Tapping noise

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Tapping noise

Post by Allan mcl »

Hi all

When starting from cold I get a slight tapping noise from the top end and then goes straight off within seconds once oil pressure gauge moves. Is this something to be concerned about or am I worrying over nothing?

Cheers Allan.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Tapping noise

Post by D366Y »

If the engine is tapping my first guess would be cam follower clearances, but if it disappears after getting warm I've no idea if that could be the problem or not...
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

D366Y wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:08 pm my first guess would be cam follower
Yep, that`s what will be causing the noise - but why, will be due to oil not getting there quickly enough: worn oil pump, general wear in bearings etc, giving low pressure so oil`s not getting to the top of the engine quickly enough. TBH if the gaps were just wrong it`d do it all the time, the clue is that it lasts a couple of seconds then goes.
If the oil`s old & thick, it may help to change/flush oil and replace with the grade recommended by Ford...
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Post by Allan mcl »

Would the type of oil filter have any effect.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Allan mcl wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:35 pm Would the type of oil filter have any effect.
I've read that Fram oil filters have a bad reputation, I always use Motorcraft oil filters, I believe the correct oil filter for your engine is the EFL90

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I don`t think so, unless it`s clogged? Do you mean make? It`s important that it has a non-return valve so the oil can`t drain back out, (such as the Motorcraft one MrB suggested) Otherwise the filter has to refill before oil can begin to circulate.
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

Yes sorry I meant make,car has only done 53,000 miles so hopefully not wear.can get oil light to go out by turning it over for a bit before starting it and then there is no noise.
Cheers.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Allan mcl wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:06 pm Yes sorry I meant make,car has only done 53,000 miles so hopefully not wear.can get oil light to go out by turning it over for a bit before starting it and then there is no noise.
Cheers.
Bit confused, do you have both an oil pressure gauge and an oil pressure warning light?
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Mr B wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:09 pm Bit confused, do you have both an oil pressure gauge and an oil pressure warning light?
You took the words out of my mouth, if it`s a laser it shouldn`t have an oil light, just the gauge? r
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

stevemarl wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:22 pm
Mr B wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:09 pm Bit confused, do you have both an oil pressure gauge and an oil pressure warning light?
You took the words out of my mouth, if it`s a laser it shouldn`t have an oil light, just the gauge? r
I've seen oil pressure gauges fitted to car's that came with just an oil light from factory but can't say I've seen an oil pressure warning light fitted to a car that already has an oil pressure gauge

Still confused :headscratch:
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

Yes it's a laser with just a gauge, should have said when oil pressure starts to go up after a couple of cranks.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

I'm going with Steve on this, give her a good oil and filter change, Motorcraft oil filter and decent oil - Valvoline oil has a very good reputation, personally used Valvoline for over 20 year's now, it's good stuff.

Wayne
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

That sounds like all`s well with the pressure then, maybe it IS just that the cam followers are a bit too loose. Might be an idea to leave overnight then take the rocker cover off and crank it over to see how long it takes for oil to come out of cam lube pipe, (and that it`s coming out of all the holes)?
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

Going to try new filter and oil,
Thanks for the replies.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Allan mcl wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:54 pm Going to try new filter and oil,
Thanks for the replies.
You're welcome mate, good luck

Let's us know how you get on

Wayne
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

Will do.

Thanks.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

If you're going to change the filter and oil it would probably be worth checking/changing the oil spray as well?

Cheap part to buy new, or alternatively I cleaned mine in petrol and blew it through with an air compressor to make sure it was clear - if you're checking/changing the oil and oil filter, might as well make sure it's getting to the the top of the engine in the first place...?

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

D366Y wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:45 pm If you're going to change the filter and oil it would probably be worth checking/changing the oil spray as well?

Cheap part to buy new, or alternatively I cleaned mine in petrol and blew it through with an air compressor to make sure it was clear - if you're checking/changing the oil and oil filter, might as well make sure it's getting to the the top of the engine in the first place...?

Cheers
Danny

Exactly what I was going to say too.
If that spray bar is starting to clog up the oil will take a while to get to the front and back. The oil comes up the middle and then goes to both ends, spraying out small holes onto the cam lobes as it goes. That's why it's always the extreme end followers that tend to wear quickest.
Blowing it through is a fix yes, but I'd be wary of whether it was all done completely. If the end hole isn't right at the end of the tube then some crud will end up forced into the end, just waiting to wreak havoc again.
I'm sure you can still get the spray bars relatively cheaply? Try Burton Power.

Make sure you put a rag across all the holes in the top of the head before you unbolt the spray bar.
One of those bolts disappearing into the bowels will give you a bigger tapping noise to worry about!!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

£25 from Burton Power :shock:

Bit cheaper here https://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=sbar

Cheers
Danny
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

D366Y wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:38 am £25 from Burton Power :shock:

Bit cheaper here https://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=sbar

Cheers
Danny
Jeez! I bought ten of them for less than that................................ok so that was about 25 years ago :xd: