Hello...lost laser making a comeback

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
B@fink
Car(s): Fiat Tipo diseasel (daily driver)
Audi A8 luxobarge (high days, holidays and general waft)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (former daily driver, stored 15 years, rebuilt in lockdown, done, but in dire need of paint)

Re: Hello...lost laser making a comeback

Post by B@fink »

Lets take the bits off and then take a peek under the first wing
20200408_130313small.jpg
They both will need to come off anyway and look...new ones
20200408_145515small.jpg
Quick rub over with a wire wheel, bit of zinc primer, new wing on.... right? :)

....ahhhhhh no. All the no. More no. Then just to make sure, no.
20200412_102731small.jpg
20200409_115453small.jpg
oh dear. oh dear oh dear oh dear. :crying:

It was at this point I should have called someone who owned a breakers yard to come with a tow truck. But....lockdown, they were all shut.

Surely no one wants further pictures of the horrors? Is this not rotten Capri nightmare fuel enough? :shock:
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL (restoration project)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (2000-2004)
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Looking good. It's a good example of how what looks like might be simple job turns into full on fabrication of new parts. Those parts soon add up if you got to the likes of steel express. Keep going then I'm keen to see repairs on these. :applaud:
Image One day she will be back in that field!!
B@fink
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (former daily driver, stored 15 years, rebuilt in lockdown, done, but in dire need of paint)

Post by B@fink »

Its important to note, I am not a mechanic. Or a fabricator. Or a metal worker. Or an engineer. I've pretty much just picked things up as I went along. As such don't use anything here as guidance as how to rebuild anything. Because you should always use a professional who is competent to do repairs. And not some random guy on a forum jabberings as a repair guide. After my "safety first" disclaimer...here is what I fabricobbled together to try to redeem the poor old thing..... (remember, and I cannot stress this enough, seek professional help when fixing things. Because that's what they are for)

So I'll admit I wasn't ready to find...well, nothing under the front of the wing....I didn't even have lots of new sheet metal ready, just some old stuff I'd been painting on. I ordered more and made do with what I had to hand..

First off a new headlight bowl top to cut in...
20200412_110156small.jpg
Then get slap happy with the brush on zinc primer. I don't give a hoot about finish or appearance, just making the front of the car not...missing. At this point I was really just tinkering and stopping myself being bored in lockdown! I wasn't intending to get quite so...involved
20200413_165204small.jpg
Lets get a wire wheel on the grinder and see just how deep the rabbit hole goes....
20200414_112655small.jpg
ah....
20200414_163904small.jpg
20200414_163909small.jpg
Oh....

well that's not good

Ok, time to..erm..make a new front end. I guess. I've never done that before. How hard can that be?
20200414_170010small.jpg
So far so good...
Just make sure its sort of the right shape... I'm working off a pattern of nothing. Tricky.
20200415_141906small.jpg
It fits! well fits-ish. From a standing start and with naught but a can do attitude, 1 pair of pliers, 1 pair of tin snips, a small vice and a hammer I'll take that over the hideous gaping void.

At this point I'd just like to say, that if at the end of this it looks even vaguely Capri shaped it is in fact everyday proof of a miracle. This will not be a show car (to say the least) but hey, lets all remember what I started with....right?
20200415_152521small.jpg
Now the bit under the headlight...choppy choppy choppy
20200415_161456small.jpg
And finally zinc primer EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Still that should be all the rust to find. Well, I'm glad its time to put the wing on and call it a day. Because nothing further back will possibly be even slightly rusty.

No, you're right, I should check.....TBC
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Looking good!
Impressive work for having never done it before either :cheers:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

B@fink wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:19 am Its important to note, I am not a mechanic. Or a fabricator. Or a metal worker. Or an engineer. I've pretty much just picked things up as I went along.
That's like most of us on here! Good fun when you get cracking isn't it :)

Nice work on the car.
B@fink

Post by B@fink »

I knew I shouldn't have looked :o

And I really shouldn't have "just cleaned off the peeling underseal" with the wire wheel :cry:
20200416_154912small.jpg
20200416_154915small.jpg
Looks like the bit where my legs live is a little bit nibbled...
20200416_154924small.jpg
And that's where my feet sit.....crikey....

Well...in for a penny in for a pound I suppose lets try and make all those nasty little holes go away. I don't want a draught up my trouser leg and my feet getting wet after all!
20200418_103029small.jpg
first the inner wing top section...
20200419_132839small.jpg
Then the footwell fresh air ventilation...
20200419_142249small.jpg
Then the sidey leg bits need to meet the new feety bit to make a new super leggy footy boxy bit and keep my feet dry and trouser leg unruffled from the wind
20200420_164155small.jpg
And then? ZINC PRIMER EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
20200425_115831small.jpg
And then...realise you forgot the wing bracket. So put it back on and hang your head in shame fink...followed by ZINC PRIMER EVERYTHING!! (again)
20200425_135725small.jpg
And finally....join all the inner wing top from the snout to the bulkhead because it was all nibbled and somewhat lacking in structural integrity, which I personally find important. I need some of that.

Well at least that's all done. Pop a wing on and it ready for the open road...well this corner is anyway.

TBC...
B@fink

Post by B@fink »

Now...lets wingyify and hide all that solid new steel glory....
20200425_155033small.jpg
20200502_160851small.jpg
The pattern part wasn't toooo bad a fit the top corner was much too curved in and had to be convinced out by about half an inch or so and the front lip needed a bit of relaxing but other than that just lots of clamping, fettling, reclamping, bolting, jiggling, welding and general time lining up to do. They are very tricky to work with what with being a million miles long and surprisingly flexible when off the car. But its on. And it looks roughly Capri shaped. Considering what was under there I'm claiming it as "passable"

Now...the other side which is almost certainly fine.
20200503_103653small.jpg
ah.....well its not that bad
20200503_103659small.jpg
wait...why is there a hole at the top....and why is the bottom flapping in the breeze...I'm getting a sinking feeling. :o
20200503_115042small.jpg
20200503_115054small.jpg
ooooohhhh thats worse. Thats much much worse. Thats very worse. The pile on the floor is what has fallen off. And there's much more to fall off. :|
Should have called the breakers yard and had the garage occupying ruin carted off...but ooohhhhhh no. You fixed one side so now you feel invested don't you? You mug. Now you're stuck with it. :?

Nothing for it. Strike up the six million dollar theme...A car. Barely alive. We have the technology, we can rebuild it (I hope, I'm up to my neck in it now!) I even got some new shiny steel to do it with. Mmmm. Shiny.
20200505_142349small.jpg
Start with a new inner wing top
20200505_152427small.jpg
then a new headlamp bowl top. It needs one of those.
20200506_135850small.jpg
Then back, bottom and end. Might not be quite the same shape as an original but I don't have a new one, I don't have any tools to form one and it'll do for me!
Now the headlight landing panel....choppy choppy...
20200508_123946small.jpg
And that will do for this thrilling instalment of.....lost laser.

Feel free to point out the complete and utter waste of time, money, effort and high levels of being a complete mug at this point :lol: :lol: :lol:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Good to see a nice project and a Capri coming back. Takes me back a few years although I didn't have much welding fortunately.
Keep it coming :)
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
B@fink

Post by B@fink »

now...where was I? Ah yes! After choppy choppy comes the buildy buildy again...
20200508_125942small.jpg
then the frilly valance edges need a little bit of manufacturing...
20200508_152432small.jpg
which means it mostly has a snout. Sort of. I wish I was a metal worker! :?
20200509_115125small.jpg
This was followed by? ZINC PRIMER EVERYTHING!!

Happily this was just a little lock down keep my sanity project. Not regretting anything yet. Yet...
Lets work backwards now the snout is done like we did on the drivers side.
20200516_100915small.jpg
oh dear. Nibbled.
20200516_100918small.jpg
oh...wait...that leads inside :cry: its still fine....right?
20200516_100921small.jpg
Time to start filling the holes...
20200516_132932small.jpg
20200516_132937small.jpg
that should hold the top back together. I'm sure thats the worst of it...
say......whats this rust bubble in the screen corner? I don't remember that when i put it away...*POKE* (sound of crumbling metal)
20200518_135746small.jpg
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :o :o :o
I....erm.....I......erm...
Wait...that also goes inside..... I should probably lift the carpet and hope the steel gods are in a favourable mood...Please oh mighty steel gods......
20200518_151254small.jpg
GREAT MERCIFUL SAINTS ALIVE :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
There's nothing but a windscreen holding this whole corner together!! damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, I only wanted a mess about project...WHHHHHYYYYYY did i start??? WHY??? :(
Lets...erm...not jack this corner up just yet shall we? I'm just going to sit in the corner, rock back and forth and cry a little.

Right...I guess I'd better forgo pretty right now and do some emergency strengthening work before there's a loud crunch and the front drops off! First things first is hit it with the whizzy wheel and see just what is actually left I guess....gulp....

And that will be in the next thrilling installment of "Lost Laser"
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I think this is why beer was invented!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I do sympathise with you, my Laser was as rusty as that so I've been through all the pain that you are suffering!!
zeus
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri mk3 2.0S

Post by zeus »

Hello, impressive restoration, I take a place and some popcorn to see until the end.
:cool:
Thanks for all your time.
Greetings and good luck
:goodluck:
B@fink

Post by B@fink »

Now where was I...oh yes, foetal position, sobbing...

so out with the whizzy wheel and let see how deep this rabbit hole goes :?
20200518_151254small.jpg
It appears that there's....no inner sill, no left floor, no right floor, no floor bung and not a huge amount over the chassis rail. So that's gone terribly well. :cry:

Now for my second disclaimer. I am not a body repair or metal work expert. This is more than likely NOT to way to attempt to repair such a catastrophic mess. DO NOT use this as a rebuild guide. It isn't. Seek professional assistance from someone who knows how to actually repair things properly. Because that is what they are for.

Right, on with the show...and pretty welding can wait. This needs 20cc of steel plate STAT! Scalpel! Patient status RED. With flashing lights.

In all seriousness, there really really isn't a whole lot hanging this together and I just need steel in it sharpish. What follows is going to look like Frankensteins monster. Never fear (spoilers!) I put a lovely new one piece plate on and a new chassis extension afterwards (you'll see that in several episodes time probably, unless I get bored of showing strangers on the internet my year long decent into madness) but for now...the horror show.

First job is to finish off the lower part of the inner wing. It looks like all the floor and sill close onto this panel (which is missing) so for all the bits to join into 1 big bit I need this first.
20200519_122340small.jpg
There. Something to work to.

Now, emergency surgery time. Got to start sticking the good stuff to each other to hold it all in shape. First, good floor, to the inner sill flanges (still in place thankfully) to meet at the inner wing.
20200520_141452small.jpg
That's pulled the corner back together. The sill is now strong, attached to the inner wing and has some connection to the floor. Patients condition is now a lovely shade of crimson. And it may not instantly drop in 2.

Next, heavy plate over the chassis rail to join the floor above the hole to the floor below and get it strong again on the main load bearing structure. Patient condition improved to scarlet.
20200520_141455small.jpg
Then the small holes to the right of it (bell housing side that I can only assume rusted from the water getting in. I can't see it rusting the other side with all the oil mist and what not from the old pinto)
20200520_144930small.jpg
And then fill in the gopping great floor hole to make the corner strong enough for the further operation ahead (that screen will need to come out) welding onto the thick chassis cover plate so the new strong metal is going right into the chassis to hold everything as strong as it can be.
20200525_121421small.jpg
Patient off the critical list. This corner (whilst hideous and a patchwork quilt) is capable of holding me inside. Which is a start. Its actually very solid at this point, the heavy chassis plate into the chassis leg and the floor onto that has worked wonders for its "likely to snap in 2" levels Condition a dusky pink at this stage.

Now we can join the rest of the inner sill to the rest of the floor, some of the inner sill was nibbled but the floor happily was fine. Bizarre how tin worm works.
20200526_142909small.jpg
And that's it strong enough to risk lifting it. So that's a relief. Patient is feeling much better (for this corner at least) and condition is now rose pink. This is by far and away far worse than anything I've ever had to assault with a welder. Realistically it was a massive basket case fit for the breakers. But lockdown gave a bored man too much free time that could be usefully applied.

And I think that's far enough for this gripping installment. Do tune in next time for more journeys into insanity in the next episode of "Lost Laser"
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Loving these updates - fair play for sticking at it with all the welding!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
B@fink

Post by B@fink »

Now we have some strength restored to the car after the last installment I'm feeling brave enough to jack up this corner...JOY!

So I can now attach the 2nd wing (more JOY!)
20200530_114419small.jpg
20200530_120032small.jpg
This wing is a much worse fit than the drivers side, all kinds of issues getting it even close. it appear to be slightly short compared to the drivers side which is troublesome and the top was too curly. It either fits the front and has a big panel gap at the back (which looks a bit shoddy) or fits the back and falls very much short at the front (which looks truly ridiculous!) so I've jiggled it and got the best fit I could. Such is the joy of pattern parts I guess. At least trial fitting the lights means I've gotten it somewhere close. There was no wing top and headlight bowl or valance on this side and I was making a huge amount of metal from little more than good luck at times. Frankly this can be regarded as a miraculous event that its actually Capri shaped!

Now....that troublesome hole in that scuttle panel I jabbed with my digit and regretted....

Only thing for it is remove the windscreen. I'm not sure if you've tried shoving one of these out on your own, on the hottest day of the year willing it not to smash into a millionty bits but its good cardio. I also didn't take any photos. Because I'm not an octopus and my hands were somewhat occupied.

Once its out....oh dear. Oh deary dear.
20200531_154006small.jpg
20200531_153953small.jpg
Yes. I'm not expert but...That is in fact ruined.

Well I've come this far. How much harder can it get? I mean, lockdown was well underway by now and Mr Sun had his hat on, what else was I going to do with evenings and weekends?

So, out with a teeny tiny dremel cutting disc and nibble nibble....
And then...first a window lip, tricky making it bend in 2 directions and L shaped with nothing but a hammer and a can do attitude!
20200608_143112small.jpg
Then we make a fill in piece to butt weld in the missing bit
20200608_151241small.jpg
And then the side part to lead to the A post all covered with ZINC PRIME EVERYTHING...and a little matt black
20200609_121726small.jpg
and then do the other side!

20200613_094253small.jpg
Then squeeze the window back in.

I'm not sure if you've tried shoving one of these in on your own, on the hottest day of the year willing it not to smash into a millionty bits but its good cardio. Better than shoving it out I would say. I also didn't take any photos because (despite exposure to all kinds of paint and seam sealer) I still haven't mutated into an octopus and my hands were still full.
20200613_144927small.jpg
20200613_151336small.jpg
There. Doesn't that look happier? Needs someone to smooth over with filler and paint but its an improvement over hideous gaping rust cavern...and since I have no idea what I'm doing and it looks like car again, I'm calling it a win.

And I'm calling this thrilling installment of Lost Laser finished at that. Tune in next time for more lockdown capers as I discover what bits of the car remain further back (spoilers, not much)
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Looks bloody nice so far.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
B@fink

Post by B@fink »

Well, everything north of the windscreen is positively rock solid after what turned into a couple or 3 lockdown months of hitting steel with a whacky stick and using the old metal glue gun to smoosh it together. It is therefore with much confidence that I can peek underneath and not be remotely troubled by anything under there. Because that will allllll be fine. Right?

first thing was to buy myself something to hold the car in the air. As much fun as laying underneath a shower of welding spatter is with it falling in your ears and up your sleeves the fun very very very rapidly wears riiiight out. Plus if you sit up quick when a blob of weld does do that, you don't half clatter the old noggin on the bottom of the car. And so..... since the budget would stretch to it what with not hosing money away on food and fuel thanks to lock down, I bought this wonderful piece of kit. And it made my life SOOOOO much easier. Truly a wonderous invention and may its creator be blessed with riches and joy. Seriously. I hardly set myself on fire or had weld up my sleeves at all.
20200614_114533small.jpg
Now on to the belly.... First off was a new floor to cover the patchwork quilt I'd had to lash in to stop the nose from falling off!
20200614_151915small.jpg
You can only see a bit of it but that curves up and becomes the passenger front footwell as a lovely big strong bit of metal. And then had a new shiny floor strengthener put on. Added benefit is the floor is effectively double skinned in places, so if any passengers get the urge to panic and "brake" for me, they won't kick through the floor :lol:

Now..lets see whats further back...
20200620_140001small.jpg
ah...
20200620_140024small.jpg
Aw.....I need those bits for stopping the axle dropping off. Dashed inconvenient.

Nothing for it than to fill in the gaps with some nice thick steel. Bit of a pain to cut with tin snips but it replaces the previous thick steel Ford left there before the tin worm found it and gave it a nibble.
20200623_181335small.jpg
There, solid as a 1980s Ford ever was. Deep joy.
20200625_162209small.jpg
And then the arch. This is just a small bit of the inner arch that was done passenger side, there was the equivalent bits missing at the back of the arch and where the wheel spray meets the flat bit at the back. But frankly there are only some many photos I can take when I am crawling about on hard floors, covered in steel, trying to avoid being on fire.

And then what do we do after we weld boys and girls? ZINC PRIMER EVERYTHING!!!
20200712_120642small.jpg
20200712_120653small.jpg
(so much I have zinc primer stalactites, if a jobs worth doing, its worth doing with ALLLL the paint!)
20200712_120701small.jpg
There. And with that arty along the belly shot of fresh steel and fresh zinc primer I shall leave this installment. Back wheel forward all done for the passenger side. Why, I must be just about completely finished with nary a job left to do. :sarcasmalert: Not to deliver and spoilers but...ooooooo the next episode is a journey into utter insanity. Stay tuned for more.....LOOOOOOSSSSSTTTTT LAAAASSSSSEEEERRRRRR :drama:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I'm on (rusty) tenterhooks😀
B@fink

Post by B@fink »

So the left hand side, passenger floor and snout are all made of metal. Clearly victory is nigh! I've defeated the evil tin worm and its minions of doom. Down the pub for a pint...oh wait, this was mid lock down 2020. Down the garden with a tin of special brew. But I'll just check the other side.....just in case...

Just peep under the drivers side carpet....
20200719_085543small.jpg
20200719_085551small.jpg
20200719_085651small.jpg
Oh no. The back corner appears to have....gone...well, that's not too bad compared to what I've seen thus far. And the floor and inner sill has gone a bit nibbly (right next to the chassis number....need to be careful there, don't want to obliterate that!) And for some reason the seat mount has cracked and is falling out. Could have been entertaining if I didn't fix that!

Only one thing for it Weldity weld!
20200719_110822small.jpg
There...now I can do a tap dance in there and my trotters will stay indoors. Deep joy!

But Mr Fink...last installment you said a "journey into insanity" you are thinking.....well...

The back arch had a crusty run of bubbles right at the top. I shall just give that a little tickle with the wire wheel to tidy it up thinks I, what can go wrong...
20200719_123942small.jpg
NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo its...gone. Its all gone... :o I'll just look under the arch....
20200719_123953small.jpg
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :shock: thats all gone too...erm....
20200719_123955small.jpg
And so is the rear suspension mount.... :( damndamndamndamndamndamndamndamndamndamn
20200719_124002(0)small.jpg
Ah Christ on a bike, so is the bump stop mount
20200719_124013small.jpg
and the thick chassis in front of the spring :doh:
20200719_124015small.jpg
And the chassis leg. Hell, a mouse has even moved in and made a nest :|

What the blazes to I do with all that!!!!!! :?
No. Really.
I've built 60% of the stupid f*&%ing thing and it throws that at me? Inconsiderate swine! Its not like I can stop now! I'm in too deep, I've done too much. I'm going back to sit in my corner and rock quietly to myself....

How to I make all that?!?!?!! well, I guess you'll have to tune in for the next thrilling installment of LOOOOooooooosssssstttt LLLLAaaaaaaaasssseeeerrr..... :drama:
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Ouch, ouch & thrice ouch !!!!!!!!

Good luck :shock: