power steering ? ?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
david lean

power steering ? ?

Post by david lean »

here's one for ya.
Can I fit power steering to my mk3 1.6 - as the steering is heavy now - so when I fit my wide wheels & tyres it's gonna be murder.

can I fit the powersteering off a 2.8 or similar?

will it be a bolt straight on job?

anything to look for when buying these parts from a capri breakers /spares plac
guitarswet

Power steering

Post by guitarswet »

The guys at blackpool (see my spares section) do a conversion but it is fairly involved and expensive. You need parts from a Sierra as well as a capri.

You can lighten the steering quite a bit by putting a bit more ait in the tyres. Try 26 - 27 psi in the front instead of the 23 listed, it won't do any harm.

You can also fit roller top mounts to the suspension turrets but you will need new springs that are 1" lower to keep the same ride height. The roller top mounts give much lightened steering at parking speeds yet give you full feel at high speed
david lean

thanx

Post by david lean »

thanx - Im going for the free option of more psi - cheers
Andy

Don't want to cause concern but...

Post by Andy »

Your steering should not me that heavy, especially with the slightly lighter 1.6 under the bonnet. I had a 2.0 laser with heavy steering and just assumed it was the norm. Like most things on cars, you don't notice when they get gradually worse. After writing off said laser I aquired as S that happened to have had a new steering rack fitted and the difference was incredible! I have fitted 7 spokes with 205 width tyres and whilst this does make it a bit heavier it is still tolerable.
So I gues what I'm saying is, if it is that heavy you may need to check some of the parts of or all of the steering rack.