Smelly Yaris..

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Smelly Yaris..

Post by Major_Tom »

..my dad's Yaris has not been driven in a while and has started to stink, not of damp or mould, but like rotting organic matter, like a mouse has crawled inside and then taken a heroin overdose and his junkie mouse mates just left him there.

The odd thing is, after driving it for a week, the smell gradually went away, we assumed the corpse had simply rotted off. But its not been driven for a while and sure enough, its back.

Changed cabin filter and searched around the entire car, engine bay and spare wheel well, used nose power to try and locate it... nothing obvious there, and anything changed has made no difference.

Anyone else experienced this? It's like a rotten milk smell.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Smelly Yaris..

Post by Jasonmarie »

Has it got air con ? If yes try one of these a air con sanitiser , as they really do work and if you have changed the pollen filter your halfway there
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Sanitiser gets my vote too ;)
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Mice love cars ,specially if the wether is shit , little bastards love dying in cars too
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:13 pm Has it got air con ? If yes try one of these a air con sanitiser , as they really do work and if you have changed the pollen filter your halfway there
It has indeed got air conditioning, forgot to mention that. What causes it then?! Crud built up going sour or something? We did suspect it, but the air didn't smell when the fans were on.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Had a particular musty unpleasant smell In my previous daily drive Touareg when it got to about 6-7 years old. Air con permanently on all year round & like you, the cabin filters were changed, mine about every 18 months when it had a full service.

Its just a build up of bacteria within the air side pipework, not the air con system itself. I would try the sanitiser route first, if that doesn't work after a couple of days of being done, then maybe something has met its maker within the confines of the car but hopefully your issue will have been resolved ;)
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Nice one, thanks guys, will attack it!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes I would place my bets on the air con system as it does build up bacteria that gives off a dead something smell :lol: also just check the vents along the windscreen are not blocked up with crud & leaves ?
Make sure the car is running and up to temperature with the air con and blower on full and all windows shut then hit the can and shut the doors for a good 15mins the can will empty in about 1 min but trust me it’s working in the system and all around the car . Once done open all the windows for about 5 mins and jobs a good one :cool:

Hope that does the trick sir
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

My theory: The first mouse had been on a reconnaisance mission to explore the car, evaluate for possible habitation / food sources etc. Unfortunately he got trapped and, possibly having eaten some toxic Yaris, sadly died. After a week or so, his family were obviously concerned by his disappearance,
and so his elderly father went off in search of his only son. After many days of searching, finally the Yaris revealed its grim secret: his journey was at an end. Sadly the shock and sorrow was too much for the old mouse and his poor frail old heart burst with the grief. He lay by the side of his beloved son, united again, in death.
Or it could be the air-con?
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:05 pm My theory: The first mouse had been on a reconnaisance mission to explore the car, evaluate for possible habitation / food sources etc. Unfortunately he got trapped and, possibly having eaten some toxic Yaris, sadly died. After a week or so, his family were obviously concerned by his disappearance,
and so his elderly father went off in search of his only son. After many days of searching, finally the Yaris revealed its grim secret: his journey was at an end. Sadly the shock and sorrow was too much for the old mouse and his poor frail old heart burst with the grief. He lay by the side of his beloved son, united again, in death.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:05 pm My theory: The first mouse had been on a reconnaisance mission to explore the car, evaluate for possible habitation / food sources etc. Unfortunately he got trapped and, possibly having eaten some toxic Yaris, sadly died. After a week or so, his family were obviously concerned by his disappearance,
:lol: :lol: :applaud:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Aaw yeah , got any left mate ? indoor? hydro?
Screenshot_20210118-110410.png
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh