Carburettor And Automatic Choke Help!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Lewis22
Car(s): Ford Capri

Carburettor And Automatic Choke Help!

Post by Lewis22 »

Hi all,

I currently have a Weber DGAS 38 with an automatic choke, on a Manual 3.0 Capri. I am looking into getting a brand new carburettor for it. What would be the best one to get (I want to keep it all standard though). Any website links etc?

Onto the automatic choke- I disconnected the automatic choke from the carburettor to fully clean and put back on. I have then put everything back together, attached back to the carb and have gone to start it. The auto choke now leaks water from the bottom. I didn’t experience any leaks before originally taking it off. I’ve double checked that nothing is missing, whilst making sure everything has been put back on correctly?

Any help/suggestions to my queries would be much appreciated!

Many thanks
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Carburettor And Automatic Choke Help!

Post by D366Y »

Hi,
I have used Webcon before for new carbs and quality etc. Has been great, not sure they will have exactly what you want but worth a look.
https://www.webcon.co.uk/products/c22-s ... burettors/

In terms of keeping things standard i would ask why bother changing your current one if you want to keep it standard....your current one is standard and presumably working before the leak?
Personally I'd save yourself a few hundred quid and just fix the one you currently have

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Danny is right and if you look under carb spares you will see that they sell choke o-rings and gaskets which may well solve your leak.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I have heard a few horror stories re the weber auto choke .......but if you set it up correctly they are blimmin great . You could even get the o ring at a hardware shop . Probly the only real reason to swap carbs would be if the throttle shafts and carb body wear , or corrosion , everything else can be fixed 🙂
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

As Paul suggested, a rebuild may be your best bet. Webcon sell kits for that and covers everything - we rebuilt mine at CRaP last year in a field
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Lewis22
Car(s): Ford Capri

Post by Lewis22 »

Hi all, sorry for the delayed reply. Thank you so much for your help and suggestions, much appreciated! Lucky some strong sealant has solved my leak… for now. I’ll continue to monitor it! Thanks once again!