Colour code??

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Post Reply
Mrbaboon1985
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:28 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (Daily Driver)

Colour code??

Post by Mrbaboon1985 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:36 pm

My VIn plate has corroded quite a bit. I have a 1986 mk3 capri and the only thing i can make out in the color box is 3. The car is white any idea what type of white that is lol.

I've been hunting codes for ages but can't find anything

andyd
Posts: 7415
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 2018 Mustang GT
Location: Devon

Re: Colour code??

Post by andyd » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:18 pm

Think it might be Diamond White.

Do you have a sticker like this on the boot floor passenger side of spare wheel?
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (11.75 KiB) Viewed 410 times

Mrbaboon1985
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:28 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (Daily Driver)

Re: Colour code??

Post by Mrbaboon1985 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:44 pm

andyd wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:18 pm
Think it might be Diamond White.

Do you have a sticker like this on the boot floor passenger side of spare wheel?
s-l400.jpg
No I checked there... Nothing. I ordered diamond white and it seems more grey when I tested it for a colour match!

andyd
Posts: 7415
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 2018 Mustang GT
Location: Devon

Re: Colour code??

Post by andyd » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:10 am

Mrbaboon1985 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:44 pm
andyd wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:18 pm
Think it might be Diamond White.

Do you have a sticker like this on the boot floor passenger side of spare wheel? s-l400.jpg
No I checked there... Nothing. I ordered diamond white and it seems more grey when I tested it for a colour match!
It seems there are quite a few versions of Diamond White so matching it could be an issue. Might be best to take the car to a local bodyshop to match the colour.

:goodluck:

Paul G
Posts: 1629
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS,
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Colour code??

Post by Paul G » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:49 am

The worst shade was Oyster Gold. There were 105 different shades of this according to my old paint supplier.

User avatar
T.M.
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)
Location: Czech Rep.

Re: Colour code??

Post by T.M. » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:21 am

Mrbaboon1985 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:36 pm
...the only thing i can make out in the color box is 3.
Hi,
"3" is on first or second position? There should be two digits or letters.

Could you post here photo of "color box" from VIN plate?


Tom

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 6304
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Colour code??

Post by pbar » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:01 am

If you only need a small amount then off the shelf spray cans from Halfrauds may be worth a try. Certainly I've found that their Ford Rosso Red is a superb match.

Mrbaboon1985
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:28 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (Daily Driver)

Re: Colour code??

Post by Mrbaboon1985 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:56 pm

T.M. wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:21 am
Mrbaboon1985 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:36 pm
...the only thing i can make out in the color box is 3.
Hi,
"3" is on first or second position? There should be two digits or letters.

Could you post here photo of "color box" from VIN plate?


Tom
I think it's the 2nd box it's hard to make out there but it's definately a 3 to the eye! I've tried ford and they gave every detail except the colour on their record. The diamond white I ordered is much more grey and notociably different lol
IMG_20210401_145440.jpg

User avatar
T.M.
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)
Location: Czech Rep.

Re: Colour code??

Post by T.M. » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:44 pm

Mrbaboon1985 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:56 pm

I think it's the 2nd box it's hard to make out there but it's definately a 3 to the eye! I've tried ford and they gave every detail except the colour on their record. The diamond white I ordered is much more grey and notociably different lol
For me it looks that you are right with Diamond white. Maybe they have wrong "mixing formula", where you ordered it. Or maybe car was resprayed in little bit different shade?

On your VIN plate in color box first letter (directly under 8 from 810 above) looks like "B" and "B" is for Diamond white.
Second number (directly under 0 from 810 above) looks little bit like 3 it's true, but should be "6" according to model year of car. And when you look to your VIN plate again with this information, it could be "6" with missing down left section.

=> So for 1986 car with Diamond white there shoud be "B 6" and I think it's there.


For color codes I go here:
http://capri.fordever.cz/Main/cz.htm

On the left side click to white Capri with "Tipy & Triky", then scrool down approximately to middle of the page and there is "8. KOLONKA: FARBE/COLOUR/PAINT CODE", then scrool down to "od 01.1974:" (=from 01.1974) and there is table from "1" to "Z" for first digit/letter of color code. For second digit there is simple information (under this table), that it is model year or some option.


Tom

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Colour code??

Post by Mc Tool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:24 am

reminds me of a similar thing with old girlfriends Vauxhall Viva .......after a spot of rally driving at Sandy point where I had occasion to run a bit wide and clout a fence post ( joint in one hand beer in the other :roll: :xd: ) ...old story lots of different shades of yellow , none the same as the car , spent the rest of its life with 3 different shades adorning the front end . Ohhh she was pissed , grandma owned it from new , her first car bla bla bla
Id rather have a bottle in front of me :beer: than a frontal lobotomy 🤯

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 13634
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Colour code??

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:45 am

I agree with the others, the colour is almost certainly diamond white.
You could remove your VIN plate, the embossed characters could be much easier to read from the reverse side.

The poor colour match of the aerosol could be attributable to the car being painted in the past and may not have been an exact match with the factory paint.

Andrew.
Image

Mrbaboon1985
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:28 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (Daily Driver)

Re: Colour code??

Post by Mrbaboon1985 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:58 am

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:45 am
I agree with the others, the colour is almost certainly diamond white.
You could remove your VIN plate, the embossed characters could be much easier to read from the reverse side.

The poor colour match of the aerosol could be attributable to the car being painted in the past and may not have been an exact match with the factory paint.

Andrew.
Good idea on the reversal I'll give that a go!

Thanks for your help all! 👍🏻

Post Reply