What is this?! RAF Sculthorpe exploration

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: What is this?! RAF Sculthorpe exploration

Post by Paul G »

[

Plotting Room?

Hope the kids that smashed the place up don't get asbestosis :(
[/quote]

I hope they do the little scroats.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Mc Tool wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:33 pm It is a shame when historical buildings have to come down . Down here ,since the Christchurch earthquake , the powers that be ( yep , them arseholes again ) are declaring various structures "unsafe " and are closing them down . Old churches are a classic case as we like to turn them into homes .
Bit torn on this one - it is a shame when they have to come down, but in this case if no-one maintains it and it gets to the state it is at now, I almost think it would be better to bring it down and redevelop the site into housing. I would prefer it be maintained and turned into a site you can actually go and visit, but I somehow doubt anyone would ever invest the money needed to do so
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah its a shame when you think of the work ,money and ,I guess in war time ,personal sacrifice that have gone into such buildings for them to languish into ruins .
I watch a doco on nazi war buildings and the stuff they got done/built is "stunning" ( 😋Nick )........I mean like turn it into a restaurant or a getaway lodge ......something 🙂🙂
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

On the subject of ricochets (and various other Irishmen) we always felt a little uncomfortable when they stuck the nukes on the Tornados on the last day of exercises. As we initially fitted live ones both we and the RAF Policeman assigned to the HAS were live armed.
At that point we still had SLRs with 7.62 rounds.
If anyone put their foot over the line into the 'No Lone Zone' we were supposed to shoot them.
I often wondered how long we would have to keep dodging that round until it finally gave up pinging around the HAS.

At this point someone will suggest we must have missed the target for that to happen. No!
We were taught that if someone drove a car at you then an SLR round into the engine block would be enough to seize the engine.
When naughty Mick took a pot-shot and ducked behind a wall, the squaddies simply aimed at the wall and took him out through it!
So a simple soft airman would hardly slow the round at all.

We campaigned for sawn-offs which would have suited the environment better, but sadly it never happened......... probably to the eternal relief of the rabbits that inhabited the Squadron site. :xd:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Mc Tool wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:33 pm It is a shame when historical buildings have to come down . Down here ,since the Christchurch earthquake , the powers that be ( yep , them arseholes again ) are declaring various structures "unsafe " and are closing them down . Old churches are a classic case as we like to turn them into homes .
There is talk of this being very much deliberate - its about demolishing a country's history and building ugly rabbit hutches to stack people up in, to make them hate their country and each other. Then it is replaced by a new society as a "solution" to the social issues.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Down here its about various govt depts fucking us over for as much as they can wring out of us . Seems it needs money paid to the govt more than actually fixing the building.
You have some interesting theories Tom 😁,I mean Im not sure that they are deliberately making us hate each other .....more a case of not giving a fuck when it happens tho .
My theory is
Sack all the politicians
Appoint retired judges , lawyers ( yeah ,I know ) accountants .....basically a bunch of well meaning clever bastards ,who work for free (already on a pension & gong at the end ) this way we might get people who take pride in doing the work , get publicly recognised for doing a good job , and not just a bunch of whores kissin arse and sucking dick for the money and ridiculous perks we pay them to do a shit job with no accountability .
We have just had a school boy swept to his death when a school decided to send a group caving ahead of massive rain/storm warnings .Very predictably the arse fell out of the sky , cave flooded , kid dies . Lets see who owns up to this tragedy..........I bet no one ..........oh yes " we are educating staff and putting procedures in place to prevent a recurrence " .........basically tough shit
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

I'm not sure I believe that's why modern architecture is so awful, but it makes for interesting conversation:)

I think it's more likely to be apathy.. who cares if it looks nice, who cares if the build quality is rubbish, my company has the cuntract, the money's in my pocket, I don't have to live here.

There are buildings 10 years old here that have scaffolding all over them already and others that have all their crappy wooden cladding all swollen and rotting. Others built on unsuitable land that quickly subsides.

Course the folk that built it do just fine as far away from it as possible.

Yeah something has to change.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

We get that shit here too , councils happy to issue building permits ,after charging all sorts of fees to have land inspected ......so we have a bunch of megabuck mansions perched on the edge of a clif ( "oh you should see the view "they said ) and the 1st decent piss down ( to be fair it was probly the most rain in decades )and we have a bunch of megabuck rubble .......and mud , oh the mud , at the bottom of afore mentioned clif . But its no ones fault 🐂💩, council still collecting rates on the thin air where the (wildly unstable )section was .
There have been heaps of substandard buildings signed off by councils then shoddily built that subsequently fail for a variety of reasons , all based around all involved placing lining their own pockets ahead of actually doing a proper job . Usually its left to insurance to clean up but if they dont come to the party its the poor bastard that owns it left raped and freezing .
Your right about the apathy, Kiwis are real bad at apathy
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

We had a great one here in Cambridge - an old roundabout was upgraded to a Dutch style roundabout. Quoted for £800,000, it took 14 months and ended up costing £1,800,000 :lol:

It made somebody very rich that's for sure.