Type 9 (N) gearbox lock up

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Bud6200
Car(s): 85 Laser 2.0 just acquired ...to be for days out and the odd daily drive

Type 9 (N) gearbox lock up

Post by Bud6200 »

:ford:
Hi Guys , it has been a while , personal circumstances and all that.
Finally getting around to gearbox out and replace seals/gaskets.
Gearbox out not an issue (well not many but managed).
Stated stripping it down , Bell housing off, oil drained, top plate off, 5th gear locking plate off, all going tickedy boo and thats where it stops. :?:
Don't ask me what I have done, I don't know, but when I am trying to select reverse gear, so I can gain access to take the pin out off the gear selector,
end, somehow it has manage to lock up, all I can get is probably 3rd and neutral, :banghead: , is there another way of separating the rear part of the gearbox from the front.
The man on you tube makes it look soooooooo easy , never expected to get it done in five minutes, but can't find anything to guide me through the problem I have.
Any help from the gearbox Guru's would be much appreciated
Regards Paul
:ford:
Bud6200
Car(s): 85 Laser 2.0 just acquired ...to be for days out and the odd daily drive

Re: Type 9 (N) gearbox lock up

Post by Bud6200 »

Right ,

just a quick update, see if this guides anyone a bit nearer to solving my issue.

It is currently stuck in 5th gear , although I can get it into neutral , but it will not come back across the gate, so I can select reverse, thus enabling me
to drive the pin out of the rear on the gear selector shaft.

Regards Paul
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I'm probably not much help because when my gearbox broke I just bought a new one

If it helps though I think I still have that old gearbox in someone's shed if you want it? Was a 5speed manual from a Laser, in my youth I thought it would be a good idea to try and beat a great of GTi of the line and shagged the change into 5th so 5th doesn't work but all the other gears all work fine

Just thought it would mean you can at least drive yours if you swapped them and wanted to look to repair your other one?
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Bud6200

Post by Bud6200 »

D366Y wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:59 pm I'm probably not much help because when my gearbox broke I just bought a new one

If it helps though I think I still have that old gearbox in someone's shed if you want it? Was a 5speed manual from a Laser, in my youth I thought it would be a good idea to try and beat a great of GTi of the line and shagged the change into 5th so 5th doesn't work but all the other gears all work fine

Just thought it would mean you can at least drive yours if you swapped them and wanted to look to repair your other one?
Hi ...sent you a PM.
Regards Paul
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Your problem is Type 9
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Glynnn :lol:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.