Fuse 1 not working

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Fuse 1 not working

Post by D366Y »

Afternoon all and welcome to another session of Danny's 'something is wrong please help'

Today, Fuse 1!
Recently it started playing silly buggers and occasionally stopping but then starting. Fearing the worst I took the whole board out, cleaned everything, greased everything and put it back together. Shortly afterwards it started doing it again - mainly noticing as it turns the radio off and stops the clock.
I changed the fuse for another and problem solved.
Then it started again, I rolled the fuse a tiny amount and problem solved.
Then it started again, no amount of rolling the fuse helped and nor did another brand new fuse. Took the board out and as I eeked the connector off it started working so I left it, maybe a mm or two from being fully pushed in.
Today that has also decided to stop working so I am without everything on fuse 1.

I took the board out again and tried to clean up the connection where the rivet comes up through the bottom and connects to the fuse and also dabbed some solder on the tops to try and get a bit of a better connection but still nothing.

Hoping someone has some new fangled idea to help me please?!

Thanks
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
B@fink
Car(s): Fiat Tipo diseasel (daily driver)
Audi A8 luxobarge (high days, holidays and general waft)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (former daily driver, stored 15 years, rebuilt in lockdown, done, but in dire need of paint)

Re: Fuse 1 not working

Post by B@fink »

Erm…new fuse box? :D Probably not the new tangled idea you wanted though?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I am sure Nick got a new fuse box with the gasket from Martin @ Capri gear ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Not the fuseboard - I tried swapping it with the one on the other car (which works perfectly fine) and still the same issue!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

If you're sure the fuse and its box are OK then it must be a break in the wiring either to or from the fusebox. It probably is an internal break in the wire that makes or breaks contact for example when you drive over a bump or accelerate/brake.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Thanks Paul, that's sort of what I feared - any tips on where to start before I pull the loom to pieces?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

When it is not working Danny, you could attach a temporary wire to the fuse box/one, and link it, just through the window or whatever to the clock. If you find that the clock then works but the radio etc. doesn't, then this would show the existing wiring to be the fault, as Paul suggests.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Great shout Paul, wouldn't have thought of that!
By the same train of thought, if the fuseboard is unplugged, will the spade connector that connects to it still have power direct from the battery to test whether the issue is somewhere with the board?
Thanks
Danny
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Danny, hope some of this helps. Thanks to Alan Brown on Capri Power.

FUSE 1 (16amp)- LIVE - power feed is heavy Red-Blue from cable joint in MAIN BATTERY Red wire to ignition switch, after loom plug
feeds out on heavy Red wire which goes to cable joint in loom, meets 6 wires --
a -- Heavy Red -- to horn column switch
b -- Red -- to rear loom and tailgate/boot lamp
c -- Red -- feed to interior (roof) lamp
d -- Red -- feed to clock
e -- Red -- feed to cigar lighter socket - and connector to radio memory
f -- Red -- feed to hazard warning light switch
and -- under bonnet - Red wire to washer bottle pump
pbar

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:50 pm Great shout Paul, wouldn't have thought of that!
By the same train of thought, if the fuseboard is unplugged, will the spade connector that connects to it still have power direct from the battery to test whether the issue is somewhere with the board?
Thanks
Danny

The battery feeds the fuseboard Danny so the live wire from the battery will still remain, assuming there isn't anything wrong with it, which there shouldn't be of course if your only issues are to do with fuse one. There are a couple of solutions, possibly easier than you think, once you have done some tests and determined what is actually at fault.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

I would start by checking the red/blue wire from where it is spliced into the main battery to ignition swithch red wire. I bet the problem is between the splicing or connector if there is one and the bottom of the fuse box. It may be a case of unbinding the wire and doing a "wiggle" test along its length. All a bit of a PITA but sometimes it's the only way.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Thanks guys, will see if I can get out over the next couple of days to have a look
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Sometimes you can fast find a faulty wire or terminal . Apply whatever test device you have to the wire terminal and gently pull on the wire whilst keeping one eye on the tester. Wires usually break at some stress point and the biggest one is probly
crimping a terminal on to the wire .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
nemo
Car(s): none at the moment

Post by nemo »

Paul G wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:22 pm would start by checking the red/blue wire from where it is spliced into the main battery to ignition swithch red wire. I bet the problem is between the splicing or connector if there is one and the bottom of the fuse box.
Been trying to interpret the (unfathomable) circuit diagram in Haynes: so the supply for F1 is actually taken from the main batt supply to the ign switch, it`s spliced into that then? (not really a question - you even know the colors :D) looking at the Haynes it could be linked right on the actual fuse terminals :twisted: :twisted: circuit diagram`s like an underground map!) I would agree that that is way the most likely culprit, as otheres have said, have a good poke around the joins.
pbar wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:15 pm the live wire from the battery will still remain, assuming there isn't anything wrong with it, which there shouldn't be of course if your only issues are to do with fuse one
If above is acurate and the F1 feed IS tapped off the live feed to Ign Switch, then if that connection was faulty it would have no effect on any of the other circuits as they are all switched and therefore come NOT from batt but from the switch (again, looking at the Haynes I can see why it looks that way ;) )
As always e&o`s excepted...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

The plot thickens!!
Went out today as first time weather was nice and I wasn't drunk or hungover, and found the clock working, hazards working, interior light and radio all working.
However, the horn and the wipers still don't. Connected them to the battery directly and worked fine, but for some reason getting 0V at the positive when earthed to the battery

Tried Paul's trick of taking the spade from fuse one to power the clock, didn't work.
Tried testing the power at the normal clock connections with it plugged back in and getting 12V.
Tried testing the washer motor and horn, and nothing.
At this stage I'm just about ready to give it to an auto electrician and let them figure out the gremlin for me as this is making less and less sense to my halfwit brain
Last edited by D366Y on Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbar

Post by pbar »

All sounds very wierd! I'm sure you did Danny, but just checking that you kept an earth to the clock when you tested it with the new live wire.

Not sure if this applies now, but if you found that the new wire test did work, you could have connected a new permanent wire to the fusebox/one, passed it through a convenient point in the bulkhead and connected it to the clock, or the radio. As all accessories on fuse one are on the same circuit, they would then have all worked, been a permanent solution and you wouldn't have had to mess with the existing loom. (Thanks to our good friend Steve for his input on that one)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Yep, earthed directly to the battery!
I just edited my other post as I didn't realise you'd replied already and wanted to make it a bit clearer

I'm honestly stumped
pbar

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:01 pm Yep, earthed directly to the battery!

As an experiment why not do the same with the live wire, run direct from battery, the clock then has to work (unless it's faulty). And if you are able to leave the existing wiring in place as you do this, then all of the other fuse one items on the same circuit should work also, they should all behave as they normally would. This would be a good test for that.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

I m able to give an answer!
After many hours of head scratching and getting more and more frustrated with it I took it to a local auto-electrician as I was getting nowhere.

Turns out that it was reading 12V everywhere, but as soon as you tried to put the power through it the voltage dropped as it wasn't able to carry it. The culprit? The rivet connection on the fuse where I had tried to dob it with solder but had no luck.

Basically the power going in at the spade wasn't then passing through to the fuse, so the current resolve is to bypass the spade connector, and have soldered the wire directly to the fuse mount to bypass the few mm of metal that caused all this ruddy grief!!

Thanks for the suggestions as ever, just annoying that I sort of found the fault but couldn't rectify it! Oh well, live and learn :)

Cheers
Danny
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

The riveted connector at the back of your headlights will do the same eventually .
I had issues with soldering ........turns out I had been sold ( I did not buy it😠) lead free solder .........absolute shyte .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh