73 CapriEV

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Embo
Car(s): 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
74 Capri RS3100 EV Project

Re: 73 CapriEV

Post by Embo »

A few more pics with some glare... a few views of the front and rear attachment points for the subframe. Also there's now a place for the coil overs... Tesla spring and shock are set up separately from each other in some ways similar to BMW. Will need coil overs to get the ride height and other suspension characteristics dialed in, especially in a mixed bag like this.
Attachments
TolleDec281.jpg
TolleDec282.jpg
TolleDec283.jpg
TolleDec284.jpg
tolledec285.jpg
TolleDec2731.jpg
Embo

Post by Embo »

Hope everyone is doing well. Life has been getting in the way of posting updates.
Progress has been made; Tolle's stage 1 masterpiece level work was finished up and the Capri came home.
The rear tesla subframe is fully integrated and grafted in and the chassis has been reinforced. Sheetmetal unfortunately covers the pretty underpinnings.
Working to put together the front suspension to get the car to rolling chassis state so that the 4 corner fenders can be installed. More on that soon.
Attachments
insidesheet1.jpg
insidesheet1.jpg (26.44 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
trunksheet1.jpg
trunksheet1.jpg (28.73 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Under1.jpg
Under1.jpg (27.42 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
garagerearin.jpg
garagerearin.jpg (22.64 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
insidesheet2.jpg
insidesheet2.jpg (22.88 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Embo

Post by Embo »

The Wilwood 13 inch brake upgrade and 5 lug hub change from Australia mated to Gaz Gold coil overs from Track Dynamics.
Needed to build a temp spacer so the lug-centric Tesla wheels could fit with the hub centric wilwood hubs. Clark came through as always.
Attachments
frontunitsus.jpg
frontunitsus.jpg (28.57 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
hub and spacer.jpg
hub and spacer.jpg (28.42 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
hub and sus.jpg
hub and sus.jpg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
spacer tester.jpg
spacer tester.jpg (33.1 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
Embo

front suspension in

Post by Embo »

Decided to use the old rack, TCA pair and sway bar since the car will be going into the body shop soon to get the fiberglass fenders incorporated.
The Tesla wheels pose multiple challenges with the hub and also because the offset puts the inside of the wheel/tire right on the strut. So multiple spacer solutions had to be used, to make this a roller for the next trip.
Brad came by and brought his magical scanner, we (as in, he:) scanned the engine bay with and without the brake reservoir/electric booster and also the trunk.
Plan is to start designing the battery boxes and the attachment points, and further bolstering options for the chassis.
I have the Gaz Gold front coil overs at near lowest setting right now. Granted, there will be around 400 lb of batteries that will go into the engine bay so that should settle things down a little bit.

Over the last few weeks did some research on AC options. The condenser will likely go under the trunk floor with fans and a shroud.
The motor radiator with fans and shroud will most likely go in front of the rear driver wheel.
I still have the rear passenger wheel opening for further cooling options. I do not think there will be any more need for radiators. So we may put in a ventilation system so when the car is being charged, the charger fan can communicate with outside via this opening. Still figuring it out. If you have any thoughts of what else I can use that extra vent option for, please do share. I'm planning on sealing up the engine bay as much as possible and not have any air flowing into it.
A few pics included.
Would love to hear ideas and questions. This post has become a little like a "dear diary" blog. My apologies if my style is not conducive to more discussion.
Attachments
The Gaz camber plates are done really nicely
The Gaz camber plates are done really nicely
tower.jpg (28.93 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
Engine bay, planning for battery box
Engine bay, planning for battery box
front scan1.jpg (24.65 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
new trunk, rear battery box planning
new trunk, rear battery box planning
trunk scan1.jpg (26.81 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
rolling chassis
rolling chassis
4 wheelsfront.jpg (31.18 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
4 wheelsrear.jpg
4 wheelsrear.jpg (28.63 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
strut1.jpg
strut1.jpg (27.8 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
tower2.jpg
tower2.jpg (18.45 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
Magic Scanner of Brad
Magic Scanner of Brad
scannerfront.jpg (30.54 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Any idea how long the batteries will last before they will have to be changed?
Embo

Post by Embo »

LG chem similar batteries, if used daily for 10 years may hold 60-70% of their original charge capacity. I’ve seen 2000-6000 cycle ranges promised.
I certainly am not planning on charging and discharging these batteries everyday.
That being said, there’s a good chance in 10 years better battery tech will mean I might be able to save some weight and/or add some range.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the reply, but what I said was, how long will they last before they need to be changed, as in replaced. Any idea?
Embo

Post by Embo »

Hi again
I was trying to answer the question and with batteries there are some variables especially including number of charge cycles and where your threshold is for swapping them out.
3000 cycles which I think with these batteries is realistic for me in this car would mean definitely more than 10 years for what I intend to do which is using the Capri as a commuter to work. I’m guessing 80-85% residual capacity at that point. The decision to replace batteries will depend on your acceptable residual capacity. So the battery system usually doesn’t fail one day. It slowly loses max capacity. For me 80% of what I’m putting in now will probably be ok in more than 10 years. For someone else it will not.
Sorry my answer is not a definitive one, it’s in many ways depending on the usage and what you start with, similar to a combustion engine. What you start with, how you set it up, how you maintain, how often you drive, and for how long, determine the timing of engine repair or replacement needs.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the detailed reply, appreciated. Life of batteries is the one thing I find most disconcerting with the whole EV thing, as I often hear that you will only get a handful of years until they need replacing which will cost thousands. Ten years is much better though and of course if the technology gets better then one day it may not be a concern at all.
Embo

Post by Embo »

Of course. Yes I completely agree, the battery system is a major component cost and also the part where quality and planning will be most critical.
First, I am no way with expertise in this area. I’m repeating what I’ve heard and read. Michael at EVWest and buddy Brad have been great teachers.
Starting with quality, that’s the most critical and one must avoid cheaper Chinese batteries that may become unstable and run away and cause fires/explosions. That’s the most scary part of this project so super important to start with good, quality batteries. I’m sure you’ve read news of all the fires from cheap Chinese e-bikes and scooters that have burned down apartments and killed people. That’s why I went with these LGChem batteries.
The battery management system is another insurance, it will manage the cells and detect any issues to manage.
I’m also planning on sealing the battery boxes to eliminate moisture and dust to infiltrate and short the batteries.
Weight is another consideration. You have to pick between range vs cost weight and space.
I really wanted to keep the Capri close to its original weight. So about 560 lb of batteries which should be similar to motor transmission and fuel system is close to being neutral. It’s not cheap, that’s similar to a Coyote motor and a Tremec transmission cost also.
This battery size should make possible 150 miles range which is more than enough for what I need including commuting 32 miles each way.
If that range drops to 120 miles in 10 years, it won’t really matter much.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the detailed reply and info. And with you living in a warm country/state it will certainly help, in the UK the long, cold winters and often freezing temperatures really take the charge out of car batteries.
Embo

Post by Embo »

Actually where I am in Northern California we do have cold winters. Can be near freezing at night for 4-5 months in a year.
But I agree especially if you can’t park in a garage, the cold will decrease your battery capacity.
pbar

Post by pbar »

I was wondering actually what California winters are like. Us Brits often think our weather is really bad and America has nothing but glorious sunshine!
Embo

Post by Embo »

I think that's Hollywood and Los Angeles weather that the rest of the world sees because all the filming happens there:) They don't show the ridiculous highway traffic jams and people, cars, and houses everywhere in Southern California. They have really nice weather especially if you're closer to the ocean. The US has very diverse climates and ecology, and even just in California you will see the entire spectrum. There are days in the winter mainly in Southern California where you can drive 3 hours to ski and come home and go for a swim in the ocean.
We do have a wet season in California and especially where I am in Northern California and at the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, November-March is rainy season and some nights we do dip into the 30s. 60 miles East of us like in Lake Tahoe and Truckee areas there is alpine weather and snow, lasting on the ground sometimes well into the summer. One thing about California that I think people from wet climates would appreciate is the open sky, since we don't have dense forests on relatively flat lands. You see a lot of sky which if not filled with smoke because of fires, can be excellent.
Where I am in the summer it does get hot during the day and in the sun. We are a lot more dry here than on the US East Coast (which I would say is a more extreme version of "your" weather since I'm very much generalizing, not knowing if you're in the North or the South and my knowledge is also based on watching EPL football/soccer on TV:). Especially in the summer our temps swing 40-50 degrees day to night. You may be in the 60s at night and in the 100s during the day. Our summer months we rarely get any precipitation so the change in scenery is pretty drastic.
I will include a couple of pics here, 2 are from a Christmas Day walk I did with our pup from the house in 2019 before pandemic hell started. The other is from last year in Truckee. Last year we had historic level snow rainy season in California. This year the berms at that location are not quite as high.
Cheers
Attachments
truckee.jpg
truckee.jpg (16.24 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
LalehXmas1.jpg
LalehXmas1.jpg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
LalehXmas2.jpg
LalehXmas2.jpg (38.52 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
pbar

Post by pbar »

In addition to what you have said there, we often forget just how big America is, I mean, over here pretty much the whole of the country will have similar weather, but in America not only does it vary wildly from State to State, in can also differ greatly in the same State! Such a vast country, I have been, loved it. That's an incredible pic of the snow.
Embo

Post by Embo »

Yes, in some ways the US has more climate, geographical and ecological diversity than Europe and North Africa. And the politics also…
Finding parts for the Capri though, that’s definitely not a strength on this side of the Atlantic:)
pbar

Post by pbar »

I can imagine parts are hard to find over there, some stuff is very difficult here too and although the Capri was sold in America I can understand that it must be a lot harder.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Some impressive fabrication going on there, and research of course. Way beyond anything I would ever contemplate but good luck with the project.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Embo

Post by Embo »

Thank you
Goes without saying without the expertise of friends especially Clark and fabrication by Tolle (and body to start soon by Ken hopefully) this would not be happening. My Capri dreams would still be only in the family photo album:)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well that's totally cool that your dreams are being realised. Must be very satisfying and fulfilling, wish you all the very best with it :goodluck: