Starter motor strip down and refurb

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Bud6200
Car(s): 85 Laser 2.0 just acquired ...to be for days out and the odd daily drive

Starter motor strip down and refurb

Post by Bud6200 »

Hey guys , :wave: thanks for all your help sooooooo far , obviously it's looking like I could be asking a few questions in the future :helpinghand: 8-)
I am sure starter motors ain't rocket science , so even I could strip one down and refurb it ;) .
Anyone here stripped one down and refurbed theirs ,how did it turn out and where would you source the service parts for one .
:drive: Just love my :ford:
Paul
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Starter motor strip down and refurb

Post by Peter-S »

To be honest, for the work involved in trying to fix an old one I'd buy new and know that it was going to work OK.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

They aint as straight forward as you may think, depending on the model you may have to unsolder some joints to get it apart, and another wee trap in that the field windings for the motor are aluminium so dont damage the brass fused on terminals on the end when you unsolder brushes . I have seen peeps bending the end of the winding for access to the terminal , and then look surprized when it snaps off, and I even seen ,real close up , one dickhead who thought he was looking at a tinned copper winding and spent ages ,getting murderously fucked off in the process, trying to solder brush wires to aluminium 😠😠😠😠, was good to watch tho. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bud6200
Car(s): 85 Laser 2.0 just acquired ...to be for days out and the odd daily drive

Post by Bud6200 »

Ahhhhh, thats why this forum is so good ...so suck it up buttercup basically :lol:
Cheers guys
ohhh btw ....probably more questions to come :lmao: :ford:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Well , thats not to say it cant be done. Whats actually wrong with the one you have ? πŸ€”
You have nothing to lose by trying to disassemble if your buying a new one anyway, so if you wind up wreaking it your no worse off.
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Post by Vermilion »

It can be done but, prepare also for failure. I have done it but it was totally pain in the ass. Alternator is much easier to do.
https://gyazo.com/b683d565bf58e474e37ee1d060c26b31
https://gyazo.com/52b61cb8ad00341251307be6040ff721

If i don't remember wrong V6 starter motors had minor differences. Lucas model 2,2kw model had metal gears and bosch one had plastic ones.
Lucas was much more noisyer.
Seems like I have lost dissably pictures somewhere.... I had both in pieces Bosch and Lucas ones.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Vermilion wrote: ↑Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:26 am Lucas model 2,2kw model had metal gears and bosch one had plastic ones
Plastic gears? I`ve never seen that before. I can see it would be quieter, but wouldn`t have thought they`d take the strain, esp. the shock loading?
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

stevemarl wrote: ↑Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:28 am
Vermilion wrote: ↑Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:26 am Lucas model 2,2kw model had metal gears and bosch one had plastic ones
Plastic gears? I`ve never seen that before. I can see it would be quieter, but wouldn`t have thought they`d take the strain, esp. the shock loading?

Yep, white plastic, that starter was like 40 years old still working so, that should be no problem.
Bosch one much quieter than Lucas one. I think that was the reason.
Counterpart was plastic other one was steel.

Also one possibility is that if engine is stuck so the plastic wormgear works as fuse.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Are you one of the Dudesons? (Duudsonit)πŸ˜†
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:46 pm Are you one of the Dudesons? (Duudsonit)πŸ˜†
If you ask me thats quite shitty show... literally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B85BwPklAl8