DeLorean: Back From the Future

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

DeLorean: Back From the Future

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

As title this documentary looks a pretty good watch. It looks as though its part of a series too.

It's on BBC2 at 9pm
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: DeLorean: Back From the Future

Post by Major_Tom »

What's it about? :whistle:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I think a guy from 2055 has a electric car that can fly but he is not happy after finding a copy of classic ford 2021 with a picture of Joey English and his Capri .
So he goes back in time to get a pinto engine :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is the best engine in the world .... :lol: :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I did watch this, really enjoyed it, he was a fascinating character.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I have seen a couple of doco,s on the story, what a drama and at the end of it all there was only this unattractive ,poorly performing ludicrously expensive kit car . Its only real point of difference (and dont nobody pipe up about the flux capacitor neither 😁) is the stainless body fascards. Its like how brittish racing green and wire wheels look good on an MG or a XK140 and def on a Austin Healey 3000.....but not on a Ferrari , and stainless looks good on my fridge ,or a pub urinal ,but not on a car ....mmm I wonder if disoriented drunk people piss on them 🤔.
There was a guy here in the 80's built his version of a supercar ( seriously 😳,it had a fucking p76 motor 🙄....so yeah ,a real rocket ...not !!!) ,an Escartus, and he grafted away and the result was unmistakably a kit car cobbled together from other manufacturers spare parts dept ,and somewhat predictably ,cost more than a very posh house.
Makes me think about one man band car makers that make a success of it all, the skill and ability bla bla bla is mind blowing. With all the money De lorean went thru he shoulda come up with something way better.
One common thing I see in the failures is that the makers seem to concerntrate on making the car around already existing components , not things like suspension or electrix but stuff like screens , windows , lights , door knobs/handles , ect. The 2nd most popular car on the road in NZ in the 80's was probly the Ford falcon so Mr Escartus decides to put Ford falcon tail lights on his car , immediately recognisable . How do you get a bunch of other manufacturers parts to sorta flow together into one car ?.........you just dont
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:44 pm I have seen a couple of doco,s on the story, what a drama and at the end of it all there was only this unattractive ,poorly performing ludicrously expensive kit car . Its only real point of difference (and dont nobody pipe up about the flux capacitor neither 😁) is the stainless body fascards. Its like how brittish racing green and wire wheels look good on an MG or a XK140 and def on a Austin Healey 3000.....but not on a Ferrari , and stainless looks good on my fridge ,or a pub urinal ,but not on a car ....mmm I wonder if disoriented drunk people piss on them 🤔.
There was a guy here in the 80's built his version of a supercar ( seriously 😳,it had a fucking p76 motor 🙄....so yeah ,a real rocket ...not !!!) ,an Escartus, and he grafted away and the result was unmistakably a kit car cobbled together from other manufacturers spare parts dept ,and somewhat predictably ,cost more than a very posh house.
Makes me think about one man band car makers that make a success of it all, the skill and ability bla bla bla is mind blowing. With all the money De lorean went thru he shoulda come up with something way better.
One common thing I see in the failures is that the makers seem to concerntrate on making the car around already existing components , not things like suspension or electrix but stuff like screens , windows , lights , door knobs/handles , ect. The 2nd most popular car on the road in NZ in the 80's was probly the Ford falcon so Mr Escartus decides to put Ford falcon tail lights on his car , immediately recognisable . How do you get a bunch of other manufacturers parts to sorta flow together into one car ?.........you just dont
I had never heard of Escartus so I had to do a bit of research. Wow, what a styling disaster! It could have actually been made to work, I’m not sure using other manufacturers components has to end quite so badly, the main issue on this occasion is actually the bespoke fibreglass body IMO, and trying to accommodate four seats. Lotus managed to make decent looking cars, and Ghia made the RS200 look pretty good IMO (ok it’s a Ford using Ford components but it’s still a parts bin special) so it can be done. Thanks anyway you provided me with some interesting reading!

I’ve recorded the DeLorean documentary, hopefully I’ll get to watch it later.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

mjcapri wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:43 am

, and Ghia made the RS200 look pretty good IMO
Strange, cos I always thought the RS200 was bleedin ugly!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Peter-S wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:27 am
mjcapri wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:43 am

, and Ghia made the RS200 look pretty good IMO
Strange, cos I always thought the RS200 was bleedin ugly!
Heathen! :lol:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:44 pm The 2nd most popular car on the road in NZ in the 80's was probly the Ford falcon so Mr Escartus decides to put Ford falcon tail lights on his car , immediately recognisable
I love Falcons. Australia and NZ had some stunning cars, and those day vans we never got over here, sort of big Falcon / Monaro sized estate cars, but panel van versions, big enough to sleep in comfortably, small enough to use every day in place of a car. Well nice.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.