What?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: What?

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:27 pm
D366Y wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:19 am I got bored of listening
I'll remember to keep my conversation short when I'm talking to you !
Danny?......Danny?......are you still there? :lol:

Andrew.
:lol:
I was only there to drop my old man off to pick up his car and leave again, 45minutes later we still hadn't left - bearing in mind it was Saturday at midday! - because this chap was rambling on about all sorts of old tosh :roll:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

-JC- wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:12 pm Well mine was a statement, yours was countering. Usually the person countering would add something to, well counter. You just did the equivalent of the schoolyard "No u". It's ok though, I've not met one person who can coherently explain why they thought Leave was a good idea, so didn't really expect much in the way of detail. You've aways seemed way smarter than the average Brexiteer though so was prepared to be surprised.
The thing is JC, the word 'stupid' is potentially insulting. Had you said walking along a railway track was stupid I would probably agree but there will be times that it is safe so an explanation why would still be good. A bold statement that Brexit, with its many facets, was 'always' stupid raises you above 17million people that disagree without a hint of justification. I am aware that 16m people probably support your views, although maybe not calling Brexit stupid as such, but you can't expect much of a counter argument with that approach. I have no problem with you not agreeing with Brexit but I'm not going to try and convert you on a car forum because I'm sure I can't be better than all the other people that can't put forward a coherent argument.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Wasn't going to contribute to this question until I had some hard evidence.

Needed a new header tank for my 2.8i this week (old one split). None of the well known suppliers have either new repros nor second hand. I noted one second hand one changed hands on this forum last week, but that seems a lucky find!

Found that Motomobil in Munich have alloy repro ones, so ordered it Tuesday, they sent it DHL Tuesday night and it was delivered this morning, ie inside 3 days.
I'd suggest any supplier not sending to UK from within EU is just lazy or perhaps a politically engaged person grinding their axe.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Noel wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:29 am I'd suggest any supplier not sending to UK from within EU is just lazy or perhaps a politically engaged person grinding their axe.
That's a possiblilty. I've had 1/43 diecast posted from Germany for under £8, yet some sellers want to charge up to £35 because "everything was easier before Brexit". Unfortunately, that limits the market for us consumers.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

It seems to me that several sellers, including the one I mentioned in the original post, are willing to post to the US, for example, and at a reasonable cost. If a parcel is being sent out of the European Union it needs to have a customs label. What's so different about a parcel that's destined for the UK? It's so frustrating.

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Peter-S wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:47 am
-JC- wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:12 pm Well mine was a statement, yours was countering. Usually the person countering would add something to, well counter. You just did the equivalent of the schoolyard "No u". It's ok though, I've not met one person who can coherently explain why they thought Leave was a good idea, so didn't really expect much in the way of detail. You've aways seemed way smarter than the average Brexiteer though so was prepared to be surprised.
The thing is JC, the word 'stupid' is potentially insulting. Had you said walking along a railway track was stupid I would probably agree but there will be times that it is safe so an explanation why would still be good. A bold statement that Brexit, with its many facets, was 'always' stupid raises you above 17million people that disagree without a hint of justification. I am aware that 16m people probably support your views, although maybe not calling Brexit stupid as such, but you can't expect much of a counter argument with that approach. I have no problem with you not agreeing with Brexit but I'm not going to try and convert you on a car forum because I'm sure I can't be better than all the other people that can't put forward a coherent argument.
Everything's become completely polarised and voting for whatever you voted for seems to invoke anger from those folks that suddenly feel ideologically opposed to you.

I don't know anything about international trade, but used my knowledge of history to vote remain, as a certain Austrian gentleman took advantage of all the divided provinces to good effect 80 years ago.

But that doesn't mean somebody who voted leave is wrong, it's just a different opinion based on their own experiences and knowledge. Life is highly nuanced.

I constantly revise my opinion and ask questions in life, to do that effectively I talk with vicars, criminals, racists, immigrants... capitalists, anarchists, hunters, vegans, homeless people and folk so rich they own their own airfields. I even talk to some VW enthusiasts. Everyone has something useful inside them. Disagree and discuss for sure, that's how we learn, but don't feel forced apart by some political 'I am red, you are blue and therefore we can't be friends' narrative, we're not soldiers on the Somme, it's theatrical political nonsense, don't get caught up in it, make your choice and move on.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Noel wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:29 am perhaps a politically engaged person grinding their axe.

Exactly what I was thinking. Someone with a bee in their bonnet, oh so you Brits don't want to be with us all in Europe then, fine, buy your model cars from elsewhere then! That kind of thing.

Could be someone who hasn't got over the '66 World Cup yet. Will just be a one off I would think.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:37 pm
Noel wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:29 am perhaps a politically engaged person grinding their axe.

Exactly what I was thinking. Someone with a bee in their bonnet, oh so you Brits don't want to be with us all in Europe then, fine, buy your model cars from elsewhere then! That kind of thing.

Could be someone who hasn't got over the '66 World Cup yet. Will just be a one off I would think.
Maybe they saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Peter-S wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:47 am
Fair enough. I do think that the idea was a poorly thought out one, the full implications of it weren't understood by the politicians let alone the electorate, and the public were demonstrably lied to by Johnson, Farage etc. They pushed for it because it suited them, not the country. My opinion is that many people voted leave out of either some sort of old fashioned rose tinted idea of having a British empire again, because of misinformation circulated in the tabloids about Euro bureaucracy or plain old fashioned racism.

I work in immigration, and had told people that it won't stop 'foreigners taking our jobs and claiming our benefits'. In fact it's the opposite of what those people want - immigration into the UK is now harder for Europeans, but it's created/creating shortages in the labour market that need to be filled. That's meant new immigration avenues for everyone, whereas before it was just Europeans that could do jobs like seasonal agricultural work (fruit pickers etc). So all it's done is swapped poorly paid white eastern europeans for poorly paid people of any skin colour.

The 17m you speak of - opinions have changed somewhat since:
In recent months, a handful of polls by ComRes, Deltapoll and YouGov have posed that question again. On average, they have found that 53% would vote Remain and 47% Leave - the same as at the end of January.
(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55416939 )

15.5m now say they would still vote leave, so ~1.5m people admit they made a mistake. With the benefit of the information we should have had before going to the polls, the decision would have been 53% in favour of remaining, based on those polls. Admittedly not as accurate as the sample size of a formal referendum. I'm actually suprised the numbers aren't higher than that for people who are prepared to admit they made a mistake. Let's face it too, people are stubborn, the numbers for people who know it but can't admit it will be high too, not to mention those who can't even admit it to themselves.

We've seen lost jobs due to compaines leaving the UK and taking their business abroad, companies stopping imports into the UK, devaluation of the pound, fiascos with commercial traffic into the UK, fishing rights etc, lies about the NI border, loss of rights to live and work in Europe to name just a few negatives. Have there been any (real, measurable) positives to Brexit so far?
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

What's the best engine oil for a Pinto 🤔🤔🤣🤣
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Still pissed about loosing the war ? 😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:54 pm What's the best engine oil for a Pinto 🤔🤔🤣🤣
Oy you 😁 one pointless discussion per thread is enough 😀😀,
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
andyd

Post by andyd »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:03 pm Still pissed about loosing the war ? 😁
Don't mention the war :doh:

I mentioned it once but think I got away with it :cheers:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:54 pm What's the best engine oil for a Pinto 🤔🤔🤣🤣
Thanks for chiming in, Nick ! :lol:
Time to lighten the mood....

You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said ‘Parking Fine.’ So that was nice..... :)

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:27 pm Maybe they saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0
Probably the funniest comedy of all time, in my opinion. Even after all these years.
We all still have a belly laugh at it, even though we know exactly what's coming because we've seen each episode a million times.
It certainly hasn't aged like all the other sitcoms that were made at around the same time.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:38 am Time to lighten the mood....

You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said ‘Parking Fine.’ So that was nice..... :)
Don't worry about getting your jacket Andrew, I got it for you mate.... :)

Ps If this was not an attempt by you to be funny Andrew, and you did indeed receice a fine parking notice then apologies for any distress my comments have caused you :wave: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:55 am I even talk to some VW enthusiasts.
I draw the line at that! :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:39 am
andyd wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:27 pm Maybe they saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0
Probably the funniest comedy of all time, in my opinion. Even after all these years.
We all still have a belly laugh at it, even though we know exactly what's coming because we've seen each episode a million times.
It certainly hasn't aged like all the other sitcoms that were made at around the same time.

Andrew.
Yes it's great to watch FT and what's left of other 70s TV that they still show, usually with warnings of 'Contains Outdated Language' :nopity:

Amazed to see the film version Are You Being Served on recently :o

Although as :cheese: as it gets, it was refreshing to hear of Mrs Slocombes pussy, Captain Peacock lusting after Miss Brahms and Mr Humphries more camp than a row of tents!

In the words of Mr Grace, "You've all done very well" :D
andyd

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:21 am

Don't worry about getting your jacket Andrew, I got it for you mate.... :)

Does that coat contain the best Capri interior Carla Check :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:21 am If this was not an attempt by you to be funny Andrew
I thought it was one of my better attempts..... :)

Andrew.