Poly handbrake bush

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
aikmanmosquito
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser, a few other cars that aren't Capris

Poly handbrake bush

Post by aikmanmosquito »

Can anyone assist? trying to get a poly handbrake bush into the diff sleeve, tried lubricating it, sticking bolt through it and attempting that way but having no joy. Anyone fitted this badly shaped bush easily? original is completely round but for some reason this has an extra bit?? Driving me dafy and I don't want to cut sleeve on diff
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Poly handbrake bush

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

aikmanmosquito wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:54 pm Can anyone assist? trying to get a poly handbrake bush into the diff sleeve, tried lubricating it, sticking bolt through it and attempting that way but having no joy. Anyone fitted this badly shaped bush easily? original is completely round but for some reason this has an extra bit?? Driving me dafy and I don't want to cut sleeve on diff
Hi,
I've only recently removed and refitted mine. Is yours a Superflex one? I ask because mine fitted really easily. I pushed the rounded section into position first, so the flat bottomed bit was sticking up at an angle, if you know what I mean. Then I simply pushed it through the hole by hand.
:goodluck:

Andrew.
aikmanmosquito
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser, a few other cars that aren't Capris

Post by aikmanmosquito »

Tried that also, not in a month of Sundays! this is proving what I always feel that after market items are a complete waste of time
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

It may depend on where you got the bush from, whether it really is made for the job or just something that someone has advertised as suitable because it looks similar.

I changed mine a couple of years ago and it fitted with no real effort at all
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Have you got one of these or the Floflex orange bushes?

Andrew.
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Hi,
I changed it few years ago. I bought it on Motomobil, looks like that which Andrew posts.
It was pain to fit it under the car, no way by hand. I made simple "bolt put on device", but this action was unsuccessful too.
So I cut little bit (=made it smaller) lip on one side of bush, pushed it into dif cover with this smaller lip first (with device) and it worked.

Tom
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

It's strange that some people seem to have difficulty fitting the handbrake bush whereas others don't. I wonder if it's down to whether the diff cover is genuine or not? Perhaps the reproduction parts have a slightly larger sleeve than the genuine cover, or vice versa.

Andrew.
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Or maybe dimensions of poly bushes are not always same. I have genuine diff cover.
But of course, that wouldn't be a problem with normal rubber bush. It's soft enough.

Tom