Cleaning Wheel Bearings

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Cleaning Wheel Bearings

Post by pbar »

Just wondering what your weapon of choice is for cleaning wheel bearings. People seem to genereally use whatever they have on the shelf, white spirit, brake cleaner, WD-40, petrol, acetone, thinners, isopropyl alcohol. Can all of those be used? Thanks.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Cleaning Wheel Bearings

Post by Mc Tool »

Being as how wheel bearings are made of steel I think any solvent that dissolves grease without killing you is ok . I use a 1 inch paint brush with the bristles trimmed to about an inch , aerosol degreaser and compressed air........compressed air is good coz ya just hold it out the window and who gives a monkeys where all the grease and shit winds up .....like aim at the hedge .....I dont like the hedge 😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

Brake cleaner is my prefered option. Thereason I use this is because you know it will all evaporate and leave no trace.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah but you still got to get rid of the grease when it evaporates.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Mc Tool wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:34 am Being as how wheel bearings are made of steel I think any solvent that dissolves grease without killing you is ok

That's a good point, any off the shelf chemical isn't going to wreck the steel is it, so choose your poison. Thanks, I'll go for paraffin, cheap and safe and a common method, perhaps with compressed air to ensure all is good.