Lada Samara death by sandwich

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Lada Samara death by sandwich

Post by Major_Tom »

..I just saw.a video of one and it reminded me of a funny story. I swear this is true :lol:

I had one, a FWD 1.5 Samara Sprite, UK version with upgraded trim which made it look slightly decent actually. Nice to work on, so high off the ground you didn't need a jack to get under it, just park it on a kerb and work away.

Anyway, after maybe two years, I was eating and sandwich and it was horrible, so I put it under the front wheel and drove away. The sarnie got fouled up in the treads and every time it made contact with the road, it would lose traction slightly.

It didn't feel healthy, then the gearbox broke :lol: and it got me home on one wheel, and then I lost all drive outside my flat :lol:

I've always wondered how exactly this cheap sandwich finished it off??
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Lada Samara death by sandwich

Post by D366Y »

Major_Tom wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:50 am
Maybe the car was gluten intolerant and therefore was killed off by the gluten in the bread.
I think that's the most likely scenario
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Major_Tom wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:50 am ..I just saw.a video of one and it reminded me of a funny story. I swear this is true :lol:

I had one, a FWD 1.5 Samara Sprite, UK version with upgraded trim which made it look slightly decent actually. Nice to work on, so high off the ground you didn't need a jack to get under it, just park it on a kerb and work away.

Anyway, after maybe two years, I was eating and sandwich and it was horrible, so I put it under the front wheel and drove away. The sarnie got fouled up in the treads and every time it made contact with the road, it would lose traction slightly.

It didn't feel healthy, then the gearbox broke :lol: and it got me home on one wheel, and then I lost all drive outside my flat :lol:

Sandwiches should be kept in a fridge not a lada. It probably went off.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Yeesss! Good shot sir! Tally ho and ding dong!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

That's the first time I've heard of a sandwich being made with flatbread.

Talking of food (tenuous link)......
Why do the French never eat two eggs for breakfast?
Because one egg is an Oeuf.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I had a putty beige Samara 1.1 or 1.2, I can't remember. Paid £20 for it as a non-runner. I worked through it and diagnosed amplifier module was shot so fitted a second hand one off a crashed Cavalier and the Lada sang sweetly.

It was still Mot'd for a few months so I put it on Autotrader for £395. Come the Thursday that the Autotrader was published (no online stuff then) the phone just kept ringing for that Lada and by 11am I had three sets of Russians in the drive arguing over it and having a good old barter which resulted in me getting £6oo for it and them driving off untaxed and probably uninsured back to their ship in Harwich.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

:lol:

This was the model and colour I had. I enjoyed it. Funny how cars get a bad reputation largely by folks that never owned them!

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Not a bad looking car 🙂 .
I been watching these car crash tv dash cam things and it seems to me that longevity or reliability aren't really an issue for the ruskies as getting pissed and crashing it happens way before its had a chance to breakdown 😁😆.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Mc Tool wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:50 pm I been watching these car crash tv dash cam things and it seems to me that longevity or reliability aren't really an issue for the ruskies as getting pissed and crashing it happens way before its had a chance to breakdown 😁😆.
Yeah I've seen some of those too, lots of them seem to involve the vehicle spinning through 90+ degrees as if there is no front braking effort at all... don't think they have annual MoTs there!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

A lot of them dont seem to be able to drive to the conditions , but I guess we only get to see the accidents not the overall average driver .....I hope 😁.
Cheers Tom
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh