Hardened Valve seats

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Rosco59
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s Restoration project

Hardened Valve seats

Post by Rosco59 »

Hi does anyone know where you can buy hardened valve seats. It's for a pinto with standard valves. Thanks
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Hardened Valve seats

Post by Mc Tool »

I would think the automotive engineer you will need to do the required machining would supply them .🙂
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I don't know where you are based, but as Hamish says take your cylinder head off and take it to an automotive engineering works. The old valve seats have to be machined out and the new seats are a hardened steel which frozen in liquid nitrogen then dropped into the machined out "hole". When it all gets to normal temperature it forms an interference fit to keep the new seats in place.

It most definitely is not an "at home " DIY job.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Just thinkin a bit more . If your car has a few miles on it .......like maybe needs valve guides lookin at , it might be better to buy a whole head , specially if you can exchange the old one . Maybe someone like Burton power .🙂
Rosco59
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s Restoration project

Post by Rosco59 »

Hi I work in a machine shop and was going to try it on a spare head but couldn't find anywhere to buy the valve seats. Thanks
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Burton power do sell hardened valve inserts ( I saw them whilst searching their cylinder heads )😁