Ford Fiesta - The End

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Re: Ford Fiesta - The End

Post by Mr B »

mjcapri wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:20 am
Same here Nick, we have a little Ecoboost Fiesta now, lovely little car but doesn't have the character of the previous Fiesta plus from what I'm told the timing belt on the Ecoboost engine actually runs through the engine oil and that just doesn't seem like a good idea to me....

I'm lucky with my Capri as she is over 40 years old and so is ULEZ exempt but and its a big but the little Fiesta used 25 quid a week in petrol - the Capri uses 60 quid a week at current petrol prices :cry:
[/quote]

The fact it's a wet belt isn't an issue; obviously it's made from a suitable material. The fact that it wasn't designed to be changed however is.... It can be done, it's a bit (lot!) of a pain though!
[/quote]

Ford's probably thought the nylon timing gear on the front of an Essex V6 was made from a suitable material too..
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Mr B wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:54 pm
Same here Nick, we have a little Ecoboost Fiesta now, lovely little car but doesn't have the character of the previous Fiesta plus from what I'm told the timing belt on the Ecoboost engine actually runs through the engine oil and that just doesn't seem like a good idea to me....

I'm lucky with my Capri as she is over 40 years old and so is ULEZ exempt but and its a big but the little Fiesta used 25 quid a week in petrol - the Capri uses 60 quid a week at current petrol prices :cry:
The fact it's a wet belt isn't an issue; obviously it's made from a suitable material. The fact that it wasn't designed to be changed however is.... It can be done, it's a bit (lot!) of a pain though!
[/quote]

Ford's probably thought the nylon timing gear on the front of an Essex V6 was made from a suitable material too..
[/quote]

Well yes, but they quickly proved to be weak, whereas the wet belts are generally reliable up to the recommended 100k mile interval.
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

Like any internal drive part it is tested to last well past its design life but like any of this type of part there will be some that fail a lot earlier for various reasons. There will also be many that last well beyond this time/mileage. I can remember a mate had a belt snap on a brand new Orion, a new engine was fitted under warranty, there was also many cases of those notorious fibre timing gears doing huge mileages. Numerous cold starts, over revving or late oil changes can all be blamed but in truth it can be any or a combination of problems. I have a friend who had a 4 year old Audi that had a very noisy timing chain that was also causing the engine management light to come on due to parts being out of sink, it ended up costing him a couple of months wages to get replaced.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

mjcapri wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:17 pm
Mr B wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:54 pm

[/quote]

Well yes, but they quickly proved to be weak, whereas the wet belts are generally reliable up to the recommended 100k mile interval.
[/quote]

OMG have you seen what's involved in changing that wet belt, it's a complete nightmare and an expensive nightmare too - at least 12 hours to change it, even the horrid Pinto engine (worst engine Ford ever made - until the Ecoboost came along) only took half hour to change it's timing belt! lol
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Mr B wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:35 am
OMG have you seen what's involved in changing that wet belt, it's a complete nightmare and an expensive nightmare too - at least 12 hours to change it, even the horrid Pinto engine (worst engine Ford ever made - until the Ecoboost came along) only took half hour to change it's timing belt! lol
Now you've done it.....
How long before they jump on and 'correct' you?? 😂
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Lynch him, banish him, put him in the stocks, get him!
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

That's him! That's the man! Pintophobe!! Single Over Head Cammist!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.