Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Sunroof Handle

Post by D366Y »

Bloody things, mine has snapped and I tried my best to cut it back and araldite it back together but obviously no joy there.

Anyone have one for sale please? A few on ebay for £100 :shock: was sort of hoping not to pay that much if I'm honest!

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Sunroof Handle

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:44 am Bloody things, mine has snapped and I tried my best to cut it back and araldite it back together but obviously no joy there.

Anyone have one for sale please? A few on ebay for £100 :shock: was sort of hoping not to pay that much if I'm honest!

Cheers
Danny
:( Martin might have one.

Even more convinced to keep mine shut now :lol:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

You would think that with all the makes and models of cars that had wind back sunroofs that there is one out there that would have the same spline fitting as the Fords and that could be bought for a fraction of the cost of a Ford one just to get people out of trouble.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

No sorry I am right out. I only got three cars in for breaking all through last year and out of those only two had sunroof handles and they're long gone.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:39 pm You would think that with all the makes and models of cars that had wind back sunroofs that there is one out there that would have the same spline fitting as the Fords and that could be bought for a fraction of the cost of a Ford one just to get people out of trouble.
I very much wish this was the case!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

D366Y wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:44 am Bloody things, mine has snapped and I tried my best to cut it back and araldite it back together but obviously no joy there.

Cheers
Danny
As Martin does not have any Danny I seen this one on ebay mate. You might already be one of the bidders but if not heres the link but already up to £50 and likely to go higher no doubt... :(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-G ... SwsV5e42Cw
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Thanks for the link Nick, I was highest bidder on that up to £45 but was loathed to pay any more - think I have just about sorted one for now so thanks for the replies guys!

Cheers
Danny
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

D366Y wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:04 am Thanks for the link Nick, I was highest bidder on that up to £45 but was loathed to pay any more
Yep already up to £62 with 3 days still to go. Will prob end up closer to £100 than £50. Glad you got one sorted mate.
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:16 pm
I've been like that too Andy! Wonder if there is a way to open it without pressure on the handle?

(But I am very lucky to have a superb friend who will help me out with one if the worst happens)
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:06 pm
andyd wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:16 pm
I've been like that too Andy! Wonder if there is a way to open it without pressure on the handle?

(But I am very lucky to have a superb friend who will help me out with one if the worst happens)
What I don't use I don't miss Paul :)

:cheers:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:58 pm
What I don't use I don't miss Paul :)

:cheers:
Fair enough Andy, nice relaxed mindset that is, I like it.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Well after fitting mine yesterday (eventually figured it out!) I have noticed that mine is all over the place and will need to be taken out and sorted properly - won't be using that ever again then!! :lol:

Something I didn't know and not sure if anyone else does as I've not seen it mentioned before is that there are apparently two different types of handles...

The one on the left is what I had purchased which doesn't have a notch cut out of it, and I was spending ages in the car wondering why it wouldn't fit in. Luckily I had kept the old base and stump of what was left of my handle which has a notch cut out of it so I took the pin out of the handle and swapped the bases over and got it working.

Just something else to check when you buy a replacement handle!

Cheers
Danny
andyd

Post by andyd »

Glad you got it sorted eventually Danny :)

I would be really annoyed if I broke mine, as it's not a neccesity to open it really!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

andyd wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:25 am Glad you got it sorted eventually Danny :)

I would be really annoyed if I broke mine, as it's not a neccesity to open it really!
Only took me five months to finally pull my finger out and buy one haha
The real lesson here should be "don't you even dare think about opening your sunroof" :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:40 pm
andyd wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:25 am Glad you got it sorted eventually Danny :)

The real lesson here should be "don't you even dare think about opening your sunroof" :lol:
I've added that to my account signature so I never forget :lol:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

andyd wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:32 pm
D366Y wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:40 pm

I've added that to my account signature so I never forget :lol:
:lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 am Something I didn't know and not sure if anyone else does as I've not seen it mentioned before is that there are apparently two different types of handles...
This was mentioned a while back in the club magazine. I seem to recall John mentioning that there are three different types of handle.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I never knew that , you learn something every day
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

D366Y wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 am he one on the left is what I had purchased which doesn't have a notch cut out of it, and I was spending ages in the car wondering why it wouldn't fit in. Luckily I had kept the old base and stump of what was left of my handle which has a notch cut out of it so I took the pin out of the handle and swapped the bases over and got it working.
Just something else to check when you buy a replacement handle!
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:58 pm This was mentioned a while back in the club magazine. I seem to recall John mentioning that there are three different types of handle.
I`m intrigued by this, when you say it wouldn`t fit, do you mean the handle wouldn`t fit on the splined shaft or that the round plastic trim which is located undernreath, and held by, the handle - wouldn`t fit together? As it looks like the only difference is the cut-out/recessed area the disc locates in, otherwise looks the same.
Also, re. there being 3 types, are these backwards compatible, or do they just need their particular variant trim? Surely the mechanism in the roof is the same in all cars? I mean it`s just a splined shaft with a screw in the end. So any handle `assembly` (ie handle and trim) will fit any car?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:10 am Also, re. there being 3 types, are these backwards compatible, or do they just need their particular variant trim? Surely the mechanism in the roof is the same in all cars? I mean it`s just a splined shaft with a screw in the end. So any handle `assembly` (ie handle and trim) will fit any car?
As you quite rightly pointed out, the mechanism in the roof is the same for all cars.
As far as I'm aware, the round piece of trim is slightly different for the different variants. So, yes, any handle with it's correct trim should fit any sunroof mechanism.

Andrew.