The Electric Vehicle experience..

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: The Electric Vehicle experience..

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I wonder if there will ever come a time when the Police have an all-electric fleet? If they do, it'll be easy for criminals to evade them, should the need arise. They simply need to get them involved in a 90+ mile car chase while driving a petrol-powered car and the police cars will all run out of juice ! :lol:

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Especially with all those lights and sirens!!!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:27 pm Especially with all those lights and sirens!!!
And the heater 😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Don't forget the radio.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:01 pm I wonder if there will ever come a time when the Police have an all-electric fleet? If they do, it'll be easy for criminals to evade them, should the need arise. They simply need to get them involved in a 90+ mile car chase while driving a petrol-powered car and the police cars will all run out of juice ! :lol:

Andrew.
Surely this time will come when the police need to buy new cars past 2030?!
Or will they sneakily buy all new cars in 2029 across the country... that would speak volumes about their thoughts on EV :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Nah , they will get some bullshit exemption .🙂
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

TBH, I rather hope that police, ambulances etc ARE given exemption as I wouldn`t want to be in an ambulance when it ran out of energy. Until the technology is perfected.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Yeah emergency services will be exempt I reckon. It'll be a bit hard running a fire engine's pumps and cutting gear for hours in the middle of nowhere without an engine.

Planes will be using fossil fuels for the foreseeable as you can fill a plane up with fuel for a long trip and it is beyond its weight allowance for landings and has to burn off tens of thousands of gallons before its reached its safe landing weight. Not sure how that will work with current technologies. Well, it wont.

In case anyone's wondering by the way, a 747 uses around 240l of fuel a minute.

It's all a bit nonsensical, Britain accounts for 1% of global carbon emissions. There are 3 coal fired power stations here. China has 1,081.

Contrast that with what we're being told about how damaging your car engine is to the environment and it makes you wonder where our esteemed leaders are getting their information.

After all, for most of its life, a car just sits there not running, not polluting.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

240 lpm , that's up there ( :xd: ) with Clarksons GT 40 :D
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Major_Tom wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:28 am

It's all a bit nonsensical, Britain accounts for 1% of global carbon emissions. There are 3 coal fired power stations here. China has 1,081.
But that's fine Tom, China make everything for us so they get to be exempt.
Also, most EV manufacturers are based in China and make all the batteries in EV for General Motors, Fisker, Daimler, BMW, Mercedes, F1 KER systems, Nissan, and Chinese own-brand cars. South Korea make all the batteries for Renault, Hyundai, Ford and Volvo as well.

They then get stuck on planes and flown across the world using 240lpm to get there... so good for the environment...
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Plenty online about the upcoming E10 https://www.whatcar.com/advice/owning/e ... you/n18069

Millers sell this which treats 500 litres https://www.millersoils-shop.co.uk/vspe ... -multishot (Also available on Ebay and in Halfords around £30) which is supposed to help classics and older vehicles cope with E10.

I suppose using Superunleaded E5 (While still available) or alternating between Superunleaded and Unleaded E10 with an additive would be a possible option for now :headscratch:

It's just pi**ing on the cornflakes again of those who can't afford a newer car and classic owners :roll:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Nice one Andy.

Good old gov, this change is sure to offset the 400 tons of coal an hour each big power station uses at peak time worldwide!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Major_Tom wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:21 am Nice one Andy.

Good old gov, this change is sure to offset the 400 tons of coal an hour each big power station uses at peak time worldwide!
Aye Tom , insane isn't it. The thing that really bugs me its that the pious cnuts driving them make out like they're saving the world....
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Post by 80s-new-man »

Just shows you how shit all that electric shite is..and the masses are being brainwashed by the Big Brothee Corporation (BBC), that grinning Cheshire Cat grunt crapps and the government banning our enjoyment of life whenever they can.
Long live proper cars with proper engines.
Get that autoglym flowing,
Brim those tanks, burn that 4 star, rip that tarmac, and enjoy life as we always know it!
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

More sobering news, if the figures are true:

stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Very interesting find. I often wonder how much energy it makes to manufacture a wind turbine: those blades are not carved out of wood..
Incidentally I was absolutely amazed when I just saw the top 10 selling cars for June - or at least the top seller! I had to check with the SMMT annd it IS correct.
https://www.aol.co.uk/motoring/were-bes ... 42536.html
https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

stevemarl wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:49 pm Very interesting find. I often wonder how much energy it makes to manufacture a wind turbine: those blades are not carved out of wood..
Incidentally I was absolutely amazed when I just saw the top 10 selling cars for June - or at least the top seller! I had to check with the SMMT annd it IS correct.
https://www.aol.co.uk/motoring/were-bes ... 42536.html
https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/
I saw a new Tesla 3 on a breakdown truck today, bet it had run out of leccy. I have nothing but sympathy for anyone buying an EV, they're well meaning and are effectively being conned, financially and ideologically.

I saw the advert for the new Hyundai Iconiq today, it says some insane number of miles range, like 298, and in the small print 'Depends of Driving Style' or something. I was thinking yes, like the style of driving on the Earth at around sea level and trying to maintain a constant speed might suck some of those numbers away. It also had some throwaway figures about charging it for 5 minutes on a 350kv charger (not sure how many of them there are around) to get "68" miles more out of it. They really are arseholes drip feeding this tech out to customers at the moment.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:49 pm Incidentally I was absolutely amazed when I just saw the top 10 selling cars for June - or at least the top seller! I had to check with the SMMT annd it IS correct.
Electric cars are all the rage with fleet buyers of companies who want to be seen to be doing their bit for the environment. It's good for PR.
It would be interesting to see what percentage of private sales are fully fully electric cars.
By the way, the Tesla Model 3 has to be the ugliest car currently on sale.

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Yes Tom you're quite right, figures given like that will be exaggerated and manipulated from perfect driving conditions. Mind you they've been doing that for years with cars, there was an investigation some time ago, cars were driven perfectly, constant speed, no seats and little weight, etc. I've seen various things about fast charging times though, that will happen as the tech improves.

But marketing people have been conning the populous since forever.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:50 pm
stevemarl wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:49 pm Incidentally I was absolutely amazed when I just saw the top 10 selling cars for June - or at least the top seller! I had to check with the SMMT annd it IS correct.
Electric cars are all the rage with fleet buyers of companies who want to be seen to be doing their bit for the environment. It's good for PR.

Andrew.
It's not just PR Andrew, the tax relief on electric cars is way better than conventional vehicles.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr