Camshaft lobes

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Camshaft lobes

Post by D366Y »

Evening all!
Did one of the jobs I hate the most yesterday..... valve clearances 😭

Anyway, I managed it and got it all back together relatively quickly which I was happy with, but I noticed that a couple of the cam lobes looked a bit off ...

They don't look like they have any wear and looks more like a bad cast, just though I'd see what your thoughts were??

Cheers all!
Danny
Attachments
IMG-20221229-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20221229-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20221229-WA0001.jpg
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Camshaft lobes

Post by Mc Tool »

They look fine to me , picture doesn't always tell the whole truth thoπŸ˜†.
If you have any doubt about a particular lobe you could remove its follower for a butchers . I have noticed on a few different engines with this or similar set ups that the follower tends to show real damage before its as obvious on the lobe.
Why the ( getting a bit ahead of myself πŸ™‚) firetruck did the Β½witt that invented this best engine in the world ( my arse!) put the fecking camshaft in from the rear ......probly gay , but it does turn an easy job into a major hassle .
I have heard , not ever seen ,of peeps drilling a hole in the fire wall and taking the cam out from under the dash ......probly when they discovered the head bolts were some poxy headed 12 splined socket things stuck down a hole so you cant even get vice grips on them .......πŸ˜†yeah ,I can just see it . Guy comes home friday night ,camshaft and followers in hand ,plan of attack in mind .......,beer in other hand . Sat am finds our genius standing in front of his pride and joy ( or it could be like Tom'sπŸ˜†)........I can picture the nanosecond he realises the cam comes out from the back πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

I've seen this a few times, normally on standard factory cams and other items like engine blocks etc..I guess Ford ain't one for looks and to fair rough castings are fine so long as they don't interfere with items intended purpose, inside some engine blocks the rough castings are super sharp and cut like a razor.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Thanks for the replies gents, I figured it would probably be ok but just one of those moments of panic as I'd never noticed it before!

I agree Hamish - fitting it from the back is a truly moronic thing to have done!
I'm sure PaulG once told me that he had drilled a hole to get a cam out before....?? Or that someone he knew did or something?? Long time ago so I can't remember haha
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah Wayne , I guess to remove the rough cast edge of the cam lobe is another (Β£) machining job and it aint going to make a shit of difference to function or longevity so why bother. Gotta admit tho that if I had just coughed for an aftermarket camshaft and it turned up looking like that ........probly be the last camshaft I got off them . I mean its gotta look flash ......even if you cant see it ......NickπŸ˜†πŸ˜
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:22 pm Yeah Wayne , I guess to remove the rough cast edge of the cam lobe is another (Β£) machining job and it aint going to make a shit of difference to function or longevity so why bother. Gotta admit tho that if I had just coughed for an aftermarket camshaft and it turned up looking like that ........probly be the last camshaft I got off them . I mean its gotta look flash ......even if you cant see it ......NickπŸ˜†πŸ˜
I agree with you MC, I have had a few Kent cams over the years and would be a bit pissed off if they had those casting marks/flashing especially given the price of a Kent cam kit!
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:38 pm They look fine to me , picture doesn't always tell the whole truth thoπŸ˜†.
If you have any doubt about a particular lobe you could remove its follower for a butchers . I have noticed on a few different engines with this or similar set ups that the follower tends to show real damage before its as obvious on the lobe.
Why the ( getting a bit ahead of myself πŸ™‚) firetruck did the Β½witt that invented this best engine in the world ( my arse!) put the fecking camshaft in from the rear ......probly gay , but it does turn an easy job into a major hassle .
I have heard , not ever seen ,of peeps drilling a hole in the fire wall and taking the cam out from under the dash ......probly when they discovered the head bolts were some poxy headed 12 splined socket things stuck down a hole so you cant even get vice grips on them .......πŸ˜†yeah ,I can just see it . Guy comes home friday night ,camshaft and followers in hand ,plan of attack in mind .......,beer in other hand . Sat am finds our genius standing in front of his pride and joy ( or it could be like Tom'sπŸ˜†)........I can picture the nanosecond he realises the cam comes out from the back πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Oiiiiiiii :lol:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

He he he, ah Tom , I could have just as easily mentioned mine πŸ˜†, at least yours goes .😁😁
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Doesn't at the mo :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

Yes I drilled a hole for the cam on a mates MK3 Cortina back in the 80s. We even found a rubber bung for the hole in the stores on the Monday morning.
Maybe there was more room on the car the Pinto engine was originally designed for?
A mate in Germany had a Taunus in the 80s with a 1.3 Pinto, it actually went OK and more refined than a Crossflow. The 2.3 Pinto with Turbo as fitted to some Mustangs was terrible, no more power than a European spec 2.0 and drunk fuel.