New fuel implications for pinto engine and fuel system

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL (restoration project)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (2000-2004)
Lexus gs300 daily driver

New fuel implications for pinto engine and fuel system

Post by ian_s »

I was just wondering if anyone has looked into the full implications of what the higher ethanol fuel will have on the pinto or the fuel system for it? I know fuel lines will need to be updated to withstand it and I'm guessing some gaskets but do we know a comprehensive list yet? I'm thinking about it now while I'm restoring the body as when it comes to doing the engine and refitting I would like to have things in place so I dont cause any unnecessary damage when they do bring it in. I'm guessing it will become standard at some point and will phase out the usual stuff.
Image One day she will be back in that field!!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: New fuel implications for pinto engine and fuel system

Post by Jasonmarie »

I remember back in the 80s when 4 star was going to be removed the worry of not able to get petrol for our cars but ever since we have had super unleaded what I have always used in my Capri . I only once ever found a service station on the M4 last year that never had any so filled up with £10 worth of normal . That was only going to be at forecourts for 5 years but is still here today .
Europe and USA have super , 5% , & 10% unleaded and have done for years .

I think it’s a case of watch this space but if you see a petition I would sign it and guess many here will .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL (restoration project)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (2000-2004)
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:17 pm I remember back in the 80s when 4 star was going to be removed the worry of not able to get petrol for our cars but ever since we have had super unleaded what I have always used in my Capri . I only once ever found a service station on the M4 last year that never had any so filled up with £10 worth of normal . That was only going to be at forecourts for 5 years but is still here today .
Europe and USA have super , 5% , & 10% unleaded and have done for years .

I think it’s a case of watch this space but if you see a petition I would sign it and guess many here will .
Yes you're quite right we have been here before. I just thought while she is in bits and needing new fuel lines etc anyway it might be worth future proofing a bit. Only in terms of invisible stuff like fuel lines and gaskets etc but it seems they are expecting super unleaded to remain unchanged so maybe it's something about nothing if an alternative remains. Will gladly sign petitions though
Image One day she will be back in that field!!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

There are additives which have been tested & approved by FBHVC to neutralise the corrosive properties (apparently it can destroy plating inside fuel tanks etc) Frost sell one https://www.frost.co.uk/ethomix-corrosi ... rotection/.
Other than that, yes, while it`s down replace fuel lines with the latest `Ewhatever` standard is suitable. Makes sense. Beyond that, if you`ve got a specific Bosch part in the fuel injection system which is possibly vulnerable, I really don`t know how you can get round that?
Having said all that, as mentioned in a previous post, there are US states and European countries which sell E85 - so the problems can`t be insurmountable?