Dans Capri II project.

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Danthecapriman
Car(s): 1974 Ford Capri mk2 1.6L restoration project.

Dans Capri II project.

Post by Danthecapriman »

Hello Capri forum!

My names Dan, I live on the south coast of the U.K. not too far from Sunny Portsmouth. I’m a life long Capri lover and this is my current project.
This story actually begins in 2001. I was an old Ford fanatic right back even in my school kid years, the Capri was the object of my affections. Of course in the 90’s and even early 00’s Capri’s weren’t exactly the most popular of cars but I still loved them!
I left school in 2001 and vowed to finally get the car I always promised myself!
Which actually turned out to be pretty simple. Literally just around the corner from home a pair of Capri’s turned up on the roadside with for sale signs in the windows. It was meant to be!!
The first car was a 71 mk1 1.6XL, this was the car I really wanted, but I couldn’t afford the £700 asking price so I looked at the other car...
This was a 74 mk2 1.6L. At the princely sum of £100 for a taxed and mot’d Capri I phoned the seller, arranged a viewing that evening and then went to have a proper look at it with my dad (and my £100 in hand!). I won’t lie, the car had it’s fair share of problems but even in 2001 it was an old car so it was to be expected. I handed over the cash and dad drove the old nail home with me as passenger. I didn’t even have a driving license at the time (Sept 01) but you can imagine how ecstatic I was at having grabbed my dream car at that age!

So, what did £100 buy me? Well...
085614E0-69FB-41E8-97D6-7E01E1ECBD83.jpeg
5EC7DA59-E817-40B4-A7AC-FB541801FF81.jpeg
14287413-1F1A-4002-882C-ACE835DC9987.jpeg
0358D835-13C6-476D-87F2-766C695B87F6.jpeg
At first glance, not half bad! I’d scored an early Capri, with lots of original features still. It ran well, it drove ok and it stopped ok. It had tax and mot still too.
The downsides were that it had been vandalised, one door and rear quarter having been booted in. It was also in dire need of some tlc as it’d clearly not been serviced or looked after for some years. It was a local car from new and had one owner before the guy I got it from (who himself only owned it a few weeks) so I think it’s first owner had simply gotten old and couldn’t keep it up together any more. It was also rather rusty!
58E3A3C7-54B8-452C-94B5-8B121D9A286D.jpeg
82286826-5B5D-47BB-8EC3-73ED291CDF11.jpeg
C45A9D06-170D-4A9F-B2AB-1429A875BDF2.jpeg
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL (restoration project)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (2000-2004)
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Re: Dans Capri II project.

Post by ian_s »

Hi Dan :wave: that looks like a handful. Do I assume you still have this motor? You don't see many mk2s these days.
Image One day she will be back in that field!!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Love the story but the big question have you still got the Capri ?
Also welcome to the forum dan or dan 3 really
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

So with the little task of getting a car sorted I set to with cooking up a plan to try to fix it.
One particularly memorable event was to take place within a couple of days of getting the car. Sadly the events of 9/11. Me and my mate were actually sat in the car at that exact time going through various bits and bobs, we had the radio on and we heard a news bulletin about a plane crash on the WTC. We thought it was a horrendous accident so rushed indoors to see the TV, as we did so the next plane came in. Funny the things you remember and where you were and what you were doing!

Anyway, my plan was to get it cosmetically sorted and painted (as cheap as possible as I had no money at that age!). It needed little in the way of structural work really and ran and drove so that was the plan.
I don’t have that many photos of the car on the computer of that period but I sorted the bodywork, and got it painted. I chose a colour swap into Roman Bronze as I liked the colour (very 70’s). Then I got it mot’d again and used it daily, fixing and replacing things as needed as time went by.
The regular use lasted until 2006/7ish when I was given a company van for a new job. In fairness to the old Capri, it’d done sterling work never really causing me any grief despite all year round use. It became a semi retired ‘toy’ really after then.

This is how it looked in about 2014ish.
A921A331-9CEE-4AE4-8106-F24058EB6515.jpeg
B96BC9DB-E82F-4E14-8AC6-E01F8DAF20F5.jpeg
The interior was swapped from the black original to a replacement brown. The original was in a right mess so I bagged the brown one off eBay. Luckily the car was a suitable colour to go with it!
By this time though, all was not well. As with most things in life you get what you pay for and resprays are no exception. The paint was pretty rough really, lots of variation in colour where it’d been sprayed badly and it had loads of micro blisters on the bonnet. The dreaded rust was fast returning too.
So in February 2016 I decided enough was enough and I really needed to do something with it before it became too bad to fix...
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

ian_s wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:18 pm Hi Dan :wave: that looks like a handful. Do I assume you still have this motor? You don't see many mk2s these days.
Jasonmarie wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:19 pm Love the story but the big question have you still got the Capri ?
Also welcome to the forum dan or dan 3 really
Cheers guys!
Yep, still got it! This thread will be story of this car to date. Telling it might take a while though. It gets rather involving!
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

I had a good idea what was wrong with the car having owned it so long so fortunately being the forward thinking chap I am I’d already started collecting up a stock of parts etc I knew I’d be needing. This saved me time and, in the end, money. As I’m sure you all know these cars are rapidly becoming sort after so prices are going up. So are the prices for parts! Buying them at that early stage meant I’d got some of them at a better price than if I’d waited. A pair of genuine Ford front wings (new unused) being case in point!
I’d thought about what I wanted to do with the car. Sort of made a decision but I was going to need to spend strong money on the car to get what I wanted. So it made sense to get a second opinion from a pro.
Lucky I did because the car turned out to be in more of a state than I’d thought it to be. My plans of fixing the rot and painting it properly, followed by sorting the interior sort of went out the window.
Basically I handed the car to the pro, told them what I was looking at doing and they had a look over the car and sadly the more they dug the more they found. They suggested trying to restore the car with the issues they’d found already might be a bad idea, given that I’d spend the money and there was still a good chance some nasties would remain hidden in places you couldn’t see. Obviously that’d be a disaster as the nasties would eventually come back ruining the work. So I decided to get the bare metalled.
The problem here would be that having a car in that state was beyond my capabilities at home so it became a pro job for the bodywork side of things. It needed it in the end too...

Goodbye Roman Bronze, hello rusty mess!
24E553C2-CFB7-4A7B-8950-38308FD47FD4.jpeg
185BCF3F-F414-454D-A35B-D2D0E633D104.jpeg
6579BC30-49EB-4BA1-8C13-C304109D9515.jpeg
This revealed everything. Every trace of rust, filler and paint was gone. Sadly some places looked like a tea bag.
A post/door hinge area was shot on both sides.
Both sills inner and outer were poor.
Outer front wings rotten.
Both rear quarter panels had been badly bodged and had rust.
Inner rear arch bowls were actually missing where they spot weld onto the outers.
Rear panel poor.
Rear edge of roof (tailgate shut area) rotten.
Front valance rotten.
Headlight bowls pretty poor.
Screen lower corners and scuttle poor.
Door frames poor on lower edges.
The list went on!

Some of that I knew about. Some I didn’t. Imagine doing a job on the car and missing some things!
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Last update for tonight. I’ll get more up here tomorrow.

Now’s probably a good time to explain my plan for this car.
It’s a very early mk2, a bit of vin decoding and digging suggests it was built in May 74 by the skilled craftsmen in Halewood. As such this car is slightly different to a normal mk2 as it still uses lots of parts from the mk1 parts bin leftovers. This is then complicated more by it being a lowly ‘L’ spec meaning it has a few more unique peasant specification bits.
Many of these things the car managed to retain. It also managed to keep its original strut tops with the vin stamps, spring hangers and various other things that often rust away on Capri’s. So, I’ve decided this car will stay as close as I can to a stock car. The only exceptions will be the colour - it was stardust silver originally. You’ll have to wait and see what colour I settled on! It’s my favourite!
The wheels, I’d ditched my original 5x13 dartboard wheels years ago stupidly and fitted laser 4 spokes. These would go in favour of a set of the deep dish 5.5x13 dartboards. Again, my favourite wheel on these cars.
Plus odd bits here and there as necessary if the stock parts I need are not available anymore. Some compromise is necessary.
One last nice surprise came up a bit later on too. The engine in this car, the trusty 1600 Pinto (early blue top) is in fact this cars factory fit engine! The numbers all match! I only discovered this after degreasing the years of crud on the block! So pretty much stock L spec car is my end goal.

Parts wise here’s a few snaps of the ever growing pile of bits for the project.
BB0E5FD2-09FA-419E-80DE-012CAEE831F2.jpeg
BB26D99A-11CF-4E87-874D-172374FEF1A7.jpeg
23D13AF6-2AB4-4F17-9697-AFB39D3B34E0.jpeg
554BD94D-E4D8-4066-A19B-5D4826917CA3.jpeg
9538DF5A-ED50-42BA-B60C-77118864ADAA.jpeg
And plenty more besides!
I’ll do a more thorough run down of things in the next updates tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Hmm, no idea why those pics have ended up upside down!?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Danthecapriman wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:27 pm Hmm, no idea why those pics have ended up upside down!?
No idea, I've never seen that before but well done for somehow managing to do it... :lol:

Looking forward to seeing how things are coming along :)

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

D366Y wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:14 am
Danthecapriman wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:27 pm Hmm, no idea why those pics have ended up upside down!?
No idea, I've never seen that before but well done for somehow managing to do it... :lol:

Looking forward to seeing how things are coming along :)

Cheers
Danny
Cheers Danny.
I think it might be something to do with the way up my iPad was held when the pics were taken? Maybe!? Oh well.

So at this point I had a bare metal shell with lots of fresh air where there was once rust, filler and underseal. Great! :banghead:
Looking at it, it was in a bad way. The A post rot had completely eaten away at the lower section where the sill ends and the floor/heel board bit join together. Also further up where the screen surround corners were on the scuttle. It had gone through on the outer panel, then the inside one. Probably explains the water leaks! It was so bad the car would probably have just folded up if there was any sort of impact to the front end. Not cool.
The front valance is unique to the mk2 and is no longer available new. Sadly mine was rotten along the lower edge and the two outer edges where the front wings join. The front cross member was absolutely hanging too, it was just rusty cornflakes and piles of old mot patches holding it together.
Inner and outer sills were pretty bad as was the rear panel.
The rear quarter panels were shocking! One had been dented and then filled without knocking the dent out first so the filler was rather thick. Also, at some stage someone had replaced the rear arches. Trouble was, they’d done so by slicing of the old ones, then slicing a big strip out of the inner arch bowls where the two join. Then slapped the new arches on and just tacked them on without even bothering to do a flush join. They hadn’t bothered replacing the inner bowls either so the arches themselves were just hanging there.
The roof rear edge inside the tailgate shut had become holed too. And the door frames weren’t great. Plus there were a few small odd patches dotted around the car.

Fortunately I’d been good/lucky at building up a head of panels for this over the years leading up to the rebuild. Including:
Gen NOS mk2 front wings (pair).
Gen NOS mk2 front valance and front panel assembly. This was an unbelievable find and I’ve not seen one since either!
Both sills, inner and outer.
Gen NOS door skin, plus one non Oe part for the other side.
Pair of non gen A post panels.
Pair of non gen headlight bowls.
Pair of non gen scuttle ends (outer).
Plus other assorted bits I’ve forgotten about!

First job to do was put some strength back into the shell so a steel frame was built and welded into the cabin to brace everything.
Once that was done the sills were sliced out and replaced along with a section of both front floor pans and some custom made sections for the heel board/bulkhead area.
Then the A posts were attacked. This took some effort to get right as there was so little left of the original ones, plus the door hinges needed aligning properly. This was then followed by the scuttle ends, the inner panels were fabricated from scratch by the panel beater at the body shop. He did a superb job of it too. Then the outers were attached. Then the front cross member was replaced.

Here’s a snap of the car once some of the repairs had been done to the inner wing and A post one side. I’ve got loads of others but can’t upload them to here as they’re too big. Apparently?
C4D9D4EA-22ED-4134-83B4-BE49FF803244.jpeg
This was when things went a bit wrong.
Progress, while it’d been good standard, was slow and the bills were big so I made the decision to shelf the whole project. Besides that, things in life had taken a bit of a bad turn too which didn’t help things, or my enthusiasm. Tbh, I was on the cusp of giving up and getting rid of the car at one bit. Luckily a mate of mine came through and helped enormously which was actually what saved the project.
After a few months break from things I trailered the car to another body shop to get the remaining bits done then the paint job.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Hopefully the links to my Flickr will work for the in-progress shots.

Here’s the front cross member. The rotten valance was chopped out for access.

ImageFord Capri mk2 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

A post, inner wing one side.

And t’other.

Sills.

Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Floors etc.

This shows the horrendous state of the rear arches and quarters. Both were like this!

Special mention here goes to my tow car! Trusty old Volvo 740. Tows with ease (but guzzles fuel!). That car itself was a freebie which I dragged home and spent several months stripping and fixing. I had to weld in new rear floor pans to that too. Worth it though as I love these old Swedes!
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

The new body shop were absolutely superb. I’m glad I picked them and they did it all far far cheaper than the last place did.
The brief for them was to continue sorting the bodywork. Prep and paint then finally refit the engine and gearbox (which I was working on at home at this time) and also just enough to get the axles and wheels back on (which I’d also been working on). This would then give me a pristine body and enable the car to ‘roll’ making storage and working on the car at home easier.
In the end I also got them to put the glass and headlining back in as they’re not jobs I particularly enjoy doing!

The next few months saw the front valance replaced with my new replacement one. The rear panel replaced aswell as the rear inner corners and rear inner arch bowls. These were non Oe panels, while they’re a godsend to have they did take a bit of fettling to get them fitting right.
A decision was made about the rear quarter panels too. These are available new (non gen) but they’re not cheap! In the end I decided to go for the full replacement panels both sides instead of trying to repair the original ones. Many extra hours were spent on these making them as sharp and well fitting as genuine ones would be. It costs more in labour but since I was doing this anyway I decided why the hell not!? Do it right. The guy I used to do this this time round was a real craftsman, he did a superb job and seemed to enjoy himself doing it too which is always good.

Here’s the car nearing completion of the shell.

Gradually getting there!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

What we do for the love of the Capri :lol: she’s going to be a very nice car when done well done dan
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

In addition to this I got a repair panel for the damaged rear edge of the roof. This was cut from a rust free mk3 donor car, then carefully picked apart, cut to size and welded in.

We then found a problem. It turned out that whoever had blasted the car right at the start had managed to allow excess heat to build in the bonnet and roof skin which lead to distortion. I couldn’t barely see it tbh but my body man said it’d look horrendous if you painted it like this. He managed to sort it out with minimal filler work but it did add quite a few hours labour doing so. Goes to show, that with blasting you need to be very careful.

Moving on now to the doors. I had a pair of new skins to go on but the frames of both doors were rusty. One had its old skin removed and turned out the frame was repairable so we stuck with that adding the new skin. Sadly the other was beyond help. I had to go track down a good replacement one, which aren’t as easy to find now as they were! Got one in the end and this too got a new skin added.
The tailgate was actually a used mk3 item that I fitted to the car the first time it was painted. This was solid but had a mk3 rubber spoiler. I really don’t like these on mk2’s and it got overlooked last time so I was stuck with it. This time it was unceremoniously ripped off and binned! The fixings welded up. It also had a rear wiper fitted... a mk2 L spec shouldn’t have one so this too was removed and the hole welded up. Other than that it was a good panel.
The spare wheel well also received some small repairs as necessary.

The car then got several coats of black epoxy primer to help keep moisture away from the metal.

The photos don’t do this justice! Seeing it like this was unbelievable in all honesty. Touching it, it was silk smooth.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

While all this was going on I had the oily bits on the bench at home working my way through them.

Most of the mechanical stuff was actually in excellent condition inside, despite the way it looked! I’ve got a feeling the mileage on this car (currently stands at 32k) might be genuine given the condition of mechanical bits.

The engine is the cars original unit. The numbers all match the vin etc still. Quite unusual after this long to have managed to retain it. I had toyed with the idea of getting a 2.0 to replace it at one bit, but in all honesty this engines always been good in my ownership and the fact it’s the original I opted to stick with it.

Here it is as it came out of the car. Absolutely filthy!

ImageFord Capri mk2 BBK244M engine. by Dan Clark, on Flickr

I stripped it down to have a look inside but all was well with it. Even so, I did many of the gaskets and seals. Then stripped all the crud and grime off. Everything has been repainted, new cam belt and other service items fitted and it’s also had new valve seals etc while I was at it. The head had actually already had unleaded seats installed. I did this years back so that saved me some time and money. The clutch is new as are the front and rear seals.

And done!

Prop shaft. Again, was in good but dirty condition. It’s been stripped, cleaned and painted. Centre bearing and rubber replaced. I decided to paint the centre bearing carrier in Ford engine blue instead of black. Just stands out a bit, don’t know why it matters really since it’s underneath!

ImageFord Capri mk2 BBK244M prop. by Dan Clark, on Flickr
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

The wheels turned up too.
I mentioned earlier I’d binned the original 5x13 steels years ago, for this car now though I’ve gone for the deep dish 5.5x13 dartboard rim. These wheels imho are one of those signature items on 70’s Fords so I wanted to go back to them. Of course these wide ones are also popular with the Escort crowd so they’re now getting expensive and difficult to find.
I got these from Germany (as I had to with loads of bits for this car). Once they turned up I had them blasted and powder coated. Although these wouldn’t have been standard to this car that wheel design is, and the extra width of these over the 5x13 version should improve the way it feels on the road. Plus they look cool!

ImageFord Capri mk2 BBK244M new wheels. by Dan Clark, on Flickr

I did keep the shiny metal centre caps from the old wheels so they should come in handy. Also picked up some NOS ones too.

ImageFord Capri mk2 BBK244M wheels. by Dan Clark, on Flickr

The heater unit was refurbished too. This is the old mk1 spec Smiths heater box. They’re quite different from the later cars and, again, are leftovers from mk1 production that were used up on these early mk2’s. They’re dead easy to open up and work on though.

Image60C32A32-CF48-4FB9-A148-989658CC3F2F by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Since it was in bits I did a full refurb on it just to be sure. Trouble is replacement parts aren’t very easy to find for these. The matrix is different (smaller but wider) and no longer available new. I bought a new mk3 item with metal tanks and modified the heater unit to accept it. The heater should be much better now with this bigger matrix. I also replaced the foam sound deadening pads inside for new. I made these from scratch from an old foam cutting mat and glued it on with impact glue.

ImageBD2A6F40-E965-4481-BBB6-3B06ADBE1BE7 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Then a problem. One of my control cables had snapped off at the end. This meant the control flaps were stuck on hot air only! No new ones seem around so in the end I bought a scrap second complete heater unit off eBay and used that for spares. I only needed the cable but I suppose it does leave me with a source of spares in future if I need them!

ImageA94244DE-E5F4-4D87-A1B8-68707FA018B3 by Dan Clark, on Flickr
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

So I had the oily bits in progress on my workbench. The body was being dealt with by the body shop. That leaves the interior...

Fortunately I’d kept the absolutely knackered black original interior so I dug that out of the loft and then sat it with the used brown replacement I’d bought some years ago.

Oh dear! It’s a bit, erm, lived in!

ImageFord Capri mk2. BBK244M. by Dan Clark, on Flickr

The brown one is better, though still not perfect. And I want to go back to the original black interior really.

The good thing here is that I’ve got two complete interiors to work with. I found a local trimmer, told him what I wanted and what I had and dropped the lot off with them.
The seats are easy. I’ll use the knackered old black ones as they need a full retrial anyway. The brown seats are now up in my loft.
The door card though we’re going to be problematic. They’re not available new, and none of the trims etc are available either. So I had to use both the black and brown ones to strip and make one good black set from both. Sadly it meant the sacrifice of the brown ones but neads must.

New back boards were cut in ply using the originals as a template. Obviously you can’t roll or curve ply like you can hardboard so the top rolled edges were chopped off the old cars and bonded to the new ply.

Once that was done the old black vinyl was carefully stripped off and reglued onto the new back boards. There were some small rips in the old vinyl but it’s been repaired as best it can be. Hard to believe this is the old black door card shown above!
The only way to fix the worn chrome coating from the trims was with a silver metallic paint. It’s not as shiny as original but it’s the best I can do.

Then the seats were trimmed in new vinyl with cloth centres, just like the original seats.

Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Back to the body now and it was finally time for paint!

I didn’t want Stardust Silver, as the car was new. It just lacked the wow factor to me. Bronze again? I like the colour but I’ve done that now. So in the end I was torn between a choice of two. Both were available on Capri’s on the 74 colour pallet, first for consideration was Purple Velvet. A truly stunning colour, and I agonised about this long and hard but eventually decided against it as I’m not 100% sure I could live with it long term, it’s quite load!
That left one other colour, that I’ve always liked. It’s a lovely colour, suits the cars shape and age but isn’t overly ‘in your face’.

So I bit the bullitt. Miami Blue it is!

ImageFord Capri mk2 BBK244M. by Dan Clark, on Flickr

It is frankly, stunning. The finish is like glass!
By this time I’d finished the majority of the running gear and dropped them off to be fitted.
Next was the headliner and glass.

ImageFord Capri mk2 BBK244M by Dan Clark, on Flickr

The glass is all the old stuff cleaned up. New rubbers with correct chrome trims came from Germany.

And the underside is equally nice!

I’m well happy with it!!
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Not long after I brought it home, where I’ll continue to rebuild everything myself.

ImageFord Capri mk2 BBK 244M. by Dan Clark, on Flickr