Bumper Bolts

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Bumper Bolts

Post by pbar »

Anyone know of a source for the little black bolts which hold the rear bumper to the bracket? Either high street or online.

I'm hoping to just buy standard M8 coach bolts (and paint them black) but all of the shops I've been to, the heads are much bigger than the original ones.

Capri Club sell them, but it's £11 for 4, which I may have to pay, but bolts like this at hardware stores are a few pence each. Thanks.
B@fink
Car(s): Fiat Tipo diseasel (daily driver)
Audi A8 luxobarge (high days, holidays and general waft)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (former daily driver, stored 15 years, rebuilt in lockdown, done, but in dire need of paint)

Re: Bumper Bolts

Post by B@fink »

That’s what I did, just used coach bolts. The “coach” square part was too big to fit the bumper hole but I filed it down to fit so it held in snug and tightened up. Painted satin black and they look just like the O/E. I had no issue with the bolt head size, it was the same as the O/E ones.
pbar

Post by pbar »

I have been thinking that the square bit may be the wrong size, at least yours were too big and not too small! The round heads on the ones I've seen in the shops are quite a bit bigger than original and would be too noticeable I think, especially by me hehe. I don't expect that you got yours from a Nationwide retailer did you, such as Screwfix, etc?

I could get a pack of ten at Toolstation for just over £1, but I don't know the head size, the Ford ones are only 16mm diameter I think.

https://www.toolstation.com/coach-bolt-nut/p29533
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

If your going to paint them why not just "reshape" the heads. Im thinkin put the bolt in the drill press (or similar ) get it spinning and then use a magicut file or angle grinder (with flap disc) to reshape the head , bit of emery tape to finish her off (Nicks going to want a set of these 😉) . Must say if you go for the file make sure it has a proper handle covering the tang and wear gloves .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Aren`t there only 2, at the rear, none at the front?
pbar

Post by pbar »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:15 pm If your going to paint them why not just "reshape" the heads.
Yes I was thinking of making my own, bench grinder will do most of the work then finish off with file as you say.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

pbar wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:35 am
Mc Tool wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:15 pm If your going to paint them why not just "reshape" the heads.
Yes I was thinking of making my own, bench grinder will do most of the work then finish off with file as you say.
Even if you put the bolt in the battery drill and hold it to the grinder is sure helps to keep things even and ya dont burn your fingers.🙂
B@fink
Car(s): Fiat Tipo diseasel (daily driver)
Audi A8 luxobarge (high days, holidays and general waft)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (former daily driver, stored 15 years, rebuilt in lockdown, done, but in dire need of paint)

Post by B@fink »

They were from Amazon, I was in the middle of lockdown so I just had them sent to me and it was much cheaper than using the ones from the Capri club. They look just like the ones I took off, but not snapped and rusty. Lick of satin black sorted the silver finish. And finding something the same size is much safer than turning a bolt into a missile combining the double power tool wonderment of 2 several thousand rpm rotating power tools and a rather questionable attempt to having a 10 gram blob of steel accelerated skywards when they inevitably meet in new and exciting ways :shock: safety first and all that...
pbar

Post by pbar »

I'm sure if I search on amazon I'll get a gazillion results, please would you be able to direct me to the ones you have. Most head diameters seem to be around 20mm so that's great to find them closer to the original of around 16.
pbar

Post by pbar »

I've been able to get some bolts with the right size heads from one of those budget sell everything type shops, so job's a good 'un.
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Post by Vermilion »

pbar wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:16 pm I have been thinking that the square bit may be the wrong size, at least yours were too big and not too small! The round heads on the ones I've seen in the shops are quite a bit bigger than original and would be too noticeable I think, especially by me hehe. I don't expect that you got yours from a Nationwide retailer did you, such as Screwfix, etc?

I could get a pack of ten at Toolstation for just over £1, but I don't know the head size, the Ford ones are only 16mm diameter I think.

https://www.toolstation.com/coach-bolt-nut/p29533
Stainless (Aisi316 ones) of these would be perfect for modification.
atomic4
Car(s): Ford Capri V8 Twin turbo.
W reg black 3ltr S

Post by atomic4 »

pbar

Post by pbar »

That's the Capri Club yes, almost £11 for 4.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

If you don't have the time to tinker & just want to plug & play as it were, not excessively expensive. Picked them up from the club & fitted them on mine when doing the resto.

Jeez that was 5 years ago !!!!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Thats about what Id pay for 1 doz box of Becks or Kingfishers so if it got the job done ,not a bad price .....painted bolts wont ever be cheap 🙂
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I want to say I have a box with a couple of spares in should anyone need any (don't hold me to it) but if it's of interest let me know and they're yours for the cost of postage provided I can find them! :)
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

D366Y wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:23 am I want to say I have a box with a couple of spares in should anyone need any (don't hold me to it) but if it's of interest let me know and they're yours for the cost of postage provided I can find them! :)
😆 Oh , so like a government promise then ? 😁
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Mc Tool wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:41 pm
D366Y wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:23 am I want to say I have a box with a couple of spares in should anyone need any (don't hold me to it) but if it's of interest let me know and they're yours for the cost of postage provided I can find them! :)
😆 Oh , so like a government promise then ? 😁
:lol:
At least I will actually provide if I can rather than just bullshitting you!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

I know what you mean tho , I promised a new nla Ducati part ( blinker lens ) to someone , normally I dont let nothing go but Im never going to be able to ride the bike again and he wanted one to help finish off a project rebuild so I pledged it and now cant find it ,had 2 lefties and 2 righties . I used one leftie when I whacked it against the bedroom door frame whilst riding bike ( dont ask....... :beer: ) . Wadda ya do ? Tell him tough shit or give him the one off my bike and hope I find the missing one 🤔