Help finding tie rods?

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
Simmo1337
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 laser '86 (daily driver)

Help finding tie rods?

Post by Simmo1337 »

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately me and my pride of joy (1986 1.6 laser) slid into a ditch a few months back during the random cold spell and ice the UK had :cry: . Long story short, I hit a tree and buggered a lot of things up. One of those things is a bent inner tie rod - it looks like I might have both sides some how too.

I was very close to buying a full steering rack, front cross member, anti roll bar and control arms, but was outbid :roll:

I can't seem to find the inner tie rods, though. I'm sure they were used on many different cars, and probably have some generic code I can search for. Does anyone know anything about this and have any advice? Unfortunately Martin (Capri Gear) doesn't have the inner tie rods :/

Thanks for any help!

Simmo

PS - a sad before and after shot of my Capri https://imgur.com/a/QJzzrDW
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Help finding tie rods?

Post by Paul G »

I can't help you with the tie rods but what a bang you had in the car. Apart from the wing and door have you had to graft in a new rear quarter panel too?

Probably best to keep looking for a second hand rack somewhere. You could try ebay sellers colinsw or darren m or dare I say it the Capri club.
Simmo1337

Post by Simmo1337 »

Yeah - it's not going to be easy to repair the rear quarter haha!

Have you got their ebay sellers ID? I can't seem to find them on ebay to see if they have a rack or not. But I agree, I think i'll have to replace the rack, it sounds like the rods aren't really serviceable :/

Cheers!
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

I assume then that you have already gone the most obvious route and spoken to Martin at Caprigear first?
Simmo1337

Post by Simmo1337 »

Indeed I have, but I haven't asked about a rack so I might drop him an email and ask!