Kent cam

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mrbaboon1985
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (Daily Driver)

Kent cam

Post by Mrbaboon1985 »

Just checking a Gts6 Kent cam with Dellorto 45s.....

Is this going to be awful in general road use?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Kent cam

Post by Mc Tool »

Yes
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mrbaboon1985

Post by Mrbaboon1985 »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:46 pmYes
Lol OK I thought so was just trying to limit the down tone on having head and new cam shimmied as this one is ready to drop in.

Dam it
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Years ago I had a xflow with a similar looking cam and with 4 grand on board it would lay rubber in 3rd gear without popping the clutch , fuck it could go , blew away heaps of "faster" cars ,it was a lot of fun but I very soon tired of voracious fuel consumption and having to do 50kmh morning traffic at 3700 in 2nd to get adequate throttle response . You should probly do it πŸ˜†, I mean how else are you going to know , specially if there is a bit of gravel handy :drive: . A more useful cam would want useful torque off idle , peak torque at about 3500 and peak power about 5500, and a sunday only cam maybe a kent fr 31-32. Try searching the cam model # as I know others here have actually used these cams and been happy campers.
Mrbaboon1985

Post by Mrbaboon1985 »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:10 am Years ago I had a xflow with a similar looking cam and with 4 grand on board it would lay rubber in 3rd gear without popping the clutch , fuck it could go , blew away heaps of "faster" cars ,it was a lot of fun but I very soon tired of voracious fuel consumption and having to do 50kmh morning traffic at 3700 in 2nd to get adequate throttle response . You should probly do it πŸ˜†, I mean how else are you going to know , specially if there is a bit of gravel handy :drive: . A more useful cam would want useful torque off idle , peak torque at about 3500 and peak power about 5500, and a sunday only cam maybe a kent fr 31-32. Try searching the cam model # as I know others here have actually used these cams and been happy campers.
Lol I'm torn now I'm. Not too fussed about fuel consumption I work from home so it doesn't go far as a daily driver lol. Be good if a happy camper popped up on the thread πŸ‘πŸ»
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

So go for the fr33 and get a good taste of excess without ..........does your wife/girlfriend have to be able to drive this rocket? 😁. One of the main things I look at when comparing cams is the valve lift , basically the more you move the valves the more it cost to keep them under control. Its all very well throwing a ½" cam in there but it also needs bigger springs and spring seat relief ,long pad followers ( of which you will need a new set every time you change your mind .
The pinto head and ports are plenty big enough ,not perfect but close enough that you can pretty much forget about it for a road car , so , taking advantage of that your probly better off sticking with a modest lift 450ish thou cam that wont require further engine modification to get the best out of it .
My pinto has a factory cam , burton pulley and I cant remember now where I left the timing ( think intake lobe centre is 105 deg atdc ) but its well advanced and has power at idle and pulls like a school boy to about 5 grand , 4th gear overtaking is quick enough not to bother going for 3rd , and it gets an easy 40mpg ,pretty much the opposite of what your lookin for😁
Mrbaboon1985

Post by Mrbaboon1985 »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 pm So go for the fr33 and get a good taste of excess without ..........does your wife/girlfriend have to be able to drive this rocket? 😁. One of the main things I look at when comparing cams is the valve lift , basically the more you move the valves the more it cost to keep them under control. Its all very well throwing a Β½" cam in there but it also needs bigger springs and spring seat relief ,long pad followers ( of which you will need a new set every time you change your mind .
The pinto head and ports are plenty big enough ,not perfect but close enough that you can pretty much forget about it for a road car , so , taking advantage of that your probly better off sticking with a modest lift 450ish thou cam that wont require further engine modification to get the best out of it .
My pinto has a factory cam , burton pulley and I cant remember now where I left the timing ( think intake lobe centre is 105 deg atdc ) but its well advanced and has power at idle and pulls like a school boy to about 5 grand , 4th gear overtaking is quick enough not to bother going for 3rd , and it gets an easy 40mpg ,pretty much the opposite of what your lookin for😁
OK my other option is a piper 270 mild cam. Won't give me anywhere near as big a jump but will mean if my Mrs does drive it she can lol. It's a money and time issue as is. Both my options have the head sorted ready to take out mine and dump it straight in ready for a tune. Decisions decisions
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I'm buy no means an expert but agree that the GTS6 is massively overkill - with a powerband of 4-8k revs you'll never see the benefit and will just be useless.

The FR33 looks like it has higher specs than the Piper but again a power band of 3-7k is quite high when the reality is that driving around town you aren't going to be getting that high unless you never get out of 2nd or 3rd - cruising at 60-70mph in fifth mine doesn't get to 3k revs

Personally I'd go Piper for the more usable power band - the stats might not be as good as the others but at least you'd see the benefit
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mrbaboon1985

Post by Mrbaboon1985 »

D366Y wrote: ↑Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:52 am I'm buy no means an expert but agree that the GTS6 is massively overkill - with a powerband of 4-8k revs you'll never see the benefit and will just be useless.

The FR33 looks like it has higher specs than the Piper but again a power band of 3-7k is quite high when the reality is that driving around town you aren't going to be getting that high unless you never get out of 2nd or 3rd - cruising at 60-70mph in fifth mine doesn't get to 3k revs

Personally I'd go Piper for the more usable power band - the stats might not be as good as the others but at least you'd see the benefit
D366Y wrote: ↑Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:52 am I'm buy no means an expert but agree that the GTS6 is massively overkill - with a powerband of 4-8k revs you'll never see the benefit and will just be useless.

Yeah I'm off to pick it up Saturday with a refurbed head so should bolt straight in. Then fit the 45s and off for a tune 😊