What?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Re: What?

Post by -JC- »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:03 pm Still pissed about loosing the war ? 😁
So Peter's trying to show that leave voters can have intelligent opinions on the subject, and you're just going to totally undermine him, lol.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: ↑Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:20 am
Jasonmarie wrote: ↑Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:08 am Might be to do customs as my order of parts from the USA had a Β£27 customs charge :banghead:
Was that for VAT ? I think it's got to be paid on all new goods coming into the country.

Andrew.

Yes your right it was Vat , so are they putting vat on all overseas post ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

-JC- wrote: ↑Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:19 pm
Peter-S wrote: ↑Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:47 am
-JC- wrote: ↑Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:12 pm Well mine was a statement, yours was countering. Usually the person countering would add something to, well counter. You just did the equivalent of the schoolyard "No u". It's ok though, I've not met one person who can coherently explain why they thought Leave was a good idea, so didn't really expect much in the way of detail. You've aways seemed way smarter than the average Brexiteer though so was prepared to be surprised.
The thing is JC, the word 'stupid' is potentially insulting. Had you said walking along a railway track was stupid I would probably agree but there will be times that it is safe so an explanation why would still be good. A bold statement that Brexit, with its many facets, was 'always' stupid raises you above 17million people that disagree without a hint of justification. I am aware that 16m people probably support your views, although maybe not calling Brexit stupid as such, but you can't expect much of a counter argument with that approach. I have no problem with you not agreeing with Brexit but I'm not going to try and convert you on a car forum because I'm sure I can't be better than all the other people that can't put forward a coherent argument.
Fair enough. I do think that the idea was a poorly thought out one, the full implications of it weren't understood by the politicians let alone the electorate, and the public were demonstrably lied to by Johnson, Farage etc. They pushed for it because it suited them, not the country. My opinion is that many people voted leave out of either some sort of old fashioned rose tinted idea of having a British empire again, because of misinformation circulated in the tabloids about Euro bureaucracy or plain old fashioned racism.

I work in immigration, and had told people that it won't stop 'foreigners taking our jobs and claiming our benefits'. In fact it's the opposite of what those people want - immigration into the UK is now harder for Europeans, but it's created/creating shortages in the labour market that need to be filled. That's meant new immigration avenues for everyone, whereas before it was just Europeans that could do jobs like seasonal agricultural work (fruit pickers etc). So all it's done is swapped poorly paid white eastern europeans for poorly paid people of any skin colour.

The 17m you speak of - opinions have changed somewhat since:
In recent months, a handful of polls by ComRes, Deltapoll and YouGov have posed that question again. On average, they have found that 53% would vote Remain and 47% Leave - the same as at the end of January.
(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55416939 )

15.5m now say they would still vote leave, so ~1.5m people admit they made a mistake. With the benefit of the information we should have had before going to the polls, the decision would have been 53% in favour of remaining, based on those polls. Admittedly not as accurate as the sample size of a formal referendum. I'm actually suprised the numbers aren't higher than that for people who are prepared to admit they made a mistake. Let's face it too, people are stubborn, the numbers for people who know it but can't admit it will be high too, not to mention those who can't even admit it to themselves.

We've seen lost jobs due to compaines leaving the UK and taking their business abroad, companies stopping imports into the UK, devaluation of the pound, fiascos with commercial traffic into the UK, fishing rights etc, lies about the NI border, loss of rights to live and work in Europe to name just a few negatives. Have there been any (real, measurable) positives to Brexit so far?
I dare say you can currently provide plenty of 'evidence' to support the 'mistake' point of view. There were always going to be big changes as a result of Brexit. Its a big change and I'm not surprised at the opinion poll results. I do not think the poll change is that significant really as this is early days in a project to give us independence for the future and I think it is the future that will be more telling. It is far too early to assess success/failure at present. People like instant results these days but there was never going to be an instant result only new issues to deal with that would cause problems initially and they have been exacerbated by Covid. With our strong economy and without European pettiness, amply demonstrated very recently, I believe that we will be more prosperous as a country. There will be down sides but there were down sides before (European Courts in my view for example) but it will be a few years before one of us can truly say 'see I was right'. Obviously I hope I can say it to you but I accept that you might be saying it to me.
As far as I am concerned there was a democratic vote. I know that a lot of people suggest that leavers didn't know what they were voting for and it wasn't properly explained but there was a long campaign with ample time for remainers to get there message across and if they failed to do so when it was so obvious you have to ask why.
At the end of the day though, and I'm not gloating or pretending to be superior, it has happened and we have to adapt.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Sure, it might work out to be not too bad in the end, but imo the cost was always too high. The fundamental freedoms given by EU membership (movement of people, goods etc) were invaluable, and no matter how good things turn out, it can't compensate for those in my opinion.

Yes, the message put out by the remain campaign was disastrous. If they'd done a better job I'm sure things would have been different. The leave campaign lied through their teeth and got away with it, which is a bad precedent to set, especially when part of Brexit is handing more power to those people. How people have any faith in Johnson and Farage I will never understand.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

-JC- wrote: ↑Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:40 am
Mc Tool wrote: ↑Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:03 pm Still pissed about loosing the war ? 😁
So Peter's trying to show that leave voters can have intelligent opinions on the subject, and you're just going to totally undermine him, lol.
Well , yeah ,you think😁 , but I dont really think my inane comments are going to bother Peter (hope not ), and anyhow ,what the George Rodgers would I know about brexit πŸ™„
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:01 pm what the George Rodgers would I know about brexit πŸ™„
Thanks to my moaning, you know the difficulties some people have buying diecast models from Europe ! :)

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

[/quote]
Well , yeah ,you think😁 , but I dont really think my inane comments are going to bother Peter
[/quote]

No Hamish, it's what I come here forπŸ˜‚
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

That coat Nick you put up is that for Andrew ? As I am sure my dad has one for flashing in the park ?

Also found out today that if you ask Alexa what the best Engine in the world is she only says β€œ The Pinto β€œ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Jasonmarie wrote: ↑Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:35 pm

Also found out today that if you ask Alexa what the best Engine in the world is she only says β€œ The Pinto β€œ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah yes , but what would she say if anyone else asked πŸ˜†?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: ↑Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:35 pm That coat Nick you put up is that for Andrew ? As I am sure my dad has one for flashing in the park ?
So that's where I know him from. I knew I'd seen him somewhere before ! :lol:

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: ↑Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:03 pm
Jasonmarie wrote: ↑Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:35 pm That coat Nick you put up is that for Andrew ? As I am sure my dad has one for flashing in the park ?
So that's where I know him from. I knew I'd seen him somewhere before ! :lol:

Andrew.
Saw him from those bushes near the path no doubt :twisted:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Jesus.!!! You're Dad looks well Jason... :lol:

I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote: ↑Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:35 pm
Thats funny Jason as every night before i go to sleep, my mirror on the ceiling :shock: tells me the Pinto is the best engine in the world too :) :wave:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Peter-S wrote: ↑Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:36 am
Well , yeah ,you think😁 , but I dont really think my inane comments are going to bother Peter
[/quote]

No Hamish, it's what I come here forπŸ˜‚
[/quote]

Aw shit man 😲, Im not the new Glynn , am I ? 😁
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:04 am Im not the new Glynn , am I ? 😁

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Wow thats a clever cat
IMG_20210621_212323.jpg
IMG_20210621_212215.jpg

My boys are very talented πŸ™„ at doing feck all 😁
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I really don't fit in with threads like this where the adults drift off into such serious talk as Brexit as I'm very lucky and seem to have an ability to focus on the good things around me which make me happy and I simply zone out.

But, I do have a question for the grown ups - whether Brexit or not, whether in the EU or not, on a personal level does it really matter or make any difference?

I mean, in the years of Brexit/EU turmoil which we have been embroiled in, the only detrimental thing so far for me as been Andrew telling me that I cannot buy model cars from one website in Germany. Other than that, I wouldn't really know whether I was in the EU or not. See?
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

pbar wrote: ↑Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:14 am I simply zone out.
Euro-zone out :lol:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:04 am Aw shit man 😲, Im not the new Glynn , am I ? 😁
Better than being the old one ;) :lol:

(Sorry Glyn if you happen to see this!!)
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

pbar wrote: ↑Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:14 am I really don't fit in with threads like this where the adults drift off into such serious talk as Brexit as I'm very lucky and seem to have an ability to focus on the good things around me which make me happy and I simply zone out.

But, I do have a question for the grown ups - whether Brexit or not, whether in the EU or not, on a personal level does it really matter or make any difference?

I mean, in the years of Brexit/EU turmoil which we have been embroiled in, the only detrimental thing so far for me as been Andrew telling me that I cannot buy model cars from one website in Germany. Other than that, I wouldn't really know whether I was in the EU or not. See?
So, conclusive proof from the man in the street that Brexit was right/wrong after all :lol: