Alternator or brushes

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Re: Alternator or brushes

Post by SCP440 »

Some of this modern stuff is crazy with the repairs they need and how long it takes to do it. My neighbour recently had a clutch and new steering rack fitted to his Focus. Total cost was just over £2k. It needed a flywheel and the rack had to be coded to the car. Last year I replaced the clutch on my Daughters in laws Mini as the garage had quoted her over £1200. Well after 10 hours work I can see why they wanted so much and I had no real problems apart from the amount of stuff that needed removing and disconecting. I can remember replacing a clutch on a Cortina many years ago, it took less than an hour.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah , I have to take the intake manifold and associated bullshit off to get at half my spark plugs .....they used to stick out the side of the motor all nice and handy 😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
SCP440

Post by SCP440 »

I had to buy a special socket to do the spark plugs on the wifes Mini Paceman, 12 sided instead of 6 sided. It can be done with a standard socket but they are so deep in the engine it is better to use the correct tool. Mercedes have started using special socket for there wheel nuts. Looks like a locking wheel nut tool but all the nuts are the same.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

So! The latest debacle is that apparently none of the well known suppliers are able to supply an alternator that would fit.

As chance would have it, I met someone at work who briefly mentioned he worked in the motor trade so I asked if he could help - he referred me to the local auto-electrician (Apparently the last one in the area!) Who reckons he will be able to recondition it for me 👍

He also has a beautiful MK2 3.0Ghia (auto) that is gorgeous! Says it's never been welded, original paint, underneath is still painted the same colour as the car and the door sills still have the factory Matt black under the door. He reckons he's going to sell it soon though as he has too many other projects
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
SCP440

Post by SCP440 »

D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Cheers for this, I think the issue I was having was that the only ones I could find were right hand mounted but I need the left hand mounted ones!

Will see what matey boy can wangle for me and if all else fails will give this a punt!

Thanks
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I thought they were ambidextrous.🤔
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh