Type 9 gearbox crossmember

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
antonio31
Car(s): Ford Capri 1600 GT

Type 9 gearbox crossmember

Post by antonio31 »

Hello,

I want to change my 4 speed gearbox with 5 speed type 9 gearbox, on my mk1 Capri and I want to know if there is one original crossmember that can be fitted.
I found one crossmember from a mk3 2.8i engine, but I don't know if it will fit in mk1. The one in the picture attached.

Thanks a lot! Cheers!
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Toecutter
Car(s): 1973 Mk1 (Facelift) Capri - 2.0 Pinto on Bike carbs

Re: Type 9 gearbox crossmember

Post by Toecutter »

I have a 5 speed fitted in my MK1, I could not find anything to bolt straight in at the time I was doing the conversion so I ended up just modifying my existing gearbox mount by welding heavy steel plate on and drilling new holes and shimming it as required, the 5 speed does sit further back in the tunnel than the original one. Make sure you have adequate clearance between the gearbox top cover and tunnel as well when fitting or you'll get some serious vibrations.
antonio31
Car(s): Ford Capri 1600 GT

Post by antonio31 »

Thanks for your reply!

I will install the gearbox and then I will build or modify the crossmember, it is the best choice, I think.

Thanks again!
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hello Antonia,

I've just read your post below,
I want to change my 4 speed gearbox with 5 speed type 9 gearbox, on my mk1 Capri and I want to know if there is one original crossmember that can be fitted.
I found one crossmember from a mk3 2.8i engine, but I don't know if it will fit in mk1. The one in the picture attached.
Have you solved the problem yet?
My son and I fitted a Type 9 gearbox into a Mk 3 last year and I had to modify the crossmember so if you need any tips I may be able to help.
Months ago I sent an article to Sally, for use in the Capri Club International magazine, showing pictures and giving an explanation how I did it however, as yet it hasn't appeared. If you're a member and it appears that may help you.

The car we have is a Mk 3 with a V6 so I thought, easy-peasey "gearbox out"/"gearbox in" as the 2.8i came with a 5-speed box and our crossmember was the same. (Similar to the one you show).
I discovered that the section where the rubber mounting fits had to be dropped by about 20mm and moved rearwards by about 6cm.
We mated the gearbox and held it at, more or less at the correct height with a jack.
(Fortunately the gear lever lined up with the transmission tunnel hole.)
We cut the centre section of the crossmember out and bolted it to its mount on the box and the two end sections to their mounting points on the car body. Then, to join the centre section to the outer sections, we used a 20 mm steel tube, cut to the appropriate lengths and tacked into situ by welding under the car. The modified crossmember was carefully removed and welded completely and strengthened with small angle plates.
The 20mm tubing was used because it gave us the amount of drop needed at the gearbox mount. (A Mk1 may require a different diameter.)
Our Capri has now done about 1200 km and the gearbox hasn't fallen out.

I don't know how different a Mk1 is to a Mk3 underneath but i believe that on the assembly line it was easier and cheaper for Ford to spot-weld the L-shaped mounting brackets with captive nuts rearwards along the transmission tunnel rather than make a different crossmember.
One minor problem you may have is the length of the speedo cable and the gearing. We were lucky the cable fitted just?
As for the gearing being wrong i.e. the indicated speed, the police are usually quite good at telling you how fast you've been driving.

If you haven't done your car yet I can try and post some pictures of our modified crossmember if you think it'll help.

Cheers,
Steve
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I did mine using 20mm thick flat bar ,cant remember how wide is is. The bit of bar has 3 holes ,one at each end and one in the middle ,one end hole is tapped (goes to rear of car) . Going from front to rear of car, 1st bolt goes thru front hole in bar and into front mounting hole on car , 2nd bolt goes thru front hole on gearbox mount ,thru middle hole in bar and into rear mounting hole on car. 3rd bolt goes thru rear gearbox mount hole and threads into rear hole in bar (the tapped one ). This moves the gear box mount down 20mm and rearward equal to distance between mounting holes ....about 50mm ish , with the bar sandwiched between underside of car and gearbox mount
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh