Who's laughing now....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Who's laughing now....

Post by Mr B »

So after years of shitty, rude, offensive jokes about my/our choice of car the ULEZ will be extended out further this year covering where I work in East London, however, my Capri that I use for work is over 40 year's old and registered as an historic vehicle and therefore exempt from the charge, so.....

Who's the c*** with the 'Crapi' now, sucker? :wank:
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Who's laughing now....

Post by Mc Tool »

Mr B wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:53 pm So after years of shitty, rude, offensive jokes about my/our choice of car the ULEZ will be extended out further this year covering where I work in East London, however, my Capri that I use for work is over 40 year's old and registered as an historic vehicle and therefore exempt from the charge, so.....

Who's the c*** with the 'Crapi' now, sucker? :wank:
Ha ha ha ,exactly . Id rather have style than money ......if there has to be a choice 😀
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Result!
That's a nice £12.50 per day saving.

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Twelvnarf quid, bloody hell , times that by 5 days a week and its a solid fuck me ! Is this like congestion tax ? or similar. Be good to see the place riddled with classic cars tho
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Mc Tool wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:26 am Twelvnarf quid, bloody hell , times that by 5 days a week and its a solid fuck me ! Is this like congestion tax ? or similar. Be good to see the place riddled with classic cars tho
I think Congestion charge is on top of this (??) Think the idea is to encourage people to buy cars that pollute less and make the air cleaner in Central London.... Love the idea that you can either make it clean with a low emissions car, or just buy a 40year old car that pumps out fumes and you're still doing your bit :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Some stuff is dumb ,like hybrid cars that dont plug in ......runs totally on fossil fuel ,plus it has one of them planet fucker batteries. I dont recall where I read it but apparently the Chinese are leading the way in fully electric cars ,they are also flat out building coal fired power stations to charge them all up .........them being another load of planet fucking batteries. On the whole I think the planet in general , maybe not London would benefit from the use of clean classics . If a plus 40 year old car gets this exemption does it still have to pass an emissions test ?
I think the jap import cars are a good thing for us because we can now buy a clean green reliable late-ish model import for bugger all. Since we have had jap imports I have noticed less fume belching rusty old shit heaps ( I had a standard 10 van as a piss wagon ) on the road.🙂
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

No she doesn't require an emissions test or an mot for that matter, but the thing is the government isn't stupid (debatable) how many people will be driving a 40 year old car these days and be willing to use it for work?

I bet its cleaner than a VW though :lol:
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

I drove mine every day till I got my leg whacked off, not enough feet left to drive a manual and still workin on the auto . I guess too that we dont have road salt so corrosion is not an issue . All the consumable parts like motor , brakes and suspension bits are available , might have to get a wee bit lucky regarding body /trim parts. Gotta admit that modern stuff is just plain better but I enjoy a little smugness as I drove crapi about , all us age guys would look as I drive past and I dont care what young ones think 😁
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Heard this on the news :?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... e-57452499

Taken from the link;
"From spring next year, diesel cars that do not meet the "Euro 6" emissions standard would be banned.

This is generally diesel cars registered before September 2015.

In addition, petrol cars that do not meet the "Euro 4" emissions standard - generally those registered before January 2006 - would be banned.

Older HGVs and buses would also be prohibited from the city centre."

Is this going to become the norm elsewhere :headscratch:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Mr B wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:08 pmhow many people will be driving a 40 year old car these days and be willing to use it for work?
I advocate it on a daily basis to my colleagues! I drive either of the capris or the Fez and whenever someone has car issues it always ends up costing them a mint, but is comparatively cheap as chips for me to fix something. One of the guys here had to pay £800 recently for his Audi to be repaired or serviced or something and meanwhile I recently had the head on the GL rebuilt and paid the princely sum of £300 :lol:

If you aren't very handy just make sure you get good AA cover and you'd spend a whole lot less on buying an old car and running it compared to leasing a flashy new (as Hamish says) 'planet-fucker' :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:15 am Is this going to become the norm elsewhere :headscratch:
I reckon it will sooner or later, but as it's only likely to be the centre of bigger towns or cities it doesn't really affect most of us.

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

andyd wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:15 am Heard this on the news :?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... e-57452499
I want haggis now.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

We should be laughing now, because in just 9 years time none of us may be laughing!
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:34 pm We should be laughing now, because in just 9 years time none of us may be laughing!
:agree:
With the proposed city charges affecting cars less than 40 years old and fuel to electric on the horizon, it's hard to see the future of classic cars especially the less well catered for.

Triumph, MG etc seem to have a good supply of parts, but as older owners give up the younger ones will want 90s/00s onward cars, as most of us now want cars from 70's/80's.

Depending on what you have you could end up stuck with one no one wants or worth next to nothing scarp :? A bit depessing :(
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Surely though, someone somewhere realises that classic car ownership generates a fair old wedge for the economy in several different ways and therefore it is in their interest to keep them on the road?

Car shows, the copious amounts of fuel we use, the spares/parts, garage/repair costs, whole restorations, car mags etc. the list is almost endless and it must generate a bucketload of money in revenue/taxes?
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I drove an EV to Brighton a few months ago. When I'm in front of a keyboard, I'll explain more fully with all the stress and amusement, rowdy teenagers and the Apollo 13 level power management, but for now, I can say with a high degree of certainty that there isn't much to worry about. There is no way on Earth that this country is ready to transition from the internal combustion engine in the next nine years, I'll bet ¥200 on it.

EVs are flawed at the fundamental level (no alternator, no waste heat for cabin heaters being the two biggest) and there isn't the charging infrastructure to offset those flaws.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Aye Tom , I have had a couple of rental priuses .......couldnt see the point. I think EV's are the way to go but there has to be some revelation re the power supply to recharge them and while battery technology has come a long way we aint even close to sorting it.
I doubt that banning diesels over 6 years old will fly either, what are they planning to do with them all for a start 🤔.
Interesting that no one has figured out just how much fossil fuel is burnt, then convert that to how much lecky would be needed to power all these ev's , and then how many power stations and related infrastructure would need to be built . No such thing as a free lunch.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Good points chaps, especially the EV charging (or lack of for those that park on the street), but the government may make it hard to run an older car to push you away from them, either very high petrol and diesel prices, put tax up to £1000 a year or scrap the current 40 year tax/MOT exemption :?

Probably nothing much to worry about for now and I hope classics go on for many years so I can attend shows etc :cool:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:14 am but the government may make it hard to run an older car to push you away from them, either very high petrol and diesel prices, put tax up to £1000 a year or scrap the current 40 year tax/MOT exemption :?
The government want to push people away from non-environmental cars now, but they still do the MOT and tax exemption.

I can see fuel prices going through the roof though. That's to be expected as the cost of the infrastructure and supply will be the same, or higher, than it is now but they won't be selling it in the volumes they sell at the moment.
With most of us covering only a few thousand miles a year, that might not be an issue.

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Just dreaming about banning fuel in the future but you know how it is when an exotic car ,Im talkin ½million quid jobs, drives past , dunno bout you guys but I find a bit of emotion creeps in in the presence of truly great machinery ,old or new . I could be that guy driving the exotic car....in my Capri ,surrounded by ev's , cruisin , on the fuel I had to make, but as I drove down that street, announcing my presence with a low rumble from an exhaust pipe, intake noises from under the bonnet , all eyes would be on my car, Id be #ucking bullet proof.