Headlight wiring??

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Headlight wiring??

Post by D366Y »

Like countless others I'm unsure this must be covered somewhere but essentially, my passenger headlight started working intermittently, if it stopped I had to take the headlight cover off and jiggle the wire until it worked again. The other day in halfords I saw a brand new multiplug so got one and have just tried to fit it, but to no avail? The lamp now doesn't come on at all, so I took it off again and soldered the wires straight to the back kg the headlamp but that also hasn't worked and nothing happens when I turn the lights on...

Any thoughts or help please???
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Headlight wiring??

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Maybe check/clean up the earth from the headlight? If that doesn't work, check the connections and fuse in the relay.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Thanks for the quick response! Tried cleaning both the earth and the relay up but no dice...

What I don't understand is why the old plug only worked intermittently but a brand new one doesn't work at all? There is definitely power there as when trying to fiddle it together the wires touched by mistake and sparked but blew no fuses....

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Have you tried a different bulb. Sometimes if a filament breaks down it will still make an occasional connection and still seem to work but if it's not working at all try a different bulb or test the existing one across the battery just so you can discount it as the problem.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Matty28i
Car(s): Mk3 2.8i not a 2.8i any more... 2.9 24V BOB Long Term Project.

Mk3 1.6LS Now 2.0lt powered 4 speed rocket box. Work in progress daily driver.

Post by Matty28i »

Clean the contacts inside the headlight relay on the bulkhead. Had a similar problem years ago and that fixed the problem.

Matty
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Danny,

Just a thought and I may be completely misunderstanding your problem but have you tried replacing the rear headlight cover itself that the multiplug plugs into. Only reason I say this is I had a similar problem not that long ago. My headlight was very hit and miss to get it to work. If I wiggled the plug at the rear of the cover I could get it to work.

Now I am the first to admit I am not great with electrics (need to get myself an idiots guide) so John had a peek at it for me when he was over to help me with my horns, and he came to the conclusion that one of the connections/wires on the rear cover was faulty. So I contacted Martin at Capri Gear who posted me a replacement cover and the lights are working absolutely fine now with this fitted.

Now like I said I may have misunderstood your post....if so apologies fella and I hope you get it sorted :)

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Thanks for the posts guys! Was standing out in the rain on Saturday and in the sun on Sunday trying to get it sorted!

I tried a new bulb the other day and that didn't solve the issue....

I borrowed a multi-meter which originally said that from the back of the bowl where the multiplug connects to the wires the other side that there was no circuit so I came to the same conclusion about changing it, but then after some more jiggling and cleaning it up it registered a circuit through those wires consistently going to the bulb, which I then assumed meant that it must be a bad earth on the back of the headlight so cleaned that up too...

All to no avail!! :banghead: :banghead:

I think I still have a few spare headlight bowl/cover things knocking around under the bed somewhere so will have to try that again over the next few days..

Thanks for all the help/suggestions guys :D

Danny