Alternator bolt

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Alternator bolt

Post by Major_Tom »

..can anyone show me a picture of the bolt which holds the alternator adjustment bracket on? Mine came off round a roundabout and nothing I have fits, it's doing my head in :lol:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Alternator bolt

Post by stevemarl »

Is that the one that holds the bracket to the block? I`m pretty sure it`s just a normal M10 (or possibly M12) bolt. if you can`t get anything to fit could it be that the thread`s been stripped previously and it`s just ripped out now? If it`s M10 you could drill out and tap for an M12?
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Yes, bracket to block.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Could someone take a photo of how the alternator attaches to thewater pump? Something's wierd here.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

This isn`t great, but maybe you can see enough. I can take a better pic tomorrow
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Im pretty sure πŸ€”its just one of the water pump bolts , just goes thru the alt bracket , m8 and about 50 -60mm long πŸ™‚
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Do yours go through the hole at the outer edge of the water pump flange or the hole directly underneath the hose and behind the pump pulley?
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Major_Tom wrote: ↑Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:02 am Do yours go through the hole at the outer edge of the water pump flange or the hole directly underneath the hose and behind the pump pulley?
I'm pretty sure (from distant memory) that mine went through the extra hole on the edge of the pump flange.
Is there room to get a nut on the back of that if the thread is gone? Can't remember?

Tbh, it doesn't matter that much where it bolts to, as long as it keeps the correct tension on the belt.
In theory, if you tighten the alternator pivot bolts and also the sliding one on the bracket, with the end of the bracket wedged tightly against the block/water pump body, then it shouldn't move anyway.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

On mine it goes through the hole beneath the heater stub, through the pump into the block, it`s an M10.

BUT, as Bug says you could possibly use the threaded hole on the `ear` of the water pump (if it`s the later, Sierra, pump - the early ones don`t have the extra `ear`)

Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Interesting. Mine used to go through the water pump, but nothing fits in there now πŸ€” so it's going through the water pump flange now.

Bizarre turn of events. There's no way the threads can be stripped as I've never been that forceful. Odd things are happening in reality recently I swear.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

stevemarl wrote: ↑Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:05 am
Oh jeez is that a medical review form I see? I had to fill one of those out for my mental health, even though it has never affected my driving, never had any convictions and after four months of them holding onto my licence, I now have to renew my licence every year.

I am appealing as it is stigmatising, stressful and completely without reason. If it was a SGC or something I could understand, but it's a driving licence.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Major_Tom wrote: ↑Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:45 am I am appealing .........
I'd like to dispute that, unless the plastic surgery went particularly well? :xd:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

stevemarl wrote: ↑Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:05 am Oh jeez is that a medical review form I see?
Thankfully no, it`s just a 10 year renewal reminder! Just happened to be on top of the pile :D
Do you have to PAY each time to renew it, that`s unfair, if they insist on annual they should at least waive the fee?

Edit: just a thought, but that bolt does also hold the water pump down, if it`s missing the pump will only be held by 2 bolts. Possibly lead to seepage, esp. if you`re tensioning the alternator against the flange?
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Bug wrote: ↑Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:55 am
Major_Tom wrote: ↑Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:45 am I am appealing .........
I'd like to dispute that, unless the plastic surgery went particularly well? :xd:
Ding dong!
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

stevemarl wrote: ↑Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:05 am
Do you have to PAY each time to renew it, that`s unfair, if they insist on annual they should at least waive the fee?
Thankfully no, but they're incapable of taking on this much workload, hence having my licence for four months for a process which normally takes two weeks.

Hmmm yes you might be right there regards to water pump. I just can't get anything to fit in the hole, oo eerr.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Sorted now, thanx for the advice and pictures guys, I hope your week is filled with gayness and cheer.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: ↑Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:13 am it`s just a 10 year renewal reminder
You have to do that if you have a photo licence I assume?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I guess so, it`s the first time for me: Β£14 on line, Β£21.50 at the P.O. (no passport required)
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Ha ,I have my right leg chopped off so short I can kneel on my dick πŸ€¬πŸ– but every 3 months I have to pay a Dr to sign a certificate saying Im still disabled so the insurance co will continue to pay out .....I mean I give up waiting for it to grow back.....talk about being friggin optimistic
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug

Post by Bug »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:50 pm Ha ,I have my right leg chopped off so short I can kneel on my dick πŸ€¬πŸ– but every 3 months I have to pay a Dr to sign a certificate saying Im still disabled so the insurance co will continue to pay out .....I mean I give up waiting for it to grow back.....talk about being friggin optimistic
You could try complaining, but you don't really have a leg to stand on. ;) :D

However, I am a little jealous.............. my leg would need to be cut off somewhere near my waist to achieve your kneeling feat. :xd: