canvas garage

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
aikmanmosquito
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser, a few other cars that aren't Capris

canvas garage

Post by aikmanmosquito »

Any Capri owners out there use one of these temporary canvas garages? looking to buy one to store my Capri in while my other project is moved into the garage to be restored. Are they any good, do they keep moisture etc off the car, and more importantly what are the rules etc for having one, do they need a permit or planning from our corrupt local authorities? Any advice appreciated.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: canvas garage

Post by andyd »

aikmanmosquito wrote:Any Capri owners out there use one of these temporary canvas garages? looking to buy one to store my Capri in while my other project is moved into the garage to be restored. Are they any good, do they keep moisture etc off the car, and more importantly what are the rules etc for having one, do they need a permit or planning from our corrupt local authorities? Any advice appreciated.
Not used one, but canvas may sweat though??? That would be my only concern :?
As it's a temporary structure I wouldn't think it would be an issue with any authorities.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I think the planning issue will depend on the length of time you wish to keep it erected. Temporary structures only require planning permission if they remain up for over 28 days. Your particular requirement for permission may also depend on where it will be located on your property and the size of the structure.

Why not play it safe and contact your local authority for clarification of the rules in your area?

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I think the planning issue will depend on the length of time you wish to keep it erected. Temporary structures only require planning permission if they remain up for over 28 days. Your particular requirement for permission may also depend on where it will be located on your property and the size of the structure.

Andrew.
You sound like a solicitor Andrew :whistle: Or just someone that deals with erection issues :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Bit of a stiff question as if you live in Scotland the planning regs are different to England . I never seen canvas I know of plastic type gagarge but they must be battened down right also make sure it does not touch the car (wind). If for a short time I would get cover like stormproff that I use sometimes at home .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

aikmanmosquito wrote:more importantly what are the rules etc for having one, do they need a permit or planning from our corrupt local authorities? Any advice appreciated.
Depends where it goes to be honest. For example if it is going in a garden to the rear of a house, and it not taking up more than half of the groundspace then it will be permitted development and you will not need to seek permission. And you can leave it there for as long as you like.There is still a height restriction which you need to keep within though, I wouldn't of thought a canvas type garage would exceed that.

If it is to be placed forward of the property, this is not allowed. You cannot have any structure, other than a porch (and that size is restricted) towards the front of a house unless it is temporary. It has nothing to do with the materials it is made from, people often think that as long as something isn't brick built then it's ok. You cannot for example have a garden shed on your driveway. Temporary means it can remain in place for a month, and only twice in a six month period I think it is.

If you can offer more details I will offer what I can, I do have some experience with it all. You can also ask the council for pre-planning advice, which is free.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

If you can make it look like a canvas / flexible plastic cover over a caravan no one will bat an eyelid.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Not_Anumber wrote:If you can make it look like a canvas / flexible plastic cover over a caravan no one will bat an eyelid.
Again, depends where it is. In a lot of homes a covenant is in place restricting the positioning of a caravan at the front of a property.
pbar

Post by pbar »

You know, it's been ten days since these questions were asked. And numerous replies have been offered, people giving time to try to help.

Then there is zero response, I mean, why do people do this? Is it not simply just rude?