Laser 1600

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Re: Laser 1600

Post by Cosmicbike »

Things are moving on, well sort of, she's out of the garage!
Today was all about bolts. It took an hour to remove 2 bolts from the Volvo, one of which ended up with a drill out and re-tap. Next up, removing the bonnet catch from Debs. The securing screws were soaked in WD40 a month ago, and with a bit of effort both came out cleanly. Bonnet latch cleaned and re-fitted, it's the little things...
On to the bonnet trim next, in theory very easy with only 4 small screws....First 2 no bother, number 3 took some effort, the 4th and final needed drilling out. All that effort to see just how back the corrosion is on the leading edge of the bonnet. It's gonna need some new metal.
Since I pay tax monthly, and like others I've just been given a pay cut, she's getting SORN'd at the end of the month. No opportunities for a nice drive in the country, so I'll have to make do with giving her a run to work and back on Saturday night, last hurrah before the work starts. Quite looking forward to it.
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

After a great run to work and home again, faultless of course, she has now been SORN'd. After removing the bumper and lights etc, I had a session with the grinder, suitably donned with an 80 grip flap disc, and made a start on the drivers wing.
Paint and filler stripped from the front piece, it's not too bad, honest, and I'll probably put repairs into the original wing rather than fight to get the pattern parts to fit.
Wing 1.jpg
Wing 2.jpg
Wing 3.jpg
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

That tin worm has been eating again , I agree with patching then new pattern wing .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Dash out, door off today. Welds at the rear of the wing ground off, just 4 spot welds left back there to drill out. Its had a bit if filler at the bottom, and behind that, rust!!
Capri FEF.jpg
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Had a couple of goes at this to get the wing off, no big issues just lack of time due to prepping a new garage door and work. I managed to drill out all the spot welds along the wing rail and A post by using a 7mm socket on a 1/4" extension to extend the length of the spot weld cutter.
Not looking too bad, the A post is pretty decent, and the scuttle end seems solid..
Drivers Wing Off.jpg
The sill end will need replacing, along with another bit of patching just above
Drivers Sill End.jpg
The headlight bowl is largely shot, shame as they are quite pricey to replace. The valance isn't too bad, and I have a reasonably decent one in the loft, so another patch repair here.
Drivers HL Bowl and Valance.jpg
And finally, the strut looks OK. Cable is the indicator repeater.
Drivers Side Strut.jpg
I managed to get the old wing off with no damage, other than a few holes of course!

Next step will be stripping all the underseal, can't wait....
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Post by Brooksy »

Cosmicbike wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:14 pm Had a couple of goes at this to get the wing off, no big issues just lack of time due to prepping a new garage door and work. I managed to drill out all the spot welds along the wing rail and A post by using a 7mm socket on a 1/4" extension to extend the length of the spot weld cutter.
Not looking too bad, the A post is pretty decent, and the scuttle end seems solid..
Drivers Wing Off.jpg

The sill end will need replacing, along with another bit of patching just above
Drivers Sill End.jpg

The headlight bowl is largely shot, shame as they are quite pricey to replace. The valance isn't too bad, and I have a reasonably decent one in the loft, so another patch repair here.
Drivers HL Bowl and Valance.jpg

And finally, the strut looks OK. Cable is the indicator repeater.
Drivers Side Strut.jpg

I managed to get the old wing off with no damage, other than a few holes of course!

Next step will be stripping all the underseal, can't wait....
Great progress, :cool:
Nige Image
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Well it's been a while, unfortunately the Capri has not progressed due to other projects including new kitchens, replacing campervans and a pair of Volvo estates taking up my time, they are my daily drivers and at 29 & 25 years old need a little TLC to keep running nicely.
On a positive note, ex-pressed steel have delivered my repair panel, which, unlike the previous unbranded item, actually fits! Once I get the sill end repaired I can go about either repairing the original wing, or having fun with one of the patterns I have. I may also change the valance, I managed to get a full one with virtually no rust a few years back which I'll clean up and see how it looks. Once I get the rear suspension back together on the 240 estate I'll get Debs out the garage and hopefully get started...
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Cosmicbike wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:34 am Well it's been a while. Lots going on so the car has seen little action. I got tired of driving my T5 campervan to work and using it to ferry DIY crap around as it was getting to the point where there would be damage (8x4 ply sheets in the back and lightweight ply furniture don't mix). So I decided to try and get hold of one of my other all time faves, a Volvo 240 estate. The right one came up in January, with issues, 3 weeks MOT and in need of TLC. The focus has been on getting her running nice, and we're nearly there. 1993 injection, MAF/O2/IAC etc is a PITA, give me carbs anyday.
Volvo.jpg

Aside from a drive out a couple of weeks ago, the Laser hasn't moved. But, that's all about to change. I have in the post a pair of front wings, a battery tray, parcel shelf. So it's all stepping up, and Debs is finally getting some focus. Going to have to have one last blast before the wings come off, and when she re-emerges she'll be in 2 litre guise, and maybe a different colour.....
I love 240s 8-) and 340s. A 340 with CVT was my first car. Always wanted a 360 but never did.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.