rubber hoses

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Essexsoulboy
Car(s): Capri 280

rubber hoses

Post by Essexsoulboy »

Just wondering what sort of products people are using to clean black plastic trims, and in particular rubber hoses around the engine bay.Over the years I've seen some REALLY smart engine bays, in particular the rubber hoses seem to have a really nice deep black shine, almost as though they have been painted with some sort of product.I've got the usual Autoglym stuff, just wondering if there's something else out there...thanks.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: rubber hoses

Post by Mc Tool »

Clean them with whatever potion you fancy , and then armor all the rubber bits ,and it may take a few applications if they are dry . I put my almost grey bumper corners in a plastic sealable bag and tipped ½ bottle of armor all , shake regularly and they look new . Been in there for 2 years now 😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

The Autoglym tyre gel does anything rubbery a power of good, its much richer than their "vinyl and rubber care". Did the rear spoiler with it too, and it has a nice blackness and suppleness to it even though its 38 years old.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Noel wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:41 am The Autoglym tyre gel does anything rubbery a power of good, its much richer than their "vinyl and rubber care". Did the rear spoiler with it too, and it has a nice blackness and suppleness to it even though its 38 years old.
Think it's actually 'Bumper' Gel, but yes I agree it is the best product I could find. Doesn't look artificial either. works well on Mk3 corner bumpers too.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

There is a Bumper Gel and a Tyre Gel. Bumper is sold as being for exterior plastics and rubbers, Tyre gel is for rubber tyres only.
I reckon they are basically the same thing (apart from the colour) but if I was doing only rubber items I would use the tyre gel.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Noel wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:02 am There is a Bumper Gel and a Tyre Gel. Bumper is sold as being for exterior plastics and rubbers, Tyre gel is for rubber tyres only.
I reckon they are basically the same thing (apart from the colour) but if I was doing only rubber items I would use the tyre gel.
Ah fair enough, I stand corrected. Never seen the tyre gel. I always use the bumper gel as stated (though not on Capris for a while now).
I use the AG Tyre Dressing spray and that is excellent too. Again, it doesn't look like the painted on, artificial stuff.
My Z4 has complicated plastic grilles under the front bumper and I find the tyre dressing brings them up well, even in all the little crevices. Reckon it would work well on a Mk2 front grille.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Black shoe polish brings rubber items up well.

Andrew.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:04 pm Black shoe polish brings rubber items up well.

Andrew.
Yeah, but it makes a mess of the sheets. :whistle:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Bug wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:13 pm
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:04 pm Black shoe polish brings rubber items up well.

Andrew.
Yeah, but it makes a mess of the sheets. :whistle:
Blacked 😆
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Bug wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:41 am
Noel wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:02 am There is a Bumper Gel and a Tyre Gel. Bumper is sold as being for exterior plastics and rubbers, Tyre gel is for rubber tyres only.
Ah fair enough, I stand corrected. Never seen the tyre gel. I always use the bumper gel as stated (though not on Capris for a while now).
I use the AG Tyre Dressing spray and that is excellent too. Again, it doesn't look like the painted on, artificial stuff.
My Z4 has complicated plastic grilles under the front bumper and I find the tyre dressing brings them up well, even in all the little crevices. Reckon it would work well on a Mk2 front grille.
Was at a top end car yard tother day and every car had that huckery looking paint on tire black that Grandad used , looked like shit .......didnt like being told either . There is here some spray on stuff called "wet look" ,dirt cheap and looks gooder
HampshireCapri
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

Post by HampshireCapri »

I’m thinking about replacing the hoses in my capri as it’s been sat since 2005 considering getting these for the carb but also the radiator hoses too

Has anyone bought them, are they easy to fit / any good ?
Attachments
A26505BF-3692-4570-989F-9B7FC865053A.jpeg
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

HampshireCapri wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:34 pm I’m thinking about replacing the hoses in my capri as it’s been sat since 2005 considering getting these for the carb but also the radiator hoses too

Has anyone bought them, are they easy to fit / any good ?
I have JS Performance hoses on my 2.8. They seem good to me and no fitting problems.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Agree with Peter, fit OK, I've not had any issues and seem to do a good job
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.