BEHR heater flaps

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
DriverDaz
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection, Granada Scorpio Cosworth, Sierra XR4x4 (Project car)

BEHR heater flaps

Post by DriverDaz »

Hi,
I've taken the BEHR heater blower out of my '81 Capri to replace the motor. Whilst it is out, I am giving the unit a good old clean-up. The rectangular flat surfaces of the control and distribution flaps are covered in a flaky substance: does anyone know if this is a decayed foam or such-like coating or just a build up of dirt? If it is a covering, what should I replace them with? Foam? Thanks.
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

Re: BEHR heater flaps

Post by Supercharged Nat »

What your describing used to be a soft thin sponge. I have recently tackled the same job. I replaced the sponge with 3mm thick self adhesive closed cell foam sheet. I used 'sticky stuff remover' to get down to the metal surface, de-rusted, painted and applied foam to both sides, trimmed the edges and around the spindles. It all went back together fine and appears to work as it should. I will try and sort out a write up as i rebuilt the resistor, and freed up to motor too.
The Duke
Car(s): Ford Capri, early 2.8i 4 speed undergoing restoration.

Re: BEHR heater flaps

Post by The Duke »

Hi,

I’ve undertaken this task also. Just cleaned off the dusty old covering and replaced with 2mm foam. As a result of the rebuild ive got a complete heater box for sale and an additional motor and resistor if anybody is looking for these items?