Paint shop recommendations

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Lewis22
Car(s): Ford Capri

Paint shop recommendations

Post by Lewis22 »

Hi all,

Does anybody know of any good paint shops in and around the Northamptonshire area?

Many thanks
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Paint shop recommendations

Post by Paul G »

Wickes, B&Q, Homebase etc :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I'm in the next county down from you so I don't really know any in Northampton.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Nup , cant think one a single one 😆😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Paul G wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:49 pm Wickes, B&Q, Homebase etc :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I'm in the next county down from you so I don't really know any in Northampton.
You live in County Down? Gosh, I thought you were a lot closer than that :whistle:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Major_Tom wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:49 am
Paul G wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:49 pm Wickes, B&Q, Homebase etc :lol: :lol:

You live in County Down? Gosh, I thought you were a lot closer than that :whistle:
I can't county up either.

Useless fact;- Silverstone race track is listed as being in Northamptonshire but infact the county boundary goes straight across the track and the bottom half (Stowe corner etc) is in Buckinghamshire!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Lewis22 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:17 am Hi all,

Does anybody know of any good paint shops in and around the Northamptonshire area?

Many thanks

Might be worth reaching out to Capri Care MK - he isn't far from Northampton and should be able to help you out
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

D366Y wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:38 am
Lewis22 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:17 am Hi all,

Many thanks

Might be worth reaching out to Capri Care MK - he isn't far from Northampton and should be able to help you out
You'd have to have very long arms for that. I'd recommend using a telephone or email rather than physically reaching out.
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

I was talking to my mate who has the paint shop yesterday about resprays and he was telling me about peoples expectations. The day of the £1000 blow over have gone sadly. The materials alone if you want it to look good in a year will cost over £500. Most cars will need at least a week of filling and prepping before paint even if they look good from 5 yards away so there is another £1500 minimum and as he said most cars need a lot more than a weeks worth of prepping. He is working on a Porsche 944 at the moment that came in for a few rust bubbles and a blow over, it needed two new front wings, both doors were rotten from the handles down and he reckons it is going to be closer to £8k.
His warning was if you are looking at getting your car painted see if you can look at work they did 18 months ago or more and if the price the are quoting is less than £400 a panel it probably wont be a great job. Also glass out costs, he reckons you can add 10% to the price of a job.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

:agree:

My mate does paintwork and says the same thing.