Snapped Tap Problem

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Snapped Tap Problem

Post by pbar »

Anyone on here had to remove a snapped tap whilst re-tapping a hole? Basically I have had to drill out a siezed/snapped bolt on a vehicle suspension part, which went ok, but whilst re-tapping the 6mm thread the tap has snapped flush with the hole, so I have that problem now. Tried drilling it out but it isn't even making a mark on the broken tap, I assume becuase of the high grade steel they are made from. Thanks.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Snapped Tap Problem

Post by Mc Tool »

Is it a blind hole ?
Im thinking that if the tap broke ( must have been a dud 😆)your not going to easily unscrew it even if you could get hold of it .
Dont spose you wanna post a pic ......not that Im amused by your misery😁, just curious , I might have a brainwave 😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Goz
Car(s): Ford Capri mk2 1600GL, BBC slingshot dragster build project. 1200 Bandit daily driver

Post by Goz »

you can get a removal tool with hardened fingers that slide down the flutes of the snapped tap. i have had some success with them before but they dont always work

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/ ... 790a18b8fb

or sometimes you can build up a blob of mig weld on the end and use grips to unscrew it, but being hardened the tap usually just chips off

good luck...
nemo
Car(s): none at the moment

Post by nemo »

Thats really interesting, I`d no idea such a tool existed! You live and learn. Although with a 6mm tap you won`t have a lot of material to work with.... Can you heat it first to loosen it?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I've had this problem too but with a slightly bigger tap (M8). Soak it in wd40 or penetrating oil then use an old centre punch sharpened to a point. I managed to get this in one of the flutes on the side of the tap gently hammered it anti clockwise until the tap wound itself out enough to get pliers or a molegrip on it.

Maybe this will work, maybe it won't but it's worth a try.
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

Have a look on You Tube, there are a couple of ways that claim to work.

Something I have had some success with is heat and cold, heat the part that the tap is stuck with a blow torch or something similar and use a Freeze spay ( available from plumbers to freeze pipes) on the tap. The times I have done this the tap was loose enough to remove with a couple of bradels.
nemo
Car(s): none at the moment

Post by nemo »

just a thought , I know it would cause some `collateral damage` but could you not use a fine cutting disc (ideally a dremel) to cut a slot in the tap, enough to ease it out with an impact driver? You can always fill any cuts in surrrounding area with filler/paint afterwards.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it, I have tried most of the above but no joy. It is just stuck too hard in there and at such a small size it's difficult to get at it properly. It will stay there, I've done a workaround though, drilled a new hole in the position of one of the flutes, and as it is through to the other side I can use a nut and bolt instead of threading it. I did try to thread the hole again after drilling (took several hours to drill, those taps are super hard) with a new 6mm tap but it was just blunting it as it was threading alongside the old tap which now forms part of the hole. All good fun!

*Several drill bits were harmed in the making of this thread*