Cylinder head identification

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
B@fink
Car(s): Fiat Tipo diseasel (daily driver)
Audi A8 luxobarge (high days, holidays and general waft)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (former daily driver, stored 15 years, rebuilt in lockdown, done, but in dire need of paint)

Cylinder head identification

Post by B@fink »

I have just purchased a head, advertised as a 1.6, so I don’t have to dismantle my engine to get it unleaded converted when it returns from paint. Just get the “new” head sorted and swap when done is the plan. Is there any way of telling what I’ve got from the head castings?

First examination…There is some dark green paint still left on the head, don’t know if it’s factory but it looks it. There is no stamp of any kind next to no4 exhaust port. There is an X at No1 inlet. 2 screwed on plates one says 74HM6090AAA, one says OJ9. A cast in year wheel arrowed at 4. A cast mark saying TIO (possibly 10?)

I know the valve sizes can in theory tell but since I can’t find my verniers (they’re in the garage somewhere!) I rubbed the open inlet/exhaust valve on paper and measured it which isn’t terribly accurate. Inlet is just shy of 42mm, exhaust 34mm. Looking at my trusty Haynes Capri book early 1.6 heads had 38.5mm inlets (2 litres had 42mm) but supplement says later all had the same 42mm so it’s either a later head or a 2 litre by inlet size.

It also says later exhaust were all 36mm where as the earlier ones were 30mm 1.6, 34mm 1.6gt and 36mm 2 litre

I’ll have a look for more castings if anyone can tell me what I should look for and where and find my verniers so I can get the exact valve sizes (they won’t be too far off though)

Anyone know what I got, or how to find out what I got? No issue with stripping bits off as it needs tearing down for the machine shop anyway if it helps find markings.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Cylinder head identification

Post by Mc Tool »

🙂 Well it sounds to me like you have a 2l head . I see that the 2l has a 3mm bigger bore than the 1600 and Im wondering just how well this will affect the clamping of the fire ring on your head gasket. You could use a 2l gasket but this will cost you some compression . Not sure tbh but I think you would be better off with a 1600 head........or the rest of the 2l motor 😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
B@fink
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (former daily driver, stored 15 years, rebuilt in lockdown, done, but in dire need of paint)

Post by B@fink »

I don’t want a 2 litre. All that power would frighten me :roll:

What makes you think it’s 2 litre? Are there any of the markings I’ve supplied confirming it? The exhaust valve is smaller than a 2 litre (indeed the size of a 1.6gt) so I was hoping it’s a later (84?) 1.6

Does anyone know the cc of a head combustion chamber of a 2 litre or 1.6! I can easily test that with a syringe and water. Or anything else I can measure? I’ve had some info from Stevemarl which has been very helpful (and confirms my thinking) but the more the merrier, the internet is surprisingly barren when it comes to head I.D on pintos, even unleaded markings (the old R, RR lark) seems contradictory at time with later injection heads not having markings and such. So if anyone has a heads up at what the castings, markings, volumes, sizes or whatever is on heads feel free to spill the beans! :D
B@fink

Post by B@fink »

Using some highly inaccurate squirting with isopropyl alcohol and a syringe I manage to get about 36-38 cc in the combustion chamber to fill it. Cam is a Ford unit and has a blob of paint, somewhat discoloured, which looks dirty white/beige. Is the yellow paint on a 2 litre cam a really yellow yellow?