Rear anti roll bar help

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
MiniMan
Car(s): 1.6 Ford Capri Laser, 1986, Diamond white with half white leather recaro interior

Rear anti roll bar help

Post by MiniMan »

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the progress of cleaning up the rear end of my car. The rear antiroll bar requires new bushes. I purchased the following from capri club: https://www.capriclub.co.uk/Rear_Anti_R ... --621.html

Using my bench vice I've just attempted to fit these. After warming then up, using silicon solution and trying a number of other tricks the bush split... absolutely gutted. It just never felt like it was ever going to slide in.

The rear antiroll bar is off my mk3 1986 capri laser. It's the 12mm bar... I guess my questions are....

1) are they the correct bushes?
2) is there a better way of doing this? To avoid the same mistake?
3) I removed the old bushes... but it looks like there's a metal sleeve inside where the bush should go... is that correct? The diameter is 36mm does this sound correct?

Thanks
Sam
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Rear anti roll bar help

Post by Peter-S »

The original bushes had a metal sleeve which needs to come out too. If you left it in the hole is probably a bit tight to get the new bushes in easily.
The sleeve might be rusted in and need cutting out with a hacksaw - remove the blade put it in the sleeve and reattach to the saw handle. Go carefully.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
MiniMan
Car(s): 1.6 Ford Capri Laser, 1986, Diamond white with half white leather recaro interior

Re: Rear anti roll bar help

Post by MiniMan »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response... I knew it! took a hack saw to the sleeve this morning and all removed.

Thanks again, great advice! :D fingers crossed the new bushed pop into place this time!