Electric Cut Off Tools

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Electric Cut Off Tools

Post by pbar »

Anyone know why electric cut off tools are so hard to get in the UK? In America it's a common thing, but over here you can get air powered ones but it's hard to find as electric. Just seems so strange.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Electric Cut Off Tools

Post by Mc Tool »

4" angle grinder with cut off disc , 4" are good coz you can get 1mm thick discs and they are dirt cheap.....the grinder and the discs . I have 4 of them ,one each with cut off disc , ordinary disc , flap disc and wire knot brush . I got so sick of changing discs back and forth as I went thru various stages of manufacture /preparation I got a whole set :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar

Post by pbar »

With angle grinders though, don't you find that they are just too brutal/meaty to get into the more delicate/smaller areas? Which is where a cut off tool would be great. Pity they are so hard to find though.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
I did see a Draper hand opera ted thing which `might` be OK: grinder for big bits, that for detail?? I know what you mean about grinders, you`r e limited to straightish lines and the radius means it`s difficult in corners.
This: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Expert- ... 046&sr=8-1
pbar

Post by pbar »

Yes I can see how a hand tool like that could be very useful. You can get mini (3") angle grinders, again they are uncommon though. The advantage of a cut off tool over an angle grinder is the position of the blade too.

People tend to buy an American one and run it through an inverter. Bizarre how the UK doesn't have them.

Was thinking of a dremel type of tool, but wonder if they are viable for cutting metal/panels, etc.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

A dremel will do it I suppose, might be a bit slow? Never used it for that myself, but I`ve got a Li cordless one and TBH it`s not that powerful. Maybe someone`s done it? (When you say inverter, I assumed you meant a step down transformer 240 - 110?. Inverters convert DC to AC. or IS that what they do, run off a battery?)
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:39 pm A dremel will do it I suppose, might be a bit slow? Never used it for that myself, but I`ve got a Li cordless one and TBH it`s not that powerful. Maybe someone`s done it? (When you say inverter, I assumed you meant a step down transformer 240 - 110?. Inverters convert DC to AC. or IS that what they do, run off a battery?)
Sorry, yes transformer, to enable 110v tools to run in the UK. Although I've just thought, it could be run direct off a generator I guess, as most have a 110v option also, for safety if the generator is used on sites with trade tools, etc.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

pbar wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:48 pm
stevemarl wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:39 pm A dremel will do it I suppose, might be a bit slow? Never used it for that myself, but I`ve got a Li cordless one and TBH it`s not that powerful. Maybe someone`s done it? (When you say inverter, I assumed you meant a step down transformer 240 - 110?. Inverters convert DC to AC. or IS that what they do, run off a battery?)
Sorry, yes transformer, to enable 110v tools to run in the UK. Although I've just thought, it could be run direct off a generator I guess, as most have a 110v option also, for safety if the generator is used on sites with trade tools, etc.
Never occurred to me but yes, of course, you`ll have a 110v on your generator! So does that make it an option??
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:01 pm
pbar wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:48 pm
Never occurred to me but yes, of course, you`ll have a 110v on your generator! So does that make it an option??

Well, I guess I can just buy an American cut off tool and use it with a generator, preferable to buying a UK one and running off a compressor, an electric one would be more versatile obviously.

Can't help but wonder what everyone else uses though?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

IIRC Edd had a plasma cutter, shame you can`t hire them? Or can you? you could probably get all the cutting done in a day or 2.
edit: just had a quick look and HSS do hire them out, there`s one in Trafford Park, there may be others more local to you? Might be worth researching?
(4 sentences and each one a question?)
pbar

Post by pbar »

I'm thinking more of tools to keep, future use, etc. Say, for example, you wanted to cut a 3" square out of the side of a door. Angle grinder is no use, too brutal, too bulky. So, what then? Old fashioned way of drilling holes in the corners and a hand blade? Or is there a tool we can have for such jobs.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Totally get that, you never know what you might need it for in the future: `better to have and don`t need than need and don`t have. How much are US ones?`
pbar

Post by pbar »

You can get them on ebay for around £40-£50 including overseas postage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-3-Electr ... Sw~uVfTm9Q
pbar

Post by pbar »

This looks really useful, mini grinder, only £27 including delivery, reviews on Amazon commenting how great it is for cars but looks very handy indeed -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Katsu-Mini-Ang ... B00KDEVQQ0

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

The only difference between an angle grinder and the US cut off wheel is the angle bit . At 90deg I would think my grinder with a 1mm thick cut off disc would be more accessable than that above tool . 1mm discs are good because you get a thin cut line and because they remove less metal than normal 2-3mm discs they produce significantly less heat . For
building trailers ,panel steel and general light engineering I wouldnt be without one Dremmels are ok but the reinforced cut off discs are expensive and aint that robust , and you have the same issue in tight corners .
As for being brutal ,.... Oh yeah they can bite but its like everything else ,practice makes perfect . You dont get much more brutal than a chainsaw but skilled operators can do some pretty intricate carving with them. :) That wee angle grinder looks the bizz , its on the list :)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Can`t see a guard on that little grinder, be wise to have one:

pbar

Post by pbar »

Mc Tool wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:11 pm That wee angle grinder looks the bizz , its on the list :)
Mine too, I can imagine it coming in handy loads of times that.
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:05 pm Can`t see a guard on that little grinder, be wise to have one:
It does come with one Steve, think I read that it is adjustable/slides round also.

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Well I can see it ,and the 1st thing I would do for cut off disc use , is to remove it or trim it down a bit (and the side handle if fitted ) otherwise they get in the way . Mmm cant say I've ever seen a 3" disc either .
pbar

Post by pbar »

Mc Tool wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:07 pm cant say I've ever seen a 3" disc either .
You buy them them on Amazon Hamish, but I have read that the discs for cut off tools will fit also.