Capri Horn 2.8i

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Kelvin Pugh
Car(s): Capri 2.8i restoration project

Capri Horn 2.8i

Post by Kelvin Pugh »

Hi Everyone,
As you know I've been doing up my Capri slowly day by day. Ive now got to the horn and want to install new ones, what i need off you clever people is the best way to do this whilst working off the original stalk. I need a simple sketch showing where the wires go and to what fuse, I've tried following the Haynes electrical diagram but unless you're electrically inclined it doesn't make much sense ,or would it be simpler to install a separate horn button/ circuit ?
Thanks for your time - Kelvin
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Capri Horn 2.8i

Post by D366Y »

A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Some uprated horns actually use a fair bit of juice , might be worth fitting a ( fused ) relay to protect original stalk switch 🙂
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Kelvin Pugh

Post by Kelvin Pugh »

Hi Me again,
I've tried the advice given so far but not much joy,ive got new horns and a new harness but still cant work it out ( thicko me ), I've had the horn stalk off and cleaned the contacts and that looks ok.
Can you tell me in simple terms from the fuse box what happens, which fuse is it, does it feed to the horn and then earth or what im totally confused.
Thanks Kelvin
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

What I would do is wire a test lamp up to the horn feed and see if it lights up when when you press the horn button.
If it does, the actual horn is faulty or may even have a bad connection.
If the test lamp does not light, I would test the circuit to see if there is a live feed at the switch.
If yes, the switch could be faulty.
Let us know how you get on.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The horn should be connected to fuse number 1, that's the one closest to the bulkhead.
A feed should go from there into the switch, and from the switch to the horns.
The original horns earth through the mounting brackets.
Remember that some aftermarket horns may not earth through those mounting bracket as the original horns do. If that's the case you'll have to run an earth from the second connector on the horn direct to an earth.

First things first, make sure that the feed wire at the horn is live when the switch is pressed.
:goodluck:

Andrew.
Kelvin Pugh

Post by Kelvin Pugh »

Hi Andrew,
The car has been off the road for 10 years Diff collapsed, rebuilt that then my mate did a dodgy respray but it has been running up until about 3 years ago
Anyway somewhere along the line i must have taken the old horns off and the wiring hence why im getting confused over the correct set up for the horn. I cant use a test lamp because i dont know which fuse but I'll try what you said from fuse no 1 set it up with a horn and horn to earth and see what happens.
Earlier when i was up the garage trying to fathom it out i saw that fuse no 1 is no connection to it on the outfeed side and there was no voltage reading from it either. So thinking just might be what im after,I'll try connecting from fuse no1 to the horn then to earth and see if the stalk switch is the connection,will try tomorrow 🤞🤞🤞
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

If nothing is plugged in to fuse 1 that would be a good giveaway - may be worth posting some pictures if you can and we can point you right from there
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri Cabaret 1.6,Ford Cortina MK5,1992 Ford Sierra Coupe,1988 Ford Sierra Coupe.Ford Sierra XR4i

Post by sierra3dr »

Fuse 1 Mk3.jpg
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Unbolt the horn, place the base of it's mounting bracket on the negative terminal of the battery.
Take a piece of wire and connect it to the positive terminal of the battery then touch the other end to the spade connector on the horn.
You'll soon know if it works as the back of your head will be sore.................

...............from hitting the underside of the bonnet.
Kelvin Pugh

Post by Kelvin Pugh »

Will try that tomorrow Bug,haven't been up garage for a while due to weather etc but will give it a go. Thanks