Almost done

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
SpaceHopper
Car(s): Ford Capri 1982 2.0 (65km only)

Almost done

Post by SpaceHopper »

So after 3 months of lockdown working on a long list of fixes to the car today was a bittersweet day. The dashboard and newly upholstered seats (thanks to the Mrs) were the last parts to back in, I was very proud of the work and all that has been done as it looks fantastic!!

I sat in the driver's seat for the first in a while and after revelling in my glory for a few moments I grabbed the armrest/handle to open the door and there was a not so nice noise and the top part came loose and will not stay back in place!! The 2 screws at holding the bulk of it in place but every time I pull the handle it comes away from the door.

Before I investigate, what am I looking at? is this going be a pain in the arse? :crying:
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Re: Almost done

Post by Allan mcl »

When you put the armrest in did you put the top in first then turn it 90 degrees clockwise. Then put the two screws in, if that makes sense.

Allan.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Allan mcl wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:22 pm When you put the armrest in did you put the top in first then turn it 90 degrees clockwise. Then put the two screws in, if that makes sense.

Allan.
Like he said.
The top part is a screw thread with two flattened sides. Hold the handle hanging vertically down from the fitted position and insert the top thread into the door. Push on it as hard as you can, whilst rotating the handle up to its normal position. Then fit the two screws. Hopefully all should be well.
If not, firstly check the retaining clip is still in the door. If it is, then gently try to close it up a little to grip the thread tighter.
If the clip is missing, it is possible to fit a penny washer and nut to the handle thread before you put the card back on, making sure the handle is properly aligned and pretty tight. Obviously the two screws cannot be fitted until the card is in position.
SpaceHopper
Car(s): Ford Capri 1982 2.0 (65km only)

Post by SpaceHopper »

I did yes, the metal on the handle is very worn the retaining clip looks mangled and definitely not the same as the other door. It looks like this has been an issue before and something else put in place.

I will make a new one copying the other side, thanks for the tips.