Unknown wire through bulkhead?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Valentijn'82_1.6
Car(s): 1982 Ford Capri 1.6 Restoration project

Unknown wire through bulkhead?

Post by Valentijn'82_1.6 »

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying trying to get my 1982 Capri 1.6 back on the road and ever since I bought it, I've noticed a loose wire by the pedal area. Recently I removed my dash and I was wondering where it should be connected to.

Since there is a rubber grommet on the wire, and an empty hole in my bulkhead, I imagine it's supposed to go somewhere in the engine bay, but I can't figure out where that would be.

Does anyone know where this wire goes, and what it's for?

Please see the pictures.
img4.jpg
img3.jpg
img2.jpg
img1.jpg

PS: All of the other wiring in the car looks to be not 'messed with', and it's a left-hand drive car (I'm from the Netherlands)

Kind regards,

Valentijn
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Unknown wire through bulkhead?

Post by Mc Tool »

Water level meter ? 😆😆
You might be able to find a few clues , looks like a power wire . Does it have 12v , either switched or unswitched ( ignition sw ) , or maybe switched with the headlights ( maybe feed for fog lights )
Can you see any colour coding on wire ?
You could put either a volt meter or a test light on it and then fiddle with all the switches and see if you get power. Could be power antenna for radio . 🙂
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Valentijn'82_1.6

I've tried with my multimeter to see if there was power, with the black wire on the chassis, and got nothing, not with the ignition on or off, lights on or off or anything like that.

It is just a completely black wire but seeing as there is a rubber grommet on it and a hole through the bulkhead, I'm 99% sure it's supposed to go into the engine bay. The radio antenna is wired up on the inside of the left wing.

I was hoping someone on here might have done a complete restoration recently and has also encountered this wire.

Does anyone have a clue? I don't really like the idea of a loose wire which maybe should be connected to something important...

Thanks
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Trouble is that not all cars are wired the same . There are some wires that go nowhere on cars supplied to some countries. The factory might use one harness design to suit several markets . On my car , for instance , there is a power wire that comes out of the harness just by the headlight relay .....that does nothing , so youd have to think it must be there for a reason , maybe for the european market?
Your wire might be for a sensor like oil pressure or coolant temp , maybe the horn .
It may be that someone has added something ( air horns ?)and the original wire is now not used.
A power wire would normally have a female terminal. My car has 4 push button switches above the ashtray ......maybe something there .
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Ooh ooh ooh , could be an electric choke wire . Dunno if they ever had a dgev fitted .(dgev is electric choke and the more common dgav has an automatic ckoke). Could be that someone has biffed the dgev and fitted a dgav .🙂
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Just a thought but could it be from an alarm or immobiliser.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

pbar wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:56 am Just a thought but could it be from an alarm or immobiliser.
Das ist mein thoughts as well herr pbar.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Valentijn'82_1.6

Hi,

First of all, thank you for all the replies.

I have looked around the car a little bit more but still wasn't able to find anything, then I tried to push the grommet through the hole to at least close the hole but i found out the grommet is actually a little bit too small for the hole, and doesn't fit tight.

As for some of your ideas: The horn and all the lights work fine now and the 4 buttons above the ashtray are all wired up. Maybe this car might have had an immobilizer in the past, but the wire seems like it's original, as it comes out of the wiring harness that looks old.

I'm giving up for now, it's not the worst thing in the world. Maybe one day i'll figure it out when I take the car apart completely to restore it :D

Cheers.