VIN Query

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
HampshireCapri
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

VIN Query

Post by HampshireCapri »

I’ve bought a Capri where the owner has lost the log book (last issued in 2005) so I am sending off a V62 form to the DVLA to apply for a new log book in my name.

As part of the form it asks me to complete the VIN for this particular Capri. I’ve located the plate in the usual spot above the grill at the front in the engine bay - however the form has 17 boxes to fill out with the VIN but if I’m reading my VIN plate right I only have 12 digits?

It starts GAECAG followed by six numbers. Am I reading the right section and does that sound usual for a 12 number VIN instead of 17?

Any help appreciated, I have to pay DVLA £25 along with this form and as the log book hasn’t been issued since 2005 which they might get funny about I want to make sure I send this V62 off with the correct info any help appreciated
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: VIN Query

Post by stevemarl »

I`d have said that was it, but on checking my original V5 I found this. Don`t know what the first 6 letters mean but it does make 17?:
Last edited by stevemarl on Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

HampshireCapri wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:22 pmif I’m reading my VIN plate right I only have 12 digits?
Hi,
You should have 5 numbers not 6 (the engine number) after GAECAG, and the VIN should start with WF0CXX, making 17 characters in total.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

WF0 designates that it was made in West Germany, C denotes coupe and XX are constants.

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Ah, thanks for that, couldn`t remember, in fact I thought it was just GAEC etc. completely forgot the WFOC. I guess the XX is to bring it to a standard 17 digits maybe?
HampshireCapri

Post by HampshireCapri »

I was going to PM you it Andrew but I can’t attach images to a PM? I don’t want to post it publicly

But I can’t see WF0 anywhere on the plate and there is definitely six numbers after the GAECAG
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I don`t think it appears on that plate, I think there`s another place where it`s stamped into the floor. Down the RH side of driver`s seat, there`s a flap in the carpet, fold that back and it MAY have the full number???

(To post images use tis https://postimages.org/ and copy `hotlink for forums`)

EDIT: just looked, and it IS (or should) all be on the VIN plate. Also Andrew`s xorrect, of course, there are 5 numbers for the engine. If you can`t see it, try the side of seat. (Deliberate blurring of some numbers)

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:15 pm I don`t think it appears on that plate
It does appear on mine, although it is a repro.
I searched for photos and found some more where the full number does appear on the plate:

Maybe it depends on the date of manufacture. I notice also how the style of asterisk have changed over the years.

As you say though, the stamped alpha-numeric identifier on the floor should be the correct one of 17 digits to write on the DVLA form.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:39 pm I`d have said that was it, but on checking my original V5 I found this
It's interesting to note that there was only three months between manufacture and registration for your car. The paint must have barely been dry when you drove it away from the showroom !
And what we'd give to have that hallowed "none" written in the number of former owners section... :D

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew,
my VIN plate does show the full number including the WFOCXX - I think the reason I was thinking it was just GAEC was because the dealers always used just the abbreviated version on all their incoices, order forms etc. (Must admit I am glad I saved these :) )
Oh, and I actually ordered it early July, so would`ve been an A plate but vanity made me wait for the NEW B on 1st August. Not like BL where cars were sat in a field for 6 months! This may be of interest to someone?
HampshireCapri

Post by HampshireCapri »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:54 am Andrew,
my VIN plate does show the full number including the WFOCXX - I think the reason I was thinking it was just GAEC was because the dealers always used just the abbreviated version on all their incoices, order forms etc. (Must admit I am glad I saved these :) )
Oh, and I actually ordered it early July, so would`ve been an A plate but vanity made me wait for the NEW B on 1st August. Not like BL where cars were sat in a field for 6 months! This may be of interest to someone?
Thanks Steve and Andrew will have a look under the carpet where you’ve mentioned to see it I can spot the full VIN in that location - will let you know how I get on

Also Steve is it sad that I actually am envious and impressed you’ve had your capri from new and still to this day. I sold my first Capri in 2019 after buying it in 2013 and that was gut wrenching / full of regret. Well done on sticking with the old girl!

Hoping to hold onto the Capri I’ve just bought for as long as possible - plan is to have it be a big part of my one year old sons life (and hopefully) he too will be interested in these incredible cars.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

HampshireCapri wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:04 am plan is to have it be a big part of my one year old sons life (and hopefully) he too will be interested in these incredible cars.
That`s brilliant - and it`s the only way these cars will survive! It reminded me of when our Dave was 5 (he`s 40 now) one summer night we were driving home with the roof open and, looking up, he asked "how many stars are there in this country?" The car is so packed with memories of people & times, it`s like the one constant thread that`s run through my life, you can`t replace that.
Good luck with yours!!!
Steve
HampshireCapri

Post by HampshireCapri »

Before I bought the car I did one of those online vehicle ref checks you can pay for, to get a detailed report regarding being written off, stolen etc..

Anyway I didn’t realise they also have a VIN check you can submit the VIN into and it will tell you whether the Reg plate matches the VIN on DVLA records

I tried putting in WF0CXX followed by the short VIN in my engine bay which doesn’t have the WF0CXX on it… no match.

I then tried it again and just put the 12 character VIN as it’s recorded in my engine bay and apparently it’s a match! I’m not sure why I don’t have the WF0CXX like all of those other plates listed. Or why it’s not 17 characters long but given this website has matched it as it is I’ll just send it off on the form how it’s recorded in the engine bay.

Sorry for the headache - very confusing. Thanks for the help lads. I’ll let you know in 7 months time when DVLA hopefully send me the new log book.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:25 am It reminded me of when our Dave was 5 (he`s 40 now) one summer night we were driving home with the roof open and, looking up, he asked "how many stars are there in this country?"
Ahhh nice story. It's like old buildings, almost as if an imprint of the lives lived have somehow been stored in them.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:25 am
HampshireCapri wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:04 am plan is to have it be a big part of my one year old sons life (and hopefully) he too will be interested in these incredible cars.
That`s brilliant - and it`s the only way these cars will survive! It reminded me of when our Dave was 5 (he`s 40 now) one summer night we were driving home with the roof open and, looking up, he asked "how many stars are there in this country?" The car is so packed with memories of people & times, it`s like the one constant thread that`s run through my life, you can`t replace that.
Good luck with yours!!!
Steve
I've had my 2.0 20 years next week yet I'm still a beginner 😁
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr