Is it just me....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Mk3 Mags
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Re: Is it just me....

Post by Mk3 Mags »

I can identify with so many of the feelings expressed here – pbar enjoying the slower pace of life and Mr B with his WFH. Done that myself and I can say it sounds wonderful until you realise all you see every day are the same four walls.

But to give up on the Capri is unthinkable. We will eventually be squeezed off the roads by such things as electric vehicles, the lack of suitable fuel and legislation against us. But this will all take some time. We all thought the end was nigh with the arrival of unleaded but look how we got round that.

I think if you enjoy Capris, and your own in particular, this should be an incentive to keep it and enjoy it even more. I know they can be very trying and costly to keep on the road but If you give up now that’s final and who knows how many years of enjoyment you may miss out on. That's why I'm not letting mine go any time soon.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Mr B wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:09 pm After spending 3 months WFH I'm now back to work 3 day's a week and I have to say thank God for that, continually WFH definitely affected me, no motivation, moody, snappy, lazy and just generally feeling like shit as one day blurred into the next, I changed a camshaft on my car over the weekend and it took every ounce out of me to get off my arse and get out there and do it, in fact it took my partner to say talks cheap, money buys houses! now ffs get out there and do it.

I never realized work played such an important part in my life, not just money but structure too, I won't be moaning about going to work anytime soon!

Wayne
I felt very much the same about WFH - I first thought that it would be great, getting a lie in every day, occasionally working but spending more of the day doing what I wanted and getting out working on the car but that's obviously not what ended up happening and in the glorious sun we had during the first couple of months I was sat there staring at it through my window being too busy to get out and enjoy it as much as I would have liked which got me down, and zapped all my energy or motivation to get out on the car and do some work on it when it was the perfect time to do it when I had nowhere to go and no rush to finish it!

I have plenty of ups and downs with the cars as well - some days I love it and other days I just wish the bloody thing would work properly so I can actually enjoy it.

Every now and then I'll notice myself just smiling when I drive it though and that reminds me while I keep going because deep down I know I enjoy it when I've overcome the most recent set back
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

If you are bored and/ or pissed off because there are no shows or organised meetings I may have a solution.
Organise your own “Grand Tour”.

I would think that many of you are more or less grouped in various regions, for example, North Yorks, Kent, Cornwall, Cumbria, Wales, Scotland etc.

Find out who lives where – I suspect many of you already know – and take a central point of your “group”. From this central point someone devises a circular route which can be accomplished in a day’s drive.
For example,
Starting point: York.
Route: Driffield, Malton, Pickering, Thirsk, Masham, Settle, Skipton, Harrogate, Weatherby, York.
Timing: Calculate how long it would take with times of arrival at places en route. This would allow other people who don’t live in York to join and leave the “Capri convoy” as and when they want. If it is well coordinated others, say from the North West could plan their route so it coincides at Settle.

Maintaining social distancing wouldn’t be a problem and if in doubt go by the braking distances in the Highway Code.
It would get you all out and about with something to do and possibly bring a little bit of brightness in other people’s lives when they see a convoy of cars go by in which they lost their virginity.
:lowrider:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Perhaps this guy is looking at getting pinto Capri :lol:

Hope it all goes well sir :beer:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1247116
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Just been there , got bummed out when I realised part of the depression was knowing that I simply did not have enough time or money to complete all the projects, so instead of fixing a bit on everything and getting nowhere we decided to sell a lot of potential projects and concerntrate on 1 motorbike ( 1974 MotoGuzzi) and the capri . Gotta look for silver linings too....I gotta pull the diff out of my Caldina (1/2shaft seals leaking lots ).....really cant be fucked , but then I think how much it would cost if I had to pay some bugger to do it for me $$$.....and there's a set of tires for crapi ....basically free......yay :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Have you had any serious interest in the car yet, Andy?

Good luck with the sale. The buyer will definitely be happy with it.

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am Have you had any serious interest in the car yet, Andy?

Andrew.
I thought he was just thinking about it. Or have I missed something?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:34 am I thought he was just thinking about it. Or have I missed something?
I'm afraid that you have missed something, old bean:

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am Have you had any serious interest in the car yet, Andy?

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,
Had someone call me on Monday, he asked many questions and for more pictures by email then didn't have the decency to reply back :roll:

Life would be easier with it gone as affecting my general mood at the moment, too much going on at home work wise so even less time to get out in it or can't be bothered to go out even on a dry day.

Not giving it away that's for sure got too much invested in it, but I know my bottom line and if it sells great, if it doesn't I still have a 2.8 :)
Last edited by andyd on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:47 am
Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:34 am I thought he was just thinking about it. Or have I missed something?
I'm afraid that you have missed something, old bean:

Andrew.
:wave:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Well good luck with selling then my man.. didnt realise you had a 2.8 as well :lol:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

I’ve been Capri-less for a few years now, I didn’t fall out of love with them but I gradually got more interested in modern Fords and at the time couldn’t have both so the Capri(s) went. I now have a very rotten Sierra and a fairly rotten Granada instead.... :lol:

For me, as frustrating as it is when I don’t make progress on the Sierra, I take the ‘good things come to those who wait’ attitude. It’s made a lot easier by having the Fiestas and even more so the Focus to take to shows etc. so I don’t put pressure on myself to get it finished which in turn keeps it enjoyable. That said, house stuff has prevented me doing much at all over the last 12 months so I do need to make some progress this year.

Only you know how you feel, if it were me I’d lock it away for a couple of months and then come back to it and see how you feel then. The current situation is causing a lot of problems for people and is affecting how many of think and feel so I’m not sure it’s the right time to make major decisions (which selling your Capri clearly is).
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

andyd wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:49 am
I'm near the point where the car won't be worth what it owes me,
Trouble is I don't think you can realistically look at a car like that on an ongoing basis. They should, imo, be a hobby that you are prepared to spend some money on for the enjoyment. Of course if the enjoyment has gone then that puts a different slant on it.
When I bought the 2.0 many years ago I started keeping a journal of what I was spending on parts to improve it but gave up after a while as it was clear it would be running for a long time and it was probably better not to know how much I'd spent!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Whatever happens Andy, make sure that you stick around on here won't you.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Peter-S wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:51 pm
Trouble is I don't think you can realistically look at a car like that on an ongoing basis. They should, imo, be a hobby that you are prepared to spend some money on for the enjoyment. Of course if the enjoyment has gone then that puts a different slant on it.
When I bought the 2.0 many years ago I started keeping a journal of what I was spending on parts to improve it but gave up after a while as it was clear it would be running for a long time and it was probably better not to know how much I'd spent!
Nick also started this but as he felt the Amazon forest was being cut down to supply him in paper he gave up :lol: :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

mjcapri wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:45 am

Only you know how you feel, if it were me I’d lock it away for a couple of months and then come back to it and see how you feel then. The current situation is causing a lot of problems for people and is affecting how many of think and feel so I’m not sure it’s the right time to make major decisions (which selling your Capri clearly is).
It will be SORN end August as usual, so have plenty of time to consider options :cheers:
The old saying better than money in the bank is pretty much crap imo. If I put £5k in the bank tomorrow for 2 years, after that time I would still have £5k, unlike a car that I would have running costs etc and could possibly end up with £3k in the same time period if I wanted to sell :?

Not really enjoyed the last 2 trips out for a meet up with others, will try again tomorrow morning :drive:
pbar wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:06 pm Whatever happens Andy, make sure that you stick around on here won't you.
Absolutely Paul!
I've met some great people in Capri circles over the last few years or so, and I intend to stick around here and still attend some shows/meets one way or another :)
Jasonmarie wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:14 pm
Nick also started this but as he felt the Amazon forest was being cut down to supply him in paper he gave up :lol: :lol:
:lol:

I had a count up of expenses last weekend :doh: Only natural you have to at least try and re coup as much as possible when selling.

Off to a local meet in the morning, making the effort to get out while weather looks dry at least :cool:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

pbar wrote: Whatever happens Andy, make sure that you stick around on here won't you.
andyd wrote: Absolutely Paul!
I've met some great people in Capri circles over the last few years or so, and I intend to stick around here

As Rosco P. Coltrane would say - Good news, good news!
andyd

Post by andyd »

HAY met up for breakfast this morning with a couple of old friends :)
Exeter Arms August 2020 1.jpg
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:14 pm
:agree:... :shock:... :wave:... :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:36 pm HAY met up for breakfast this morning with a couple of old friends :) Exeter Arms August 2020 1.jpg
Looks like a great gathering and the cars look superb, as they always do! :D
Has this morning's meet reignited your enthusiasm for your Capri?

Andrew.