My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Post by Jasonmarie »

That's two of us using our baths really good job there sir .also nice to see that your hole is covered up , thanks god on my card the knob stays on but I remember using blue-tac for my last capri because the knob kept falling of .

Also I bought myself some small brushes from Amazon really good for doing them hard to get places (OCD approved)

Bottle Brush, NATIONALMATER Bottle Cleaning Brushes, Cleaning Brush, Cleaner for Narrow Neck Bottles Cups with Hook, Set of 10 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KX91ZW4/ ... vzbCMA7DZ5
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

This is looking better...

Next up, fitting to the car!
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

ImageIMG_20170702_152454337 by Fairy Dreaming, on Flickr

Grille fitted!
It wasn't pretty or easy, had to hammer and bend the two MK3 grille mounting lugs out of the way just to fit it. I'll have to drill out the spot welds and remove them entirely then repaint under there, as well as buy 4 more grille fix clips and screws as this grille takes 8 and the old one only had 4, but for the meantime this works fine.
Strange how nobody ever mentions the mods you have to do to fit a mk2 grille to a mk3, but never mind it looks awesome and im super happy with it!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I think you have got away with it as it suites the car . I would have thought it was a straight swap but as normal that 5 min job turns in to a all day job . :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:I think you have got away with it as it suites the car . I would have thought it was a straight swap but as normal that 5 min job turns in to a all day job . :beer:
Yep, always the same when it comes to any job really... that's why I always like to give myself a bunch of time incase something goes wrong or is unforeseen that way there's always plenty of time to do things at a leisurely pace and stress doesn't happen.
Stress is bad. Lol.
But yeah, I think it really suits the car, gives it a proper old school muscle car look I effing love it!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Looks good. It's surprising how a little change can make such a difference to front of the car.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
Looks good. It's surprising how a little change can make such a difference to front of the car.

Andrew.
Subtle changes can make a huge difference. I really think Ford should have stuck with the MK2 grille for the MK3. I feel they took away some of its edge with that slatted grille. It doesn't look bad but it certainly doesn't have the muscle or aggressive look the MK2 grille has, and for a sporty coupe originally based off the Mustang aggression and sporty looks are everything, at least in my humble opinion.

Did a deep clean of the car today as i needed it to look its best for the insurance evaluation, heres the fruits of my labour, sweat was literally dripping off me which made drying the car a challenge lol.

Engine bay. Not a patch on Fordaholic Nick's, but not too shabby either.
ImageIMG_20170703_171201073_HDR by Fairy Dreaming, on Flickr

New grille in all its glory. Drilled out the spot welds for the old MK3 mounting points and removed them completely. I'm saving them though in case i ever want to go back to the MK3 grille and i can weld them back on. I need to get a couple more grille fix clips and screws as only 4 hold this on and theres mounting points for 8, theres only 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom at the moment. It's secure as is but...OCD. lol.
ImageIMG_20170703_171438257 by Fairy Dreaming, on Flickr

Love this photo, the sun really catches the metallic blue well here, and those 4-spokes are looking pretty nice with their brand new Uniroyal Rain Expert tyres.
ImageIMG_20170703_173307379 by Fairy Dreaming, on Flickr

Got one of the interior as well which isnt shown often as its not in the best of condition but it looked nice after a good hoovering out.
ImageIMG_20170703_171808698_HDR by Fairy Dreaming, on Flickr
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Well done, car looks great :)

Gave my engine bay a bit of a clean several weeks ago, but got bored after 20 minutes :lol:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

andyd wrote:Well done, car looks great :)

Gave my engine bay a bit of a clean several weeks ago, but got bored after 20 minutes :lol:
Thanks. Yeah, cleaning isn't the most exciting of jobs to do.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

:sneaky:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I want one of those! But I'm not paying a grand or anything near that to get one.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Paul G wrote:I want one of those! But I'm not paying a grand or anything near that to get one.
No neither would I. :tongue:

If someone were to say....make high quality fibre glass replicas for half the cost of a real one on eBay (perhaps even less) would you be interested?

:whistle:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Arya2.0S wrote:
Paul G wrote:I want one of those! But I'm not paying a grand or anything near that to get one.

If someone were to say....make high quality fibre glass replicas for half the cost of a real one on eBay (perhaps even less) would you be interested?

How long is the warranty?? :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

D366Y wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:

How long is the warranty?? :lol:
Approx however long it takes to ship, once its in your hands its over lol.

But seriously, its fibreglass, built by a man who built a ocean going yacht from fibreglass once, and has had 50+ years of experience building moulds and fairground rides and toys and car parts, i'd say thats warranty enough. ;)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote: and has had 50+ years of experience building fairground rides
Does it come with a man who stands on the back and grabs the steering wheel every now and again? :lol:

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote: and has had 50+ years of experience building fairground rides
Does it come with a man who stands on the back and grabs the steering wheel every now and again? :lol:

Andrew.
I can supply one of those for extra. ;)

I wish i had photos on my computer of the yacht my dad built. They are probably at home up in his loft, back when you took photos and had to wait a fortnight for them to be developed. I was only tiny when he built it but i remember it being massive yet he did it all by himself back when he had a gigantic workshop. Think it even won a speed trial at some point IIRC.

But yeah if its fibreglass its no problem.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote: back when you took photos and had to wait a fortnight for them to be developed.
The days when you had to send the film off to Supasnaps seems a long time ago now!

The spoiler sounds like an interesting project, I'm sure there will be some takers and I wish you luck with it.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote: back when you took photos and had to wait a fortnight for them to be developed.
The days when you had to send the film off to Supasnaps seems a long time ago now!

The spoiler sounds like an interesting project, I'm sure there will be some takers and I wish you luck with it.

Andrew.
Yeah or Boots, they used to develop photos didnt they?

Thanks. Hopefully i can come up with at least a prototype or something along those lines. We'll know for sure in a few days. ;)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: The days when you had to send the film off to Supasnaps seems a long time ago now!
It was usually Truprint for me :)

Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

pbar wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote: The days when you had to send the film off to Supasnaps seems a long time ago now!
It was usually Truprint for me :)

This brought back memories of waiting for holiday/car show snaps to come back :)
Arya2.0S wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote: The spoiler sounds like an interesting project, I'm sure there will be some takers and I wish you luck with it.

Andrew.
Thanks. Hopefully i can come up with at least a prototype or something along those lines. We'll know for sure in a few days. ;)
As Andrew said, good luck with this project :cheers: