Energy prices

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Energy prices

Post by Jasonmarie »

So with the price of gas & electric going up & up I was wondering if I should get a old fashion log burner ? With a Tin Bath for the kitchen and a few candles around the house .
As I know a few of you “ Up North “ all and wales have been coping well all the years with out gas & electric.

Any tips fellas , not you Andrew as I know you have the maid warm your water for you :lol: but do you dress in a sheep skin in the winter ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Energy prices

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I think the price of energy is reasonable...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :sorry: :D :D :D

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

IMG_20220830_062135.jpg
Yep log burner is good , hooked up to the hot water. With wood now 85 bucks for a m³ split and delivered (if you have to buy it ) we burn a grands worth for winter so its actually cheaper to run the heatpump.....but that dont heat the water ,which cost about 100 bucks a month for the letric ,and log burner gets rid of a lot of rubbish too, hell I have even cut up tires and shoved them in there . And the old burner in the workshop deals to my used oil stash ( I get about 75 litres per year ).
We have regulations ( course we #ucking do ) dictating burning efficiency but once the thing is installed nobody does check ups . Ya sorta have to give some thought to what we burn because all our water is collected off the roof and ash does find its way into the storage tank ( 30,000 litres).
When ours is going full tit the flue gets red hot all the way to the roof and it churns out 27kw heat output .
Love it 😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

My olds have had a few log burners and they can be quite spangly - like Hamish their old one used to heat all the water for the house sp was quite handy in that respect.

Current one just looks nice and warms the one room you're in, not so great at actually heating the rest of the house though.

Also if you currently have no fireplace or wood burner then installing one isn't the cheapest thing in the world, and you do get through a metric shitload of wood rather quickly! Taking wood from everyone and everywhere that offers it out for nothing to save paying for it
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

We have been lucky for the last 50 or so years having cheap energy, when I was a kid the house was always cold and the heating just took the chill off,if we were cold we were told to put a jumper on. My mother used to sit with a blanket over her knees watching the TV at night in the winter.

As far as the woodburner goes it is the amount of wood they consume, we have one and in the winter when we put it on you have to feed it at least every hour or it just drops down to a background heat. I get damaged wooden pallets from work and if I chop one up that will last an evening.Big logs are best but getting hold of them at a reasonable price is the problem. I am alway scrounging wood out of skips if I see it.

Saldy I think we are just going to have to get used to these energy prices. It was never going to last forever but we are the ones who are going to suffer. Cheap flights and all that goes with that are another part of this. Most of us have had a cheap flight to x y or z and had a great weekend away but I think that is going to be a thing of the past.

Maybe it is a good thing? The planet can start to recover maybe?
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Problem is moves are being made to restrict or outright ban wood burners.

It's pretty sick really, man has been making fire to keep warm for thousands of millennia. I can't help thinking that you making choices and being independent and having the freedom to choose is being slowly eroded away in favour of you being forced into doing things "the correct way".

All for the greater good of course.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I have phoned a few company’s today to get quotes on a log burner installed, but think this could be a expensive avenue to go down .
I might have to get a chain saw now :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Major_Tom wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:21 am Problem is moves are being made to restrict or outright ban wood burners.
Didn't those restrictions happen a few years ago?
From what I understand, you can still buy and use log burners. There's just a restriction on what fuels you can use. So no more burning old car tyres! :lol:

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:59 am . So no more burning old car tyres! :lol:

Andrew.
🤫Wait till its dark 😉😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh