CARB NIGHTMARE

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
andrew chalmers

CARB NIGHTMARE

Post by andrew chalmers »

Desperately need info on 42 DCNF 86/150 carbs as fitted to Aston Martin DBS/V8 Lagonda and purchased by FORD to fit on X-Pack Capri.

Have already been in touch with WEBCON UK (Very helpful) but all they can supply is an exploded diagram of the carb IN ITALIAN....

I need info such as float height, sweep and general tolerances.
I have done a few online searches and came up blank.

Also my car was fitted with a LUMENITION ignition system but no documentation was supplied. Does anyone know if this controls the ignition advance and how can i check if its installed OK???

Thanks
Andrew
Noel Reeve

no idea but....

Post by Noel Reeve »

no idea about the carbs, but I want to ask you where you got stitched up with the axle. Who flogged it to you and how much did you pay for the privilege? I have recently fitted a secondhand one to my 2.8i, and although it's only been on a couple of low speed (20mph) runs up and down the road, I suspect there will be a selection of interesting groaning and wailing noises from the back end at higher speeds!

email me on [email protected] if you don't want to sully the name of the guilty supplier in public.
andrew chalmers

Name and Shame

NOEL - You should have a reply in your e-mail

All others should wait until next week for a "Name and Shame" session !

anyone care to hazzard a guess !!!
Jon B

Untitled

Post by Jon B »

Haynes may still print their manual solely on Weber carbs. This will have the info you need to set up the carbs. It won't give you jetting info though. If you don't have any joy, I'll try to get a friend's manual over the weekend and get back to you next week.
The Lumenition doesn't control ignition advance - this is still sorted by the advance weights and the vacuum advance unit (if still fitted). The "eye" is fixed with two screws to it's base plate. This in turn is bolted into the dizzy by a single screw - the one that used to hold the points in place.(There is also a "nipple" that locates in a hole in the base plate of the dizzy to ensure it's in the correct position.) If all the bolts are fitted OK, all you need to do is set the timing as normal.
I've had a Lumenition unit overheat in the past, so try to mount the box on the top of the inner wing so that the heat sink can work OK, rather than on the side of the inner wing.
andrew chalmers

Untitled

Thanks for the lumenition info

at present the vac advance is disconnected and I cant find anywhere to connect it to !!!

The main unit is mounted on the passengers inner wing as you say.

As for the carbs the font pair cant balance down to the back two so i guess it must be not fully shutting off at the butterfly, maybe a spit and polish job might help....

andrew chalmers
Noel Reeve

thanks

Post by Noel Reeve »

Thanks for the info. As I said I don't really know whether the axle I've got is any good yet, will find out in next couple of weeks hopefully. Am not holding my breath.
Noel Reeve

VERY bad

Post by Noel Reeve »

Andrew, I have finally taken my Capri up to speeds where I can hear what's going on with the axle.

Good news: It doesn't clunk or anything when I pull away, which is what I was expecting since the backlash wasn't that bad.

Bad news: Like yours, it sounds like a washing machine, but as it is an all-pervading noise that rises with road speed, I think it might just be the wheel bearings. Perhaps.

My real problem is that I cannot just take the axle back to the place I got it, since I spent ages cleaning up the casing, painting it and fitting new brake cylinders, pipes and shoes to it.