Non starting fuel issue

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Gaz-LS
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 LS rolling restoration. Golf gti 1.8 turbo as my daily car.

Non starting fuel issue

Post by Gaz-LS »

Hi got a bit of problem starting my capri ,there isn't any fuel getting from tank to the carburetor. Yes fuel pump changed the fuel lines fuel filter and fuel pump still no fuel getting from tank to carburetor. There's plenty of petrol in tank petrol coming from fuel line to pump but not coming from pump, last running a couple of months back running beautifully never missed a beat. I wonder is it possible for the new pump to be faulty, very frustrating :swear: any ideas anyone.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Non starting fuel issue

Post by Peter-S »

Gaz-LS wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:42 pm Hi got a bit of problem starting my capri ,there isn't any fuel getting from tank to the carburetor. Yes fuel pump changed the fuel lines fuel filter and fuel pump still no fuel getting from tank to carburetor. There's plenty of petrol in tank petrol coming from fuel line to pump but not coming from pump, last running a couple of months back running beautifully never missed a beat. I wonder is it possible for the new pump to be faulty, very frustrating :swear: any ideas anyone.
If you disconnect the fuel line above the pump and crank the engine (get someone to hold the pipe in a jar) does fuel come out?

If it does it suggests the problem is the carb - maybe a blockage in the filter within the big brass nut or the needle valve has stuck in the closed position.

If fuel does not come through then the pump is probably at fault or the push rod that activates it is stuck.
Is the replacement pump new or just a replacement?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Didn't start mine for 3 months over the winter & had what we thought was a fuel pump issue, fuel pissing out of it when I started it.

Fitted new fuel pump, did a post mortem on the old pump thinking the diaphragm was buggered but it wasn't. Changed the float needle valve as we think the fuel had drained back past where it normally would do, causing the floats to stick, forcing fuel out of the pump breather.

Hope you get it sorted ;)
Gaz-LS
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 LS rolling restoration. Golf gti 1.8 turbo as my daily car.

Post by Gaz-LS »

Thanks for reply Peter, yes i've tried taking the fuel line off above pump going to carburetor and cranking over no fuel coming out, it is a new pump I put on mind the one I took off wasn't that old. I did put the pump what was on the car when I had it back on first and that didn't work so that's why I brought a new one.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Although unlikely, could it just be that the new pump needs priming? Maybe try pouring some fuel into it from the carb end so it`s full of fuel rather than air.
There`s not really much at all to go wrong with the mechanical fuel pump, yet here we are ;)
Edit: just re-read Peter`s reply: the pushrod IS there isn`t it?
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

Maybe worth confirming that you have the flow and return fuel lines around the correct way, if the flow is on the return it won’t drag up any fuel just air
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Is the drive piston from the block to the fuel pump still in place?
I believe they can fall out when the pump is removed?
Although if the symptoms were there before, it can't be that.

Also, have you tried it with the fuel filler cap off? Just in case it's creating a vacuum.
Gaz-LS

Post by Gaz-LS »

Arnoldhar wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:02 pm Maybe worth confirming that you have the flow and return fuel lines around the correct way, if the flow is on the return it won’t drag up any fuel just air
yes fuel lines on correct way.
Bug wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:53 am Is the drive piston from the block to the fuel pump still in place?
I believe they can fall out when the pump is removed?
Although if the symptoms were there before, it can't be that.

Also, have you tried it with the fuel filler cap off? Just in case it's creating a vacuum.
no not tried with fuel filler cap off, I try the weekend and I'll take fuel line off bottom of pump to get some petrol out and pour in carb to get it running then it might get the pump to work.
Bug

Post by Bug »

OK.
Try taking both the fuel pipes off the pump and turning the engine over by hand (spanner on the bottom pulley).
You should hear the pump sucking and blowing.
If you hear nothing then either the pump is duff, or the actuating rod fell out of the block when you changed it.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

+ 1 for taking the pump off to check the actuating rod is in place.

If not you wouldnt be the first.
Bug

Post by Bug »

In fact, that is just as quick as my idea for checking the pump.
So take it off and look for the actuating rod.
If it is there, then try pushing the pump in and out. You should be able to hear/feel air being pumped through it if it's working properly.
Gaz-LS

Post by Gaz-LS »

Bug wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:49 am In fact, that is just as quick as my idea for checking the pump.
So take it off and look for the actuating rod.
If it is there, then try pushing the pump in and out. You should be able to hear/feel air being pumped through it if it's working properly.
Not_Anumber wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:34 pm + 1 for taking the pump off to check the actuating rod is in place.

If not you wouldnt be the first.
Hi all thanks for the replies sorry it been so long finally sorted it , I was sure the rod was still in place but you know what it like doult sets in so I took the pump off and it fell to pierces the spring fell out the disc washers holding the spring in place had come out but the good news is the rod was still in place, so I ended up getting another new pump this time a QH one put that on tested to see if it was pumping fuel before putting pipe to carburetor and yes it was so connected pipe back onto carburetor and started her up running lovely now . I cannot understand why the disc washer and spring would have come out of the pump though, yes I did remember to put the spacer on that's why I cannot understand it coming to pieces.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Thanks for the feedback.
Even though we didn't guess the problem correctly, we did kind of send you in the right direction. Glad it's sorted.
Maybe another candidate for the 'if you changed something and now there's a problem, go back to what you changed first' school of Capri ownership.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yep , going back to the last thing you fiddled with is always a good place to start but you may be surprized at how the most un-mechanicy lookin twits can look you straight in the eye and say things like " cant be that , I just fixed that " while Im looking them straight in the eye and wondering just how they #ucked it up, But yeah, a new fuel pump flying to bits is a bit unusual, and a bit demoralising if your not the best F1 mechanic as it has you doubting yourself when you have actually done a good job.🙂
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh